Overheating?! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 23rd, 2016, 12:39 PM
Yorkie
Mark Whitehouse
1989 D90

Registry
Overheating?!

So my Defender has not been run for about 4 weeks due to an issue with an immobilizer that would not switch off. Just got that sorted and its now back and running.

However the temp gauge is now going very high and occasionally in the RED after just a few miles. Coolant levels were fine. I have removed the thermostat to check if it was faulty and it seemed OK opening when I expect it to open. I have just run it again without the thermostat in place and the gauge is still showing it running hot, just below the red section. However I took the temp of the coolant in the radiator and it showed a temp of 67C

Is this a faulty temp sensor or am I missing something? I have not checked the water pump yet as I am unsure how to do that. This vehicle does not use a clutch fan but an after market electric fan.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2016, 09:34 PM
Yorkie
Mark Whitehouse
1989 D90

Registry
Any advice help? What should I check next?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2016, 11:10 PM
Matt_110
Matt

From what you've shared, it seems like a faulty temp sensor or gauge. Maybe list the engine type and you'll get someone with a better answer. I'm not smart on electrickery
Old July 24th, 2016, 07:05 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Sensors do go bad but you want to also buy an IR temp gun for $25 and check the temps at the tstat housing, top/bottom hoses and top/bottom of the rad. This will tell you if the coolant is moving. The top end should be hotter as it leaves the engine and cooler at the bottom as it passes through the rad if everybody is doing their part.

With that said a water pump can have a bad bearing and not work properly. You can check for play at the pulley. Ever-so-slight movement is a sign that it is worn and in its way out. I check it with a screwdriver wedged between pulley and pump with a slight wiggle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 24th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Yorkie
Mark Whitehouse
1989 D90

Registry
Thanks guys. I will get a IR Thermometer and check. If it is the sender which I suspect I will probably replace that and the gauge and go VDO. The engine is a 3.5 V8.

Thanks
Mark
Old July 25th, 2016, 06:46 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
Thanks guys. I will get a IR Thermometer and check. If it is the sender which I suspect I will probably replace that and the gauge and go VDO. The engine is a 3.5 V8. Thanks Mark
you also might try cleaning the connectors at the sensor and check for tightness. i recently had a solenoid connection work itself to a point where it was not functioning properly. cleaned it up and checked for tightness, back in business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 25th, 2016, 07:55 AM
Yorkie
Mark Whitehouse
1989 D90

Registry
Thanks all. I will check the connections. I have ordered an IR thermometer so will check all temps using that before I rush in and do anything.

Thanks for putting up with all my newbie questions. I have never really worked on cars before and I am not that mechanically minded. But every time something goes wrong I try to learn from it and understand a bit more about this wonderful vehicle I own.
Old July 25th, 2016, 08:06 AM
chuckc4
chuck b

Out of curiosity, how old is your radiator?
Old July 25th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Sounds exactly like the time my radiator suffered an internal failure and blocked up.
With reduced cooling capacity overheating is to be expected. I could only drive a few miles until it overheated.
Be interesting if you can tell the hotter parts of the radiator with the IR gun.
Old July 25th, 2016, 10:50 AM
usadventureracing
Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Sounds exactly like the time my radiator suffered an internal failure and blocked up.
With reduced cooling capacity overheating is to be expected. I could only drive a few miles until it overheated.
Be interesting if you can tell the hotter parts of the radiator with the IR gun.
The same issue above happened to my 3.5, new radiator was what I needed.
Old August 1st, 2016, 03:34 PM
Yorkie
Mark Whitehouse
1989 D90

Registry
So I bought an IR Gun and run the car until the temp needle was at the very top of the white section. I didn't want to take it in to the Red! The temps were as follows:

Top Radiator Hose 99c
Bottom Radiator Hose 92c
Temp Sender Housing 105c

So do I have an issue with Radiator, Sender or something else. I removed the Thermostat completely so that is out of the running.
Old August 1st, 2016, 03:45 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Bad water pump?
Old August 1st, 2016, 06:23 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
So I bought an IR Gun and run the car until the temp needle was at the very top of the white section. I didn't want to take it in to the Red! The temps were as follows: Top Radiator Hose 99c Bottom Radiator Hose 92c Temp Sender Housing 105c So do I have an issue with Radiator, Sender or something else. I removed the Thermostat completely so that is out of the running.
Silted up radiator
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
overheating