Overheating....still.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 26th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Overheating....still....

Ok, I'm looking for more suggestions as to why I'm still overheating.
So far I've replaced the fan clutch, thermostat, and pulled and rodded the radiator.

Symptoms:
When driving around town I have no problems, i.e. driving to work, the store etc. When driving longer distances like 30+ miles I start to see it. Temps run fine until I slow down like get off the freeway. Then the needle quickly climbs to redline and I shut it off. If I let it cool for 5-10 minutes it gets cool enough to get moving again and once I get up to speed it's fine again, running a bit hot actually but nothing major. The fan is spinning so it's not the fan clutch as I replaced it with a brand new one. Nothing has been done to the engine lately.

My next guess is water pump. Possibly not moving coolant at maximum efficency. Moving enough through the radiator to keep it cool at speed with airflow over the radiator but once slowed it can't keep up. What else could it possibly be?
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2005, 07:50 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Head gaskets or a cracked cylinder liner maybe?
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 26th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Check out this thread: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...apa+block+test

Also, if it were me (and it was) I would get a block test kit from Napa is #700-1006 and check the radiator fluid for exhaust gasses (just follow the instructions with the kit). It is like $50, but you can use it and reuse it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Test the gauge. If it's like the 93, there's a chip between the sender and gauge. Could be any of the three -- sender, 'conditioning chip' or gauge.
Old June 26th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Test the gauge. If it's like the 93, there's a chip between the sender and gauge. Could be any of the three -- sender, 'conditioning chip' or gauge.
It's definitely overheating. There is no chip on mine as I had the bezel off yesterday too. I'll be checking for engine gasses in the coolant as soon as I can. For now, it's sitting in the garage thinking about what it did.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
overheating