overheating issue--viscous fan - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 27th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

overheating issue--viscous fan

I had a little overheating going on last weekend while running HolyCross in Colorado at trail speeds. It seems to be the viscous fan is on it's last legs. I am looking for possible solutions--has anyone tried to tap theirs and install something like STP which is heat sensitive or install an electric fan? I am looking for ideas.

Since this is primarily a trail rig, an electric fan may be a good idea--I am not too keen on a 50 amp draw, though, but I suppose it would be O.K. if need be. Anyone install one like a Kenlowe or something?

Looking for CB style solutions if possible.

Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well I put a Flex-a-Lite 210 in mine, it costs around $200, it draws about 30 amps. I don't know what else would fit, if you really want to save $$$ then measure how much room you have, go to the junk yard and pull an electic fan off of a car for cheap. I have heard that the Ford Taurus fans pull allot of air so you may want to check those out. You may be able to use 2 fans, you would be likly to find small fans in an import and put them side by side. To turn the fans on you could use the right up in the FAQ section here

http://www.defendersource.com/faq/En...ngCooling.html

Scroll down to the Fan section and at the bottom there is a little write up about a temp sensor you can wire in to turn your e-fans on and off with when the engine gets hot.

Check this out if you go the flex rout.

http://www.defendersource.com/mod/fan.html
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:54 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Or just put a screw through it and it's on all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2004, 12:50 AM
MiniGuy
Andrew Mobley

I'm going to have to go check my fan tomorrow. I replaced the radiator, thermostat, and all hoses last fall to combat an overheating problem. Now it only overheats when I am idling or going very slow on the trails. I'm sure the viscous fan is shot after 79k miles. . . . .
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Nobrega
Andrew Nobrega
'94 Defender 90

I'm having the same issue, overheating at slow speeds. Is a new fan install easy?
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well, I would check to make sure it is the fan first, after the engine has warmed up a good bit shut off the engine, then grab the fan and try to spinn it, it should be hard to turn. If it is not hard to turn then you may just need a new fan. The hardest part is getting the big nut that holds it on off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fan, overheating