Oxidation on doors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 24th, 2005, 01:04 PM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Oxidation on doors

Put on a set of SW doors a few weeks ago - body shop guy who painted them warned me that the steel door frame is rusting and that the aluminum skin is oxidizing because of it, and that the paint will eventually blister from it. Well a few weeks have gone by and blisters appeared. Is there anything I can do about this? I have put POR15 on anything visible inside the frame, but can not get between the door skin and frame.

Is there anything to stop the oxidation.

Can cut some 5 bar plate to cover it, but would prefer fixing it.

Thanks,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The pricey option would be to have the skin peeled off, fix the door frame, galvanize it, then put the skin back on. Of course I wouldn't go through the effort for that, it would be cheaper to get another door probably.

Did he say where on the frame it's rusting? You might be able to try thinning down the POR-15 enough that it can wick in beween the frame and skin, and just really put a lot in there.... until it's dripping out the seams basically. Rust just ain't very fun to deal with.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You need to pull the skin off and paint the backside of the steel with something thick and then seam sealer the frame back to the skin. This will prevent the galvanic corrosion which you are seeing though the front.

Then pump waxyoil or similar into the inside of the frame.
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Mer Benz makes a product that is supposed to fix that very prob! I will look into it?!
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:28 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Get a product called "CorrosionX" and spray ti liberally in the seam. It should penetrate and stop further corrosion. It can also be applied on all metal surfaces to prevent rust and corrosion. I recall a review of it in one of those LR mags and after a year of being applied it was still present on the frame and other metal areas.

Of course, the permanent solution is to disassemble and reassemble with seam sealer.
Old August 25th, 2005, 07:21 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mark, I removed the skins on my doors and galv. the frames . I then painted the new door skins inside then installed them with seam sealer on the frames. I did a writeup for Chris to post on the site but he never got around to it yet. I will email him and find out.

By doing this, they should last longer then the rest of the rover.
Old August 25th, 2005, 07:42 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Yes, Randy sent that write up to me but with my recent move, still have to get my main computer setup and running which has the write up on it. Let me see if I cant get that this weekend.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 25th, 2005, 11:44 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

thanks

Thanks for the info - now questions - to take the skin off the frame I need to pry the lip up, and "peel the skin off"? - assume that this skin will be unusable and need to get new ones from oversea?

The seam sealer - is it a urethane?, what is its purpose - make the door more rigid, noise reduction (hahaha)?

Mark
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

If you're careful, the skins shouldn't get dented or need to be replaced. But aluminum isn't as responsive to repetative bending as steel is, which means it may crack around the lip possibly. Probably not, but it is a possiblity if you bend the lip back too far.

The seam sealer is there as a fluid barrier mostly, to keep water and condensation out of the seam areas, which prevents rust in the future. Kinda like a brush-on gasket, usually done after assembly but not always. It also helps cut down on drafts, not that you'd notice on a Defender

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:57 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Seam sealer is a thick soft to semi-soft material that you brush on between seams; you can also apply it with a caulk gun. It acts as an adhesive and a sealer against air, moisture and fluids. For your application it should be applied as an adhesive since you want it to act as a barrier between the different metals.

There's many different types for differenf applications. Search around for 3M's offerings and you'll find a good one.

CorrosionX acts in the same manner - by depositing a film on the metals to make them less reactive when touching eachother. It stops the galvanic reaction (corrosion).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door