overheat ONLY with AC? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 24th, 2005, 02:45 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

overheat ONLY with AC?

hey gang~
my 1997 90 only overheats when the ac is on for a while....

i recored my radiator, have a new water pump....

why would this happen??

please advise~

much appreciated...

-dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2005, 05:25 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Not sure on 1997, but on 1994 there is a temperature switch that turns on an auxiliary electric fan in front of the A/C radiator - make sure this is turning on your aux fan (it's located on the thermostat housing) when the A/C is running and the engine is warmed up.

You can probably jump the connector with a paper clip to see if the fan is working as well (simulating the switch being closed).

If you don't have that fan, I'm not sure what the problem could be - it could then be alot of things....that's the only "easy problem" I can think of.
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Does it happen on the highway as well as in traffic? Does the temp go into the red? How long does it take to get hot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2005, 06:57 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherring
Not sure on 1997, but on 1994 there is a temperature switch that turns on an auxiliary electric fan in front of the A/C radiator - make sure this is turning on your aux fan (it's located on the thermostat housing) when the A/C is running and the engine is warmed up.

You can probably jump the connector with a paper clip to see if the fan is working as well (simulating the switch being closed).

If you don't have that fan, I'm not sure what the problem could be - it could then be alot of things....that's the only "easy problem" I can think of.
That fan only turns on when your radiator/engine are about to reach critical mass (melt down) on a 97. If you still have your viscous coupling and fan pitch it and get electric fans instead. I live in Phoenix, drive a 97 with A/C and it made a huge difference once i switched to the Flex-Lite fans.
Old August 24th, 2005, 09:20 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I have the electric fans on mine and I'm going to install A/C in it & will soon have that third fan. I plan to wire them all to turn on with the same thermostat switch so I should have no problems staying cool with pusher and puller electric fans... that coupled with my 4-core radiator and soon a new water pump I hope I'm good to go.
Old August 24th, 2005, 10:08 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

yikes!
sounds like more money!

why didn't they place a better fan, a/c design??? grrrrrrrr.......

-dan
Old August 25th, 2005, 05:21 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I'm just paranoid of overheating I go out into the desert on very hot days sometimes - thus the A/C needs to be blowing cold and the engine not running hot.

You can always make that auxiliary fan come on at a lower temperature if you want to (have you checked to make sure it's working??) with an override switch, or a thermostat switch (one style you can find at your local auto parts store in the same section they sell electric cooling fans..).
Old August 26th, 2005, 01:53 AM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

a-ha....

good to know....

and no, i haven't checked my fan yet......not quite sure i know how to! =(

-dan
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

The clutch fan is pretty easy to check. Try turning the fan while the engine is cool (not running of course!) , then try again when the engine is hot, it should be harder to turn it when the engine is hot, if it spinns pretty freely then your clutch fan is on the way out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac