Owning a Tdi - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 28th, 2016, 09:59 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Biodiesel can be made from a wide range of raw materials: Cooking oil, Switchgrass or animal fat (soon also Algae!). Unlike ethanol it is particularly suitable for waste products. Because it is so versatile it is therefore also possible to make it from "wrong" kinds of raw products. It's also possible to make it from the right kind of raw products. The choice of raw materials doesn't make biodiesel production in itself good or bad.

It is the underdog of biofuels. Unlike the scam that is ethanol it is actually good for your engine (solvent and lubricant). Even though it is a superior alternative, vested interests wants it to go away because it is so easy to make. For $1000 you can start your own refinery at home. Hard to monopolize a fuel that anyone can make at home. That is why the oil companies in Texas and elsewhere are trying to get it banned.

As Chip (sorry for picking on you again, Chip) and others have shown here there's a lot of myths yet to be dispelled about Biodiesel.

Here a good fact sheet: http://biodiesel.org/docs/default-so....pdf?sfvrsn=16

From the fact sheet: "New cropland is not needed to make biodiesel because it is produced from co-products and byproducts of crops already grown for food and other materials. From 2004 to 2008, when U.S. biodiesel production climbed to 700 million gallons, soybean acres in the U.S. stayed virtually the same, and soybean acres in Brazil decreased. There are surplus stocks of U.S. fats and oils sufficient to meet demand."

I mentioned Palm oil because it is the vegetable oil that currently is contributing to the rain forest destruction as you implied. Although it can be used for biodiesel production it is mostly used for other products.

Palm oil facts: https://www.rainforest-rescue.org/topics/palm-oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Palm Oil? Hu... never thought of it. I was actually thinking more of the ethanol subsidies etc... Although not the same as biodiesel, if bio is made from non-recycled veg-oil, then I thought it would have same origin. Could be wrong! The places I had looked up and had mentioned in the Portland area say they use recycled cooking oil. Is this the case with all biodiesel?
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2016, 10:33 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

That article refers to Biofuels which is not necessarily Biodiesel. It very well could be and is likely to be Ethanol. Different fuel, different raw materials, different impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
In Brazil they have been cutting away at the Amazon for years to make various biofuels mandated by the government.
The Eco-Social Impacts of Biofuel Expansion in Brazilian Amazon | Amazonian Biofuels
------ Follow up post added February 27th, 2016 09:15 PM ------

Same as above. Biofuel doesn't necessarily mean its Biodiesel. Biodiesel is very different from Ethanol.

------ Follow up post added February 27th, 2016 09:19 PM ------

I'll make as separate post about NOx emissions.

Quote:
And Texas has been trying to ban biodiesel use for several years because of NOx emissions.
Biodiesel banned in Texas
Old February 28th, 2016, 10:45 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

NOx

I'm starting to feel bad about the highjack, Ben so I'll keep it brief.

Californias' (and Texas') myopic focus on NOx is misguided. The first graph shows a Carbon Dioxide per joule of energy comparison. The second one is a snapshot from Oregon DEQ.

Yes. In B20 (20% Biodiesel) there is a 2-4% increase on NOx but all other emissions (NOx is only one component) see between 10-20% reduction. In B100 which I run there is a 10% increase in NOx but there is also a 47% reduction in unburned hydrocarbons, 67% reduction in Carbon Monoxide, 80% reduction in greenhouse gases, 100% reduction in sulfates and 80% reduction in Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons.

Can you spell red herring?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BiodieselsCountryOfOrigin.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	143767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 7.26.17 PM.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	143768  

Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2016, 11:41 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Good stuff. As I mentioned, I brain farted and was mentioning the issues of deforestation in thinking about ethanol -- my mind has not fully grasped the diesel life, yet. And further above I had mentioned that I had earlier looked into what it takes to make your own biodiesel, and had researched out the places in Oregon that sell the stuff from recycled cooking oil.

I'm planning on running bio, probably B20, but I'll mix it up from there when I get the chance.

The main reason it came up is because it was years ago that I first looked into it, then I seemed to remember some bad press about it with seals and gaskets, so I was looking for that info in particular.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old March 1st, 2016, 07:08 AM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werrea View Post
For those running electric fans, do you add a small electric fan for Intercooler? With wind and speed impacting airflow, what is the solution for airflow compensation. For example, pulling a hill.

I remember diesel Shoguns/Pajeros a while back having a fan on their intercoolers...not sure how affective they'd be?

Have a wee peep here.

Removing the Pajero Intercooler | Mitsubishi Pajero Owners

Maybe one could be adapted to see if it made a difference if one was interested enough?

All the best

Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré 58112kms
Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins Enduro Moto.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 12:51 PM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
do you by chance have that John Deere water pump bearing part # ?

Good evening Uncle Douglas

The John Deere part number for the viscous fan pulley bearing in the timing cover is JD9257

If I can direct you to read over this thread you should find it informative

Post number 20 is interesting.

300tdi Viscous Fan Bearing - SOLUTIONS! - Page 2 - Australian Land Rover Owners

If Land Rover just made the price of a new cover reasonable they wouldn't loose out in sales by people doing it themselves.

I have two timing covers in my workshop that have bearings that need to be replaced at some point. The last one I got was from a chap off ebay in the UK whereupon he had sourced a limited supply of Jaguar bearings that worked.

I hope you find the info useful.

All the best

Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré 58112kms
Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins Enduro Moto.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi