Overdrive for 110 with 2.8 TGV - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 28th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

OK Ryan, Please keep me up to date with the tweaking of your 2.8, I am interested in doing the same some day!

Cheers,
>Santiago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2008, 05:51 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
I'm now running a 1:1.211 transfer box on my 200 tdi manual due to the sad demise of the 1.444 whilst in Morocco this summer. I find it more relaxed when cruising along but harder work up hills, I sometimes have to drop ito 4th or even 3rd for really steep long hills., for examplw some of the climbs between Malagar ans Granada in Southern Spain. On the whole though I'm going to keep the box as ong as the fuel consumption doesn't suffer. The box came out of a TD5 auto Discovery 2 so no mechanical speedo drive all the way home about 1600 miles with more french speed traps than you could shake a stick at
Old October 19th, 2008, 07:15 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Finally got the 1.2 TC installed. It is so much better than the 1.4! The shift points with the ZF are much better placed. I can now run up to about 50 mph in 2nd and 70 mph in 3rd. With the 1.4, the speeds were about 10 mph lower. So this means I can now go up long, semi-steep grades at 65-70 in 3rd. And it cruises nicely on flats in 4th doing 70 mph and only turning about 2200 rpm. And maybe the best thing is that the LT230Q box is so much quieter than the "T" (1.4's are not available in the "Q" configuration). Next up is some IP tweaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Hi Ryan,

I just read about your 1.2 TC. I am glad you like it.

Enjoy!

What is IP tweaking? What's IP? Gonna tweak the 2.8? If so keep me informed please!
Cheers,
Santiago
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:17 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Sorry, IP = Injection Pump. And yes, tweaking on the 2.8.

I've started adjusting the diaphragm clocking, and will next make some changes in the spring preload and stop screw. I'll post up a new thread on what I find once I'm a little further along.
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Ryan,

This time I will folow you (IP tweaking)!
I am all ears.
Will you install an EGT gauge?

Santiago
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:20 PM
ocarioca
ilan
D90

Hey santiago. I 'm thinking of making the switch to the disco ratio. On my 300tdi (at fist at least) and see how it goes. then maybe if it's horrible then i'll think of that sweet 2.8 tgv too. Did you order your ratios from ashcroft uk or somewhere else? I'm also in south america and you know how these banana countries are when it comes to imports so I'd apreciate to know how you did yours.
ilan
Old November 19th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Hi Ilan,

I bought the gears from Ashcroft in London. I traveled there last June and I brought them with me.

Are you saying you want to change the gear ratios of a Discovery? If I am not wrong the LR Discovery Tdi already comes with the gear ratios which I installed on my Defender.

Some Disco owners install Defender gears to make it slower for rock crawling.

Cheers,
Santiago
Old November 19th, 2008, 08:29 AM
ocarioca
ilan
D90

It's for a Defender 90. I'm looking for better highway speeds, less noise, better mileage. I took my def from rio de janeiro to san rafael and las lenas this year.... A very long journey at 100 110 km/h hopefully next year i can make it at 120 130. A wonderfull view though! Just hope it won't be too bad for driving in the sand....
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago
Hi Ilan,

I bought the gears from Ashcroft in London. I traveled there last June and I brought them with me.

Are you saying you want to change the gear ratios of a Discovery? If I am not wrong the LR Discovery Tdi already comes with the gear ratios which I installed on my Defender.

Some Disco owners install Defender gears to make it slower for rock crawling.

Cheers,
Santiago
Old November 19th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Seor Carioca,

Now I understand.
Changing the gear ratios is exactly what you want it for so you will not regret. Sounds like 1.2 gear ratios are just what you need. You will enjoy a much better trip to Mendoza next year if you decide to change.
I have been there and I do not look back.

Regarding sand: I was a bit worried about the gears being too long for off road driving but I decided to go ahead since the low box ratios are not changed. This implies there is no change at all when driving slowly doing rock crawling, etc but there will be a change in sand if you drive in HIGH. I personally tend to drive in sand in HIGH, not in LOW and it may be a bit more difficult to do so now.

I have not tested my Defender in the beach after changing gears but I will do it next month so I can then tell you how the new HIGH gear ratios feel on the sand.

Nevertheless if you are driving a Defender 90 I guess you should be OK.

I live in Mendoza city, let me know if you come next year and need help or if you would like to go for a short day trip to the mountains near Mendoza in our Defenders.

Cheers,
Santiago
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Quote:
Ryan,

This time I will folow you (IP tweaking)!
I am all ears.
Will you install an EGT gauge?

Santiago
Santiago - Sorry I just realized I hadn't responded to your question. Yes, I have an EGT gauge installed. I'm close to posting a write-up on what I've done on tweaking the 2.8. Look for a new thread on this hopefully soon.
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS
Santiago - Sorry I just realized I hadn't responded to your question. Yes, I have an EGT gauge installed. I'm close to posting a write-up on what I've done on tweaking the 2.8. Look for a new thread on this hopefully soon.
Hi Ryan,

Thanks.
I am eager to read your new thread about the tweaking of the 2.8, EGT gauge, etc!!!
Comming up Soon!

Cheers,
Santiago
Old November 29th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Ryan,
Do you have the writte up ready?

I am eager to read!
Cheers,
Santiago
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Santiago - I got tied up with a lot of stuff around the holidays, and just getting caught up. I need to snap some pics, and then post a write-up. It's getting closer - I promise.

Ryan
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:00 PM
ocarioca
ilan
D90

Buenas!
I finally made the switch to 1.22 as well. I was impressed I didn't get to pay duties from the gears.
Had them for a few months now. it took me a while to post since I haven't been travelling for a while until last week. So now I'll post my results.
For starters I drive a 300tdi brazilian defender 90 with higher volume injectors, bigger intercooler, and a bit of tweaking in my fuel pump probably with around 140bhp and 235/85/16 tyres. Still not as much grunt as a 2.8tgv( gotta love that tgv )
After tuning the engine it had more grunt but i still had to travel at 110km/h which made travelling not so nice.
Now after switching to 1.22 gears. I'm able to travel at 125 km/h (2500-2700rpm)and got a top speed of 143km/h (90mph)
Impressions. The car is heavier and there's less noise in the cabin it feels a bit more civilized. When i switch to the low gears it's the same as it used to be, very noisy!
I'm very pleased with the new gears.
Santiago. What's your car's top speed?
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Hola Carioca,

Its nice to hear you completed your work and you are pleased!

Regarding your question: I havent really tried to test top speed with accuracy. I guess it pretty much depends on wind conditions since just a little bit of head wind component slows the vehicle down significantly.

Anyways, my vehicle is a 110, has the 2.8 TGV Brazilian engine and 265/75/16 BFG MT tires and top speed is probably around 140kms/h.

Even the 2.8 TGV cannot develop all the rpm's necessary for maximum power when in 5th gear and slightly uphill or with headwind.
Maybe I am missing a bigger intercooler or a little bit of fuel pump tuning but it is usually enough for me as it is. I tend to travel at 120kms/h and 2600rpm +/-.

Cheers,
Santiago
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:48 PM
ocarioca
ilan
D90

I heard with my injectors and tweaking your fuel pump and a bigger exhaust you'd have amazing results. The bad part is the gearbox would be at risk with your new torque figures . I heard they 'd give you aprox 170bhp(at the crank).
For better high rpm figures maybe what you need is a bigger exhaust.
Just in case
www.raschmotoren.com.br
Saludos
ilan

Quote:
Hola Carioca,

Its nice to hear you completed your work and you are pleased!

Regarding your question: I havent really tried to test top speed with accuracy. I guess it pretty much depends on wind conditions since just a little bit of head wind component slows the vehicle down significantly.

Anyways, my vehicle is a 110, has the 2.8 TGV Brazilian engine and 265/75/16 BFG MT tires and top speed is probably around 140kms/h.

Even the 2.8 TGV cannot develop all the rpm's necessary for maximum power when in 5th gear and slightly uphill or with headwind.
Maybe I am missing a bigger intercooler or a little bit of fuel pump tuning but it is usually enough for me as it is. I tend to travel at 120kms/h and 2600rpm +/-.

Cheers,
Santiago
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Thanks for the data. The video looks very good!
Maybe I will do it some day, afetr I realise other priorities ($!).

I will then have to cope with more heat (more power=more heat output) and I am already on the limit now so I will certainly have to change radiator if I decide to tweak my engine.

There is another guy in Argentina who is currently considering installing the Disco gears in his 110 Defender. The problem is his Defender is a 300tdi and he is not sure it will have enough power to move the longer gears.
He has installed a TGV (VNT) turbo and slightly tweaked the fuel pump.

Cheers,
Santiago
Old February 16th, 2009, 08:17 AM
defeyago
Santiago
96 Defender 110 VGTdi SW County

Registry
Hi Guys! Another Santiago here Im from Argentina also and I have a Defender 110 300Tdi with TGV (VNT) from the 2.8 Powerstroke engine and a little twak on IP. I rebuild my engine almost a year ago to stock 2.5L.

Im in touch with the other Santiago and he says it probably wont work with my engine configuration, but still Ill give it a try. ill let you know as soon as I have it done.

Best regards,
04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
97 Alfa Romeo 146 TD (Sold)
95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
94 Discovery Tdi (Webasto equipped)
Old February 16th, 2009, 11:17 AM
ocarioca
ilan
D90

I believe it should work fine. You'll just feel it;s a bit heavier. Maybe in the end you 'll feel like you're back to the stock 300tdi.But other than that it'll be better on the highway for long trips. No use adding hp and still having to travel at 100km/h.
Let us know how it works out
saludos

Quote:
Originally Posted by defeyago
Hi Guys! Another Santiago here Im from Argentina also and I have a Defender 110 300Tdi with TGV (VNT) from the 2.8 Powerstroke engine and a little twak on IP. I rebuild my engine almost a year ago to stock 2.5L.

Im in touch with the other Santiago and he says it probably wont work with my engine configuration, but still Ill give it a try. ill let you know as soon as I have it done.

Best regards,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags