Overheating fun... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 16th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Overheating fun...

Headed up to SCARR2 this past Friday. Got about 2 hours up the road and when we pulled off for gas the truck started overheating. No problem before we pulled off, temp was reading a normal 1/2 on the gauge, once we slowed, it red-lined. We topped off the coolant as it looked a bit low and hit the road again. No problems for the rest of the drive. We got to Barnwell, unloaded the trucks and hit the trails. No problems on the trails for a while then it did it again. It red-lined, we pulled off and topped it off again. I drove back into town and found a guy to do a flush and fill at 6pm on a Friday, just in case. Had no problems the rest of the weekend. I even towed out a Classic, after it broke a radius rod, with no problem for two miles in 1st low.
On the way homw we had the same problem, at cruising speed everything was fine, second we left the highway and hit city streets things started to heat up.

I'm guessing it's a bad radiator with restricted flow. I would have thought it would have overheated out on the trails though with all the hours over two days of idling and crawling along in 1st/2nd. I checked the fan clutch and it spins freely when the engine is warm. No leaks in the system. Is there anything we may have missed? A new radiator is a budget breaker right now after getting prepped for SCARR so I'm hoping to find something cheaper to try first.

And for reading all this I'll include of pic of my truck at SCARR for your enjoyment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01527.sized.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	3174  
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Ok, the fan clutch spins freely when warm, but does it clamp up tight when cold? That's the important part.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Ok, the fan clutch spins freely when warm, but does it clamp up tight when cold? That's the important part.
I wouldn't say tightly. I can spin it a bit, like 1/4 turn or a bit less. From my reading around it looks like the fan clutch could be the problem. Also looks like more than a couple people have hit this recently. I guess as summer approaches we start to see these things.
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Am I ass-backwards on this one?

If the fan spins freely when warm, I think that's a problem. Common sense tells me I want that clutch to grab and spin the fan when warm, hence, hard to turn. When the engine is cold I don't care if the fan is turning or not, so it should spin freely.

Old May 16th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Find a way to check the coolant temperature to verify the reading on the gauge when hot. IMO, the stock gauge is a liar.

Doug W.
Old May 16th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Whooooooops. You're correct.

Fan spin freely when cold, clamp up when hot.... that's what it should be.

Again, though, if ANYBODY has a dead fan-clutch, can I please get one from you? I'm trying to source some replacements and possible upgrades, but don't have one availble that I can carry around to the parts counters to compare stuff.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 16th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:

Ok, so, no spin when cold and easy spinning when hot is bad from what I see. I guess it's a bad fan clutch. Thanks for the help, now to find a replacement. I may drag it around to some stores and see if I can find a substitution part.

Follow-up Post:

One more quick one. Is it possible to just lock it to the shaft so it always spins? We're headed in to summer here in Texas and temps don't drop below 80, even at night. This would at least get me a couple weeks before I get the money to do a replacement.
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:13 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillo90
Ok, so, no spin when cold and easy spinning when hot is bad from what I see. I guess it's a bad fan clutch. Thanks for the help, now to find a replacement. I may drag it around to some stores and see if I can find a substitution part.
Galpin was trying to get rid of a fan clutch. He may still have it.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Again, though, if ANYBODY has a dead fan-clutch, can I please get one from you? I'm trying to source some replacements and possible upgrades, but don't have one availble that I can carry around to the parts counters to compare stuff.
-Hans
If and when I get my electric fan setup going you're welcome to mine - if you still need something by then.
-scott
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:42 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Whooooooops. You're correct.

-Hans
I have one, pm me your address and I'll mail it to you.

charles
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:11 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillo90
Is it possible to just lock it to the shaft so it always spins?
Yes, drill a hole right through the metal fins of the clutch fan. Insert bolt, tighten with nut, fan is LOCKED

Seriously, this does work, although the silicon will leak out and get quite messy. However, you have to realize that currently, even when warm, our fans release after a certain RPM. With a bolt through it, it won't. This makes the truck extremely loud, and will affect gas mileage for sure, but I don't think anything else. I'd personally consider this a very short term fix and wouldn't leave it this way for long.

The releasing is one the reasons testing the clutch fan is so difficult. It can throw off the normal testing procedures folks mention. At an idle, when the engine is hot, the fan should be stiff, much like it is when the truck hasn't been running for a while. But even if it's not, it could be you were just traveling at a high speed and the fan had released, but not re-engaged yet. The fans do get stiff when cold too, which is counter intuitive, but true. That's why when you first start it after sitting a while (overnight, etc), you get a lot of fan noise... drive down the road, raise RPM... fan noise gone.... it has released.

The way I test my fan is get the truck good and warm, then let it sit idling for 5-10 mins, so I can be reasonably sure the fan should have reengaged. Watch the gauge to make sure it's at it's high point for your truck, or if you're experiencing mild overheating, it'll be easier to test. Open the hood, and from under there, rev the engine via the throttle body, up to about 1500-2000 rpm... If you get a face full of wind and a lot of fan noise, your clutch fan is PROBABLY working. Keep reving up over say 2500 and the fan should release, easing both the wind and noise. That way you can see the difference.

That being said, these are maintanance items, and should be replaced ~ 50K miles (IMHO). If you're having cooling issues at idle, and you haven't yet replaced the clutch fan, replace it... it probably needs it and it'll at least cross one item off the list.

Good luck,
Dave
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by souza
Yes, drill a hole right through the metal fins of the clutch fan. Insert bolt, tighten with nut, fan is LOCKED

Seriously, this does work, although the silicon will leak out and get quite messy. However, you have to realize that currently, even when warm, our fans release after a certain RPM. With a bolt through it, it won't. This makes the truck extremely loud, and will affect gas mileage for sure, but I don't think anything else. I'd personally consider this a very short term fix and wouldn't leave it this way for long.
Looks like I won't have to use this temp 'fix' but will make a note of it for future use. Thanks to my good buddy Charles, I've got a new one on the way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
overheating