Overheating...trying to head to MAR...help - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 3rd, 2014, 05:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebby View Post
Hoses are pressurizing. Jake...only thing I just thought of is a 95 water pump is different than the 97...and some of the discos. Hope the Hayden still bolts up?
They are different!
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2014, 06:18 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
For future reference, if you turn the temperature control for the a/c all the way back (warmest setting) the compressor will not run but the condenser fan will. There is no need to pull fuses or disconnect anything. This may not be the case for all Defender a/c systems, but it is for my '95.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 07:49 PM
tebby
Justin Tebbenkamp
95 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Why do you think you are overheating and under what circumstances? The fan only locks up when the temp starts to rise. Generally they can be stopped easily about 95% of the time. When they do lock up you can hear the difference. If the fan has failed it may just be masking another issue ... For example is the radiator hot at the bottom? They can sediment up and have poor flow. When you do get to mar you way want to do some more investigations.
Temp gauge normal at 50-70mph. As soon as I stop or proceed slowly...temp gauge rises. Got the temp gauge to rise while parked w tach around 3k for 4-5 mins. As far as I know I have original radiator w 124k miles...so I know I prob need to replace that as well. Will was able to order me the correct part and replacing in the am. Will see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Will is the best. Make sure you have the right tools to swap it.
Old October 4th, 2014, 07:35 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebby View Post
Temp gauge normal at 50-70mph. As soon as I stop or proceed slowly...temp gauge rises. Got the temp gauge to rise while parked w tach around 3k for 4-5 mins. As far as I know I have original radiator w 124k miles...so I know I prob need to replace that as well. Will was able to order me the correct part and replacing in the am. Will see what happens.
Ok so you have one of 2 issues. Insufficient cooling capacity or excess heat being generated. The fan clutch may or may not be working and changing might help but won't solve this.

Assuming you aren't losing water I would suggest a few things. Radiator is most obvious. Might be blocked at the bottom restricting the flow of water round the engine. You can check this but seeing if it's cold at the bottom when the top is hot. Solution is new rad, re-core or maybe a flush.

Another possibility is the water pump. If it's corroded away internally it might not be moving enough water.

The other issue may be you are generating too much heat ... This means that heat from combustion is getting straight into the water. That would suggest a head gasket or cylinder head type issues. You would experience some water loss at some point.

Good luck ..!!!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:18 AM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
+1 for water pump
Old October 4th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Since the fan clutch is easy to replace don't hesitate to replace. However given that temps aren't high now replacing the water pump or at least adding one to your parts bin would be prudent.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions