oversteer with locker - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 15th, 2007, 07:18 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

oversteer with locker

I recently intalled a Detroit locker in the rear of my D90 and now when I am on the gas through a corner and then take my foot off the pedal while still in the turn, the front end grabs a bit and I get some oversteer. I know now to expect it but it's still kinda unnerving in case of an emergency maneuver. Has anyone with a rear Detroit also had this problem. I installed a True Trac in the front a week later and there was no improvement or change.
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Are you absolutely sure you don't have a bad bushing on one of the control arms? I replace them yearly just because of the bad oversteering they cause. Might just be coincidence that you noticed it after the Detroit install....

My thoughts.

Doug W.
Old March 15th, 2007, 07:35 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

RTE longtravel lift will be here in about a month. I'll change them then. Might be a coincidence like you said.
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2007, 07:35 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

This is the way I believe it is happening.

The detroit wants to push you straight when locked, and it will lock up under load, so on the gas, and you aren't able to turn as well, get off the gas, the locker unlocks, becomes a diferential, and you can turn again.

I know I can't turn for poop if my rear ARB is locked.
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Tom Fitzgerald
Tom Fitzgerald
97 D90 SW

Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrad
I recently intalled a Detroit locker in the rear of my D90 and now when I am on the gas through a corner and then take my foot off the pedal while still in the turn, the front end grabs a bit and I get some oversteer. I know now to expect it but it's still kinda unnerving in case of an emergency maneuver. Has anyone with a rear Detroit also had this problem. I installed a True Trac in the front a week later and there was no improvement or change.

Common behavior for a Detroit. Had one in the rear of a Toy PU once. It is as Tim says, once you lift off the throttle, the rear unlocks and unloads a good bit of bind and it's actually the rear coming around on you a bit more so than the front 'grabbing'.

It's a trait you can adapt to, but will remain unsettling, especially on an exit ramp in the rain.....my deductible alone made an ARB a wise upgrade at the time!

Tom
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:27 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

You have to either coast around a ramp or stay on the gas the whole way, common DT behavior as stated above.
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:39 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Thanks so much for the input. I read a thread on which locker has the best road manners and most people said ARB. I didn't want to fuss with air seals and lines and a pissy little compressor, not to mention having to turn it on "when you may need it". No offense to ARB but I didn't think it was for my kind of wheeling. However, nobody mentioned the oversteer factor in that thread in regards to ARB. I guess it's time to change my driving style a bit, depending on the vehicle of the day. I have always entered turns a little quicker and then let off the gas midway instead of hitting the brakes. Now I'll have to enter at the correct speed and accellerate through the turn, like you should do anyway.

Problem Solved
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:02 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

I have a Detroit in my 110 and I had one in my Discovery before that. I've never, to my knowledge, had any issue with oversteer. Understeer, sure, except it's not really the same as understeer in a car as it's the rear diff that's driving it rather than the centre of gravity.

I'm not disagreeing with anything anyone else has said, and I guss my experiences are different as I've only driven longer wheelbase vehicles with the Detroit for any distance.

The places you really notice the Detroit are in sand and snow. The vehicle mostly wants to track in a straight line a bit more. IMHO it makes it a bit less fun in sand, and it can cause it to crab sideways a bit in snow. I just went through all winter with my 110 though and I'm still happy it's in there.

- Andrew.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions