Overdrive for 110 with 2.8 TGV - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 16th, 2009, 05:31 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Mine works fine 200tdi 110 with td5 disco transfer box. you have to drop a gear on a long hill but that's not the end of the world as it easily hits 60 mph in 4th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

HI Mike,

Very interesting comment. Is your 200Tdi standard, slightly tweaked or highly tweaked?

I think nothing willl stop Defeyago from giving it a try after your comment!

Cheers,
Santiago

Follow-up Post:

Sorry Mike,
I just checked and I asked the same question and you already answered several months ago......I am getting old, shame on me....

Cheers,
Santiago
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:19 PM
defeyago
Santiago
´96 Defender 110 VGTdi SW County

Registry
Done guys!!! I`ve just installed a Discovery I 200 tdi transfer box on my Defender. It´s all pleasure. Road noise and engine rpms have decreased and now I`m able to talk to mi wife and listen to music while driving down the road.

It cruises at 65 mph at really low rpms.

Regards,
´04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
´97 Alfa Romeo 146 TD (Sold)
´95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
´94 Discovery Tdi (Webasto equipped)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Defeyago,

Hi Ryan,

By the way .....and now that Defeyago has refreshed the thread, are you still working on the "tweaking the International 2.8 engine article"?
Can you tell me a little bit about it?

Cheers,
Santiago (the one from Mendoza)
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:12 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Santiago - I'm really lagging on getting some info posted on tweaking the 2.8. I've gone through several adjustments, but not finished yet. I have taken pics of several things so I just need to make a little time to get it posted. I'll try to get something up in the next few days.

Ryan
Old July 20th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Any update? I'm not even sure what ratio my LT230 is. Need to check that first, but this sounds promising. I'm just catching up to this thread now.
Old July 21st, 2010, 05:33 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
HI Mike,

Very interesting comment. Is your 200Tdi standard, slightly tweaked or highly tweaked?

I think nothing willl stop Defeyago from giving it a try after your comment!

Cheers,
Santiago

Follow-up Post:

Sorry Mike,
I just checked and I asked the same question and you already answered several months ago......I am getting old, shame on me....

Cheers,
Santiago
Still standard, still going well, still getting over 30 mpg, 33 mpg if driven carefully
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
Finally got the 1.2 TC installed. It is so much better than the 1.4! The shift points with the ZF are much better placed. I can now run up to about 50 mph in 2nd and 70 mph in 3rd. With the 1.4, the speeds were about 10 mph lower. So this means I can now go up long, semi-steep grades at 65-70 in 3rd. And it cruises nicely on flats in 4th doing 70 mph and only turning about 2200 rpm. And maybe the best thing is that the LT230Q box is so much quieter than the "T" (1.4's are not available in the "Q" configuration). Next up is some IP tweaking.

Ryan, did you do the gear kit or swap the full TC? I am interested in the exact gear kit (part #) needed convert my TC from ashcroft.

Update: I think I found it. Is this it? http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...d&productId=44
Old August 15th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Overlander,

That´s the one I bought from Ashcroft.
I have been driving about 2 years with the 1.22:1 gearing and I am pleased with it, especially on long journeys.

Nevertheless I have heard of many people who has had problems with their gearboxes (R380's) and clutches after raising gearing or when having >32 inch tires and a powerful 2.8 TGV engine but so far I have done OK. I have even slightly tuned the engine and so far everything is fine.

The best about this is that you still have the same low gearing when using LOW, which with a slightly tuned 2.8 TGV means huge torque.

I have been driving over rocks during the last few days and it is amazing just how much the truck can crawl over and climb when idling along on 1st/granny low.

With the slight tweak on the fuel pump and the 1.22 gearing the truck is also a delight to drive on the road, with low rpms at cruising speed, enough power to overtake trucks and cars, etc.

Just hope the clutch and gearbox last long enough so that I do not regret.

Some people tell me that with such a powerful and torquey engine the clutch and gearbox would suffer less with the original 1.44:1 gearing.

I guess it depends a lot on your driving style.

Cheers,
Santiago
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:52 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Ryan, did you do the gear kit or swap the full TC? I am interested in the exact gear kit (part #) needed convert my TC from ashcroft.

Update: I think I found it. Is this it? http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...d&productId=44
Mark - As Santiago mentioned, that's the right kit for converting the TC high range gear ratio. Although with the conversion rate and shipping and labor to do the swap, it might be more economical to get a used 1.2 TC. That's what I did.

Discos have the 1.2 so used ones aren't hard to find here. Mine came off a truck with only 20K miles on it so it literally looked brand new. The only things you need to watch for when using a Disco 1.2 is you may need to remove the CDL solenoid and a few unused switches. I also had to swap over the speedo housing from my old transfer case. The Disco case I got didn't have a hole for the speedo gear. Otherwise everything else worked out fine.

I've been off the D90 Source scene for a while so I'm not sure if Rob Dassler's still around, but I believe that he can also source 1.2 gears for you here in the States if you'd really like to do the gear swap.

HTH,
Ryan

Hi Santiago - Hope all's well in Argentina.
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:53 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

The beauty of swapping the whole t/case over, is that it's easy to swap back for any reason, heck you could even do it for a weekends off roading if you were going to fit some bigger tyres.

I've got a 1.2 in my 110 Td5, goes really well with it.
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:33 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
The beauty of swapping the whole t/case over, is that it's easy to swap back for any reason, heck you could even do it for a weekends off roading if you were going to fit some bigger tyres.

I've got a 1.2 in my 110 Td5, goes really well with it.
But only if you're bloody keen, it's a fair bit of work swapping a transfer case.
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Thanks Ryan and Santiago. That project might be a year or two out, but I like to plan early. I think that swapping the hole case may be the approach as Ryan recommended. So far I haven't heard any down side at all. The only advantage to doing the gear kit is in the low range, but with my 1.4, the low is almost too low. Even off road, I can't imagine needing that low of a gear, and I've been to Moab several times.

Ryan,
x2 for the tweaking the 2.8 article. And thanks alot for the pic of the W terminal on the alternator. I looked all over that alternator, and never saw that terminal hidden under the mount bracket, until you sent the pic. can only see it from one angle. BTW, do you have any idea how many pulses-per-rev that Bosch alternator is? I have to set my VDO tach dip switches to match, and I can't find the specs.

Santiago, sorry to hijack. We need more 2.8 threads!
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:51 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Thanks Ryan and Santiago. That project might be a year or two out, but I like to plan early. I think that swapping the hole case may be the approach as Ryan recommended. So far I haven't heard any down side at all. The only advantage to doing the gear kit is in the low range, but with my 1.4, the low is almost too low. Even off road, I can't imagine needing that low of a gear, and I've been to Moab several times.

Ryan,
x2 for the tweaking the 2.8 article. And thanks alot for the pic of the W terminal on the alternator. I looked all over that alternator, and never saw that terminal hidden under the mount bracket, until you sent the pic. can only see it from one angle. BTW, do you have any idea how many pulses-per-rev that Bosch alternator is? I have to set my VDO tach dip switches to match, and I can't find the specs.

Santiago, sorry to hijack. We need more 2.8 threads!
Low Ratio is the same what ever the high ratio is.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:05 PM
roger
Roger Rouessart
1999 Tdi

2,8 TGV Defender Ratio

In South Africa we also use the 1,2 Discovery ratio to good effect as we also need to travel at 120kph and this option is most affordable. We do not have easy access to American made options very easily. Can you advise me if you still have a copy of the 2,8 TGV engine workshop manual?
Roger
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:34 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
In South Africa we also use the 1,2 Discovery ratio to good effect as we also need to travel at 120kph and this option is most affordable. We do not have easy access to American made options very easily. Can you advise me if you still have a copy of the 2,8 TGV engine workshop manual?
Roger
I have the manual.
Old March 6th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
Mark - As Santiago mentioned, that's the right kit for converting the TC high range gear ratio. Although with the conversion rate and shipping and labor to do the swap, it might be more economical to get a used 1.2 TC. That's what I did.

Discos have the 1.2 so used ones aren't hard to find here. Mine came off a truck with only 20K miles on it so it literally looked brand new. The only things you need to watch for when using a Disco 1.2 is you may need to remove the CDL solenoid and a few unused switches. I also had to swap over the speedo housing from my old transfer case. The Disco case I got didn't have a hole for the speedo gear. Otherwise everything else worked out fine.

I've been off the D90 Source scene for a while so I'm not sure if Rob Dassler's still around, but I believe that he can also source 1.2 gears for you here in the States if you'd really like to do the gear swap.

HTH,
Ryan

Hi Santiago - Hope all's well in Argentina.
Can someone tell me what would be involved in swapping the gear with Ashcroft's kit? Is it a reasonable weekend DIY job (outside of dropping the LT230), or does it require special tools?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags