Overheated in Georgia - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 4th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
just buy a new one. boom done. radiator is too important to take chances on and too cheap to bother salvaging.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

burping. All I've ever done is remove expansion tank cap, fill it to max and run the engine with heater on max as well. Takes patience and often a couple of tries. Top up as necessary.

Only time my D1 ever did anything like this was when the AC system crapped out and AC fans didn't work. So of course I blame the addition of the AC system for your woes.......

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 4th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
no need to run heater on a D as there is no cutoff for matrix. RRC and other rovers are a different story.

bleeding is just removing plug on thermostat housing and radiator while filling. recheck level in expansion after reaching temp. rave covers this process

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by COJ142 View Post
Thanks everyone for the insights. I'm learning a lot in the process.

Transfer case code is 22D so 1.410. So I think that's eliminated.

I may be at the point of getting a new radiator but really wanted to test it first to know for sure.

Jonesy- thanks for help. I'm not 100% sure there's no air in system. I don't have stands. Is there another way to de-burp it?

CdnRover- HG is good. Water pump is new. Cap seems A-okay. Had handbrake redone in last 6 months. AC fan is def taking up space in front of radiator but I imagine the other 200TDIs w AC that are out there not overheating are a testament that the AC fan and radiator can coexist.

I'm going to find out what it costs to test/flush the radiator. If it's over $100 I might just buy a new one
Buy a radiator. Tdi system is self bleeding and doesn't have the issues the v8's do.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 4th, 2014, 11:00 AM
COJ142
Michael Giroux
1985 Defender 110 CSW RHD

Boom. This may be the most excited I've been to spend $300. If this solves it I owe you all drinks!

Any thoughts on where/what radiator to buy. I see RN has the Proline one for $269. Any thoughts on that front before I pull the trigger?

As an aside, it's mid 70's in DC right now and I've been cruising around the beltway all morning at 60-65 mph without any issues. It's amazing the difference that 20 degrees cooler outside temp makes.
Old July 5th, 2014, 11:43 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
If you decide to buy, this thread has some reviews of the different types of 200tdi radiators floating around for sale. http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=71503
Old July 7th, 2014, 05:43 PM
COJ142
Michael Giroux
1985 Defender 110 CSW RHD

I got in touch with Randy (TDI GUY) with Mad River Off Road in New Jersey and ordered an alloy Allisport radiator and upgraded intercooler.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions over last couple months. Hoping this will be the end of my overheating thread (other than posting a few pics when the new items come and are installed)?
Old September 10th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Ray Bone
Ray Bone
defender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COJ142 View Post
I got in touch with Randy (TDI GUY) with Mad River Off Road in New Jersey and ordered an alloy Allisport radiator and upgraded intercooler.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions over last couple months. Hoping this will be the end of my overheating thread (other than posting a few pics when the new items come and are installed)?
How's the outcome? Anymore overheat? I am having the same issue. Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions