overheating - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 26th, 2009, 11:17 AM
derickson
Dennis
95/D90

overheating

I know there were several threads on this topic, but I could not find the details I was searching for. I have only had my D90 about 8 months and and only drove it occasionally since I purchased it and had no heating issues until this weekend. It had been sitting for a couple months and I took it out in the 80 deg weather and got stuck in traffic and noticed the temp gauge slowly went up the the edge of the red. This happened after sitting still for about 15 min. When running on highway or even driving around in the city, the needle stays right in the middle. Rather than let it overheat, I shut it off to cool. The expansion tank did not overflow nor did I smell antifreeze, so I didn't technically overheat.

I recall seeing a thread that mentioned how to check and see if the fan was engaging correctly. When the truck was running and parked, the clutch fan was engaged and blowing air. When I turned the engine off, I grabbed the fan and it was very easy to turn. I thought the thread mentioned that it should be hard to turn if the engine was warmed up and not moving? I don't have any auxilary electric fans on the truck. Could this just be as simple as getting a new fan clutch? If not, I guess my next step would be to have the cooling system flushed? Any other thoughts? Sorry, I now there are a ton of threads on this, but I could not find the details on the same sympton as this.

Thanks

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2009, 11:35 AM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Your fan clutch is gone.

Replace it, or remove it and install electric fans in its place.
Old April 26th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

To add on top of that, I'd also make sure there isn't any gunk built up between the fins in the radiator. Pull the grille off and see if you've got any leaves, bird remains, mud or other crap in there.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2009, 11:50 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes on all fronts. Avoid the aftermarket fan clutches. I have seen several fail very quickly.

Ron
Old April 26th, 2009, 05:26 PM
derickson
Dennis
95/D90

Thanks for the info guys. I did check for junk in the radiator and it looks clean, but I need to pull the grill off to be sure. Good advice on the aftermarket fan clutch. I will go OEM and hopefully that will fix the problem.
Old April 26th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Wouldn't hurt to get it flushed as well.
Old April 26th, 2009, 07:45 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Yes on all fronts. Avoid the aftermarket fan clutches. I have seen several fail very quickly.

Ron

You are the only person I have heard say this. Most everyone talks shit about the stock replacements. ive tried aftermarket fan clutch and it doesnt appear to work any better that stock. The replacement that I got from autozone had the same part number as what I removed. It was a "torgflow" I think the best option would be the electric fans but even they arent perfect. I think these low mileage (relatively speaking) trucks can benefit from a serious cooling system flush and radiator rodding.
Old April 26th, 2009, 09:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

By the way, I am not talking about the autozone ones (I don't have enough data points with those), I am talking about the ones bearmach et al were selling. They would work for a short while and then lock up permanently.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
overheating