Overheating Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 5th, 2005, 05:12 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Overheating Question

I know that several guys (including myself) are currently having overheating problems and there are several possible causes. My question is a general one regarding what you are actually seeing and hearing when you overheat. My mechanic is suspecting a false reading from the gauge. He says if I was truly overheating, coolant would be spilling out and it would be gurgling and hissing loudly. I have never had this happen, even with the needle at the beginning of the red. Anybody experiencing these things when you overheat?

My hoses, thermostat, water pump, fan clutch are all new. Radiator has good flow. I'm not leaking or losing coolant at all. I've already ordered a mechanical gauge and adapter to replace the electronic temp sender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

You usually hear it and it overflows--at least the first time--but I would not use that as an indication. I would get a Infrared temp reader and take readings at your upper hose and the coils on the radiator. If they are above 220, you are overheating. Otherwise, I would start with the gauge and thermostat.
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:09 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
You usually hear it and it overflows--at least the first time--but I would not use that as an indication. I would get a Infrared temp reader and take readings at your upper hose and the coils on the radiator. If they are above 220, you are overheating. Otherwise, I would start with the gauge and thermostat.
That's what the mechanic did. He never got a reading over 215, even after letting it run for 2 hrs on a hot day. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

For those that don't already own an IR Temp gauge, they can also be used to check if a cylinder is firing (checking exhaust manifold temps) if brake pads are rubbing (check to make sure disc temps are the same temp--if one is hot, that one is binding), making sure your beer is still cold (not too cold--you would ruin the hops aroma)....money well spent for anyones toolkit. You can get a nice one for about $40 off ebay.
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT94D90
That's what the mechanic did. He never got a reading over 215, even after letting it run for 2 hrs on a hot day. Thanks.
When it was at 215 what did the gauge inside show? 215 is still a bit warm, the thermostat should open around 190-195 unless it is one of the lower T-stats that open at 160 or so. The few times mine overheated coolant came out the over flow tank, the first couple times I didn't even notice it was leaking coolant because it would run down the tanks drain hose onto the road, I smelt it before I saw it. Have you pulled the radiator out to see if there is any mud trapped init?

With an IR temp gauge you can also check the radiator, when the engine is up to running temp for a while check all over the radiator for cold spots indicating a blockage in the radiator.

Some other things to take note of are when is it over heating, highway, offroad, around town, after short trips or long trips?
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:36 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Mike - He has not been able to get the gauge to show hot, that's part of the problem. The needle was just a tick right of center when he got the 215. I asked him to pull the radiator and flush it with water to see if mud was in there (in the sides, like you mentioned at the campground). There is no rhyme or reason to when it gets hot. It does it on the trail, but not always. It does it driving on the freeway, but not always. It does it driving 5 min to the grocery store. But then, I can drive around town all day on a 90 degree day, and it won't ever get hot. In fact, it hasn't done it since I got back from Pa.

I'm pretty certain that coolant has never spilled out, the level in the expansion tank never changes.
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmm, sounds like my old 3.9. Sometimes I would go for months without a hitch, then one day when it's 40 out it decides to over heat. Most of the time I think mine was just a build up of pressure from a small leak in the head gasket (real small maybe a pinhole) that pushed coolant out a little at a time until there was not enough coolant in the system. I found this all out by putting a catch bottle in the cab to catch the coolant as it came out a little at a time. Sometimes the system would be low and the overflow tank would be empty other times it would be low and the overflow tank would be half full, but when I took the cap off the system would loose pressure and then the overflow tank would drain back into the radiator. It was all very weird.

Just too be safe I would buy that test kit from Napa and check too see if there is a head gasket leak. Oh and mine always over heated at the most inopportune times like in the middle of a real tuff trail or on the way to work.
Old July 10th, 2005, 08:56 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

I have the fans comming on when the temp reaches 175 and it keeps it at that,is this to low?????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 10th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Thatís fine; the fans only come on when hot coolant from the engine runs past the sensor in the top of the radiator. Coolant only runs through there when the Thermostat opens, so the thermostat controls the engine temp, the fans will stay on until the coolant is nice and cool, below 175 by the time the coolant near the fan sensor gets to 175. The fans can come on at really any point you want bellow 200, but I would play it safe and leave it at 175. Does your temp gauge read 1/2 most of the time? If so I would guess your T-stat opens at somewhere around 195 which is a good running temp. Running cooler is less efficient and you won't be burning off al the condensation inside the engine, running hotter and you start running the risk of overheating.
Old July 12th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

This past weekend we ran the NVTR in Nevada. Lots of mountian shelf climbs. 103 degrees was the high on the desert floor. On climbs I got as hot as 228 degrees (top hose analog aftermarket gauge) with no issues. Have 600 more miles on her now since then and all is well.

Drove back to L.A., top outside temp was 106 degrees in Bishop CA. With AC on and cruising at 80 mph temp, ran around 210 degrees. On two or three mountain passes I had to turn the AC off when temp reached 222 degrees.

BTW, Chammy was second in the off-road time trial run, beaten only by Wicks (driving his brother's LWB) by 3 seconds on a two minute course. Shattered one engine mount and bent the front steering bar, but man it was fun!

Doug W.
Old July 12th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

COOL! Glad it is not over heating anymore, or as bad. Congrats on NVTR!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
overheating