Overheating after 2.5TD reswap - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 28th, 2014, 03:11 PM
grapplerdan
Dan
1989 110 CSW 200TDi--now with 19J

Overheating after 2.5TD reswap

I just picked up my 110 from the local garage after their swap out of the 200TDi and putting a 2.5TD back in...runs good but they struggled with some things as they 'tried to fit the engine in'. I am here in Germany getting ready to PCS back stateside to Ft Benning around 4 July. This has been a nightmare.

On the first drive home, she was driving great but there is a whine from I think the turbo...is that normal? Also, as long as I am driving below 55mph, she is good, but if I go up a hill or try to go 60 on the autobahn, she climbs up to the red. Is this because the 200TDi radiator and intercooler were kept in? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I plan on swapping the thermostat and could swap the radiator, but don't want to get a 2.5TD radiator, as I'd like to either put the 200tdi back in or eventually upgrade to a 300tdi when I do the ground up restoration. This is just a frustrating issue at a crucial time. I just have to get it ready to ship by the end of June. Any ideas?
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature..., without it, the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness.
Joseph Addison (1672 - 1719)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2014, 04:37 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Fan clutch maybe? Water pump possibly? Thermostat failed open perhaps? Those are the three little birds I'd swap first. All reasonably priced
Old May 28th, 2014, 04:51 PM
beast
the beast
2003/Defender 90

head gasket possibly going bad...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
2.5 td didn't have an inter cooler so if they plumbed that up, it must look pretty interesting under the hood. How well do the fan and fan shroud meet or is there even a fan shroud ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 28th, 2014, 08:40 PM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

Is it really overheating ?
200 TDI and 2.5 td used different temp. sensors . Just hooking them up gives fals reading
Old May 28th, 2014, 09:42 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
get a laser temp gun to make sure it actually is overheating before you start doing much else. I had a similar issue, whenever I would be driving faster the needle would climb which made it really seem like it was overheating but it turned out to be a bad ground for the gauge.
Old May 29th, 2014, 03:23 AM
grapplerdan
Dan
1989 110 CSW 200TDi--now with 19J

I will try to track down a laser temp gun; hard to get one over here in Germany and it would likely arrive too late if I ordered one.

I pulled off the grill and sprayed down the radiator to see if it might just be clogged/dirty. Some antifreeze/coolant trickled out as well, so I definitely need to replace the radiator due to it starting to fall apart. The fan and shroud meet up well; it is the shroud from the 200tdi. The intercooler is interesting, as they did connect it in somehow. I'll get a photo tonight.

I will order the thermostat and 2.5td sensor today. Maybe even a water pump just for fun.

It is a Germany holiday today, or I'd have taken it back to the shop. They are closed until Monday...
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature..., without it, the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness.
Joseph Addison (1672 - 1719)
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:55 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
X2 on the gauge; the temp sensor itself might be faulty or the wiring might be broken (it is old and was just pulled off and on). Also a cheap bit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions