Owning a Tdi - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 4th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcoa View Post
Ok, lemme ask madman if we can get a discount for a group buy from d-source members without having it all wrapped up as one shipment--if they say yes, I'll start a new thread called "EMS-2 group buy"
Thanks! I am in for an EMS2 plus Tdi kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2016, 06:56 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
The madman might just the answer for getting outputs due to the lack of dash space (read no dash) on the 101

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old February 5th, 2016, 05:12 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Has a new thread on this been started? It looks like they are out of stock.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2016, 12:57 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

I didn't write madman too last night, which is of course sometime early Saturday morning in South Africa, so I probably won't hear anything before Monday....
Old February 11th, 2016, 01:31 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

OK, so madman is figuring out how to give us a discount code for defender source members and make it work with their website. I'm going to start a separate thread in misc chit-chat and will publish discount code info there as soon as I get it.
Old February 11th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
perfect. I'm in

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 11th, 2016, 02:05 PM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88 200Tdi

Yeah, I guess I'm in too. The Madman seems like a better option than adapting all my old Series gauges to work with the Tdi.
Old February 11th, 2016, 02:31 PM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

Yeah I'm also interested
Old February 14th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Timing belt needs changing every Three years of 36k! Don't wait past 3 years for the 36k!!!!

Timing belt is 72,000 Imperial miles (116,000kms) or every 6 six years,which ever comes first.

Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré 58112kms
Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins Enduro Moto.
Old February 14th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
OK, so now that I actually have a running 300Tdi that may be coming home in the next 2-3 weeks. (Won't actually be driving for a bit, but I will be running it/getting to know it.)
  1. What type of oil do you all recommend?
  2. What type of oil change interval?
  3. Warm up on a cold start, or no?
  4. Common symptoms to look for?
  5. Bio fuel? What blend? And for any of the east Portland area plebs, where do you get yours?
  6. Anyone using a vegi oil blend of their own? As in filtering, storing, and using?
  7. Common maintenance items that should be looked at on a regular basis?
For me...

Any good quality 10W40 or 5O that is within spec(found on the label on the oil container)

I change every 5000kms with 3 filters.....pattern filters except oil filter.

I let mine tick over whilst I get my things in order...never need glow plugs....the 200tdi and 300tdi will start without same,where I live.

I just use normal diesel with a bottle of cheap 2 stroke oil dumped in with every fuel fill.

Common servicing....and the odd wee thing to check and to know too....

Valves according to interval as they seldom will be far out. 0.2mm hot or cold.

P gasket will start to weep slowly so when it does order and spend a morning.You'll see a trace of coolant starting on the engine block.

Replace the plastic filler plugs on the thermostat and radiator with brass ones.They can get brittle with heat,age and leak..if not caught can lead to a head gasket fail.

Replace,every now and then,the plastic expansion bottle cap......they can block and cause the expansion bottle to split at the plastic welded seam of same....resulting in head gasket failure.

Disconnect EGR if fitted ...make a blanking plate or buy one.

Disconnect the crankcase to air turbo intake hose as the engine will continue to suck in engine vapour/oil residue to the turbo. I have mine vented into the chassis or one could use a 'catch can'

The plastic engine breather on the middle LHS of the rocker cover....this will weep oil...take off and after rinsing in e.g. petrol replace with a smear of silicon around the O ring on the fitting. This will stop it leaking.

Rinse intercooler out to clean out oil residue,usually annually.

If changing clutch use a reinforced clutch fork or weld a plate onto a new standard one.

Check lower intercooler hose for delaminating inside or turning to jelly...you'll loose power and this is a standard easy cause and fix.

Depending on where you live...you can extent battery life by not using the glow plugs..,as previously stated it'll start without these on a quarter turn. You'll always have a black puff of exhaust upon starting..this is normal.

Check that the top water hose to thermostat is clear of pulley..if touching slightly it can obviously wear through.

Serpentine (alternator belt) tensioner bearing needs checked when dipping for oil each week..if there's play order a new bearing,standard size and easy to find. You can replace same without buying the whole tensioner unit as Land Rover dictates.

Keep an eye on the timing cover pulley bearing for play also..you can find a bearing to replace same instead of buying the whole timing cover as Land Rover,again dictates . It's a John Deere tractor water pump bearing. The mount that the pulley bolts to can break at the bolt holes so check this every now and then.

Don't use Britpart for seals either Corteco (who make the seals for Land Rover)or Bearmach.

If having a sluggish start...bear in mind a lift pump..order same with olives as they don't come with the lift pump.

If anything else springs to mind I'll post.

All the best

Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré 58112kms
Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins Enduro Moto.
Old February 16th, 2016, 01:46 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlins View Post
Check that the top water hose to thermostat is clear of pulley..if touching slightly it can obviously wear through.

A good way to keep this water hose clear of the pulley is the part that's made for that purpose: RN part RNQ86 (I don't have the LR part no. handy), which is a little plastic clip that affixes to the 90 degree bracket (RNN303) atop at 10 o'clock on the water pump pulley housing and holds the hose up and away. I ran mine for a couple thousand miles without one and almost rubbed through the hose. You can route/twist the hose to keep it out of the way, but this really, really keeps it out of the way.
Old February 20th, 2016, 06:25 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Only used EGT in the air.

So explain to me the relationship between the 300Tdi, RPM, EGT, and Boost. What is normal range for these when tuned to approximate stock settings?

1965 IIa SWB
Old February 21st, 2016, 03:41 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Quote:
For me...

Disconnect the crankcase to air turbo intake hose as the engine will continue to suck in engine vapour/oil residue to the turbo. I have mine vented into the chassis or one could use a 'catch can'

Ohlins,
I went out today and began poking around to make this change on mine--I could probably figure something out, but figured I might just plagiarize--what did you use to blank off the hole in the turbo intake hose, and how did you route the hose to the chassis? Did you step it down to a smaller OD and just tuck it in a hole in the chassis on the right?

Thanks in advance...
Old February 24th, 2016, 11:11 AM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcoa View Post
OK, so madman is figuring out how to give us a discount code for defender source members and make it work with their website. I'm going to start a separate thread in misc chit-chat and will publish discount code info there as soon as I get it.
Since the madman EMS discount idea was germinated in this thread, I wanted to provide an update here--the discount is set up and will be effective for the entire month of March.

If interested, please see details here: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...unt-68422.html
Old February 24th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
For me...

Any good quality 10W40 or 5O that is within spec(found on the label on the oil container)

I change every 5000kms with 3 filters.....pattern filters except oil filter.

I let mine tick over whilst I get my things in order...never need glow plugs....the 200tdi and 300tdi will start without same,where I live.

I just use normal diesel with a bottle of cheap 2 stroke oil dumped in with every fuel fill.

Common servicing....and the odd wee thing to check and to know too....

Valves according to interval as they seldom will be far out. 0.2mm hot or cold.

P gasket will start to weep slowly so when it does order and spend a morning.You'll see a trace of coolant starting on the engine block.

Replace the plastic filler plugs on the thermostat and radiator with brass ones.They can get brittle with heat,age and leak..if not caught can lead to a head gasket fail.

Replace,every now and then,the plastic expansion bottle cap......they can block and cause the expansion bottle to split at the plastic welded seam of same....resulting in head gasket failure.

Disconnect EGR if fitted ...make a blanking plate or buy one.

The plastic engine breather on the middle LHS of the rocker cover....this will weep oil...take off and after rinsing in e.g. petrol replace with a smear of silicon around the O ring on the fitting. This will stop it leaking.

Rinse intercooler out to clean out oil residue,usually annually.

If changing clutch use a reinforced clutch fork or weld a plate onto a new standard one.

Check lower intercooler hose for delaminating inside or turning to jelly...you'll loose power and this is a standard easy cause and fix.

Depending on where you live...you can extent battery life by not using the glow plugs..,as previously stated it'll start without these on a quarter turn. You'll always have a black puff of exhaust upon starting..this is normal.

Serpentine (alternator belt) tensioner bearing needs checked when dipping for oil each week..if there's play order a new bearing,standard size and easy to find. You can replace same without buying the whole tensioner unit as Land Rover dictates.

Keep an eye on the timing cover pulley bearing for play also..you can find a bearing to replace same instead of buying the whole timing cover as Land Rover,again dictates . It's a John Deere tractor water pump bearing. The mount that the pulley bolts to can break at the bolt holes so check this every now and then.

Don't use Britpart for seals either Corteco (who make the seals for Land Rover)or Bearmach.

If having a sluggish start...bear in mind a lift pump..order same with olives as they don't come with the lift pump.

If anything else springs to mind I'll post.

All the best

do you by chance have that John Deere water pump bearing part # ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 24th, 2016, 10:46 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Timing belt is 72,000 Imperial miles (116,000kms) or every 6 six years,which ever comes first. .
this is a snapshot from the Haynes manual, it can be interpreted either way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2240474720.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	562.4 KB
ID:	143343
Old February 24th, 2016, 11:02 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Crap that's a short interval if it's actually driven.

Edit.. Hayes recommends 36k!!!
Even shorter

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old February 24th, 2016, 11:23 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Good info and such. Keep it coming.

I was wondering about the relationship between the EGT, boost, and RPM's in a real world situation.

Also, I'm not at all worried about the intercooler and temps during normal operation in most of the weather we have here. But I do travel to 4000-5000 feet on a regular basis, 80-85 degrees.... does the fuel pump compensate for density altitudes? Should I expect to be running richer if I'm at higher alts during the summer? And what does this do to EGT/turbo temps?

1965 IIa SWB
Old February 24th, 2016, 11:28 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I'm wondering the same exact thing.
Old February 24th, 2016, 11:53 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There is no altitude compensation. The effect is small with a turbo.

Other things tend to make more impact. Winds directions affecting intercooler air flow is a big impact. Peak EGTs also change with engine speed and how the pump is setup.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi