Overheating with AC on - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 10th, 2009, 12:41 PM
nmc
Noel Corpus
1997 Defender 90 LE

Overheating with AC on

I Just read a few of the older posts regarding overheating in general and one in particular addressing overheating with the AC on, but I could still use some help in resolving my issue.

Vehicle:
97 SW

Situation:
Overheats w/AC on and vehicle idling at a stoplight or driving at parking lot speeds.

Measures already taken:
Replaced fan clutch
Replaced thermostat
Checked for coolant leaks - none
Radiator flushed
Water wetter added

My guess:
Problem is with AC condenser fan switch. I've read in a previous post that the fan is intermittent and comes on once a specific temperature is reached. However, I recently spoke to someone at British Pacific that was under the impression that it comes on as soon as the AC is turned on. Can anyone resolve the disparity in the two answers that I read/heard? In my case, the AC condenser fan is not coming on at the same time I turn on the AC.

Thanks.
Noel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2009, 12:44 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

On my 110 the fan comes on with the AC.
Old July 10th, 2009, 12:49 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

The a/c condenser fan can get on via two grounds, one is a
thermoswitch and the other is a small electronic control box,
at least this is the set up in my Tdi a/c.
In my case it doesn't start as soon as i turn a/c on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2009, 02:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

On my 95 and LWB (so I assume on your 97 too) the fan is supposed to come on when the AC is turned on AND when the coolant temp hits a certain level even if the AC is off.

My trick when I get anywhere over half way is to turn on the AC but with the temp control on hot so the compressor does not run but the electric fan does.
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:57 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

On both my 97's the fan comes on at a prescribed temp. I have heard the fans come on, even with out the AC being on, when ever the temp reaches a certain threshold.

Old July 10th, 2009, 03:55 PM
nmc
Noel Corpus
1997 Defender 90 LE

Thanks for the responses.

The temps in Central Cali normally hit triple digits during the summer and I recall last summer that the fan would continue to run for a few minutes even after I had turned off the vehicle.

Somone else suggested that I disconnet the fan from the fan temp switch and place a paper clip across the connection...if the fan turns on, this would indicate that there is a problem with the fan temp switch.

I'll probably end up changing switch since it seems to be a fairly cheap and straight forward to remove and replace.

If there are any other suggestions please post a response.

Thanks again for the responses so far.
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmc
Thanks for the responses.

The temps in Central Cali normally hit triple digits during the summer and I recall last summer that the fan would continue to run for a few minutes even after I had turned off the vehicle.

It is supposed to do that.
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:30 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The only other option, if everything else has been replaced or working fine, is to add an additional fan, either a pusher or a puller to augment the current set up.

If the outside temperatures are into the triple digits consistently, and you are driving at low speeds, you may not have enough air flow.

Old July 11th, 2009, 06:04 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Also, if the AC is left in the on position, the fan should come on for a second when the vehicle is started. I found both of mine were rusted and would not turn, so I had to replace the fan on both of mine. It is only enough to let the fan turn for a split second. Make sure your fan is able to spin freely by using a pen to push the blades while the truck is off.

97 D90 SW
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:13 PM
nmc
Noel Corpus
1997 Defender 90 LE

I have the AC Fan switch (part #PRC3505) in hand and have looked at the thermostat housing, but can't seem to find where this connects. Any idea as to the location of this switch on a 97 D90. I don't have a workshop manual on hand to reference.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, overheating