Overdrive: Benefits & Installation - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

Overdrive: Benefits & Installation

Was wondering what people thought about installing an overdrive. Is it worthwhile or a waste of money? I'd like to think that fuel consumption would improve by say 5 - 10% but have no knowledge or experience of the success or otherwise of such an upgrade. Has anyone done this - how easy/hard is it to install - what are the approx. costs - what are the suitable makes?

Apologies in advance if this question has already been asked and answered but there's nothing wrong with starting afresh.

Cheers,

Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
What sort of overdrive?
I had a GKN - more trouble than a barrow load of Monkeys
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:11 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Really... I thought they were good. I know the wise owl is making the roverdrive too
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Mine was 2nd hand.
The electronics took a lot of fiddling about to set up and finally the oil seals let go. It sucked all the oil out the transfer box and spat it on the road. I spent a month touring down to Morocco and back emptying the oil out of the overdrive and putting it back in the transfer box! I grew to hate that overdrive with a passion. Then as a final straw. just north of Madrid on the way home it took to changing in and out of overdrive randomly even with the electric pact disabled, Luckily I had the transfer gear with me to put it back to standard. Took an hour and a half to get back on the road minus an overdrive, and Spain I'd like to say sorry for the oil slick I left but the oil was still bloody hot even after leaving it to cool for 1/2 hour and it made me jump about a bit as it ran down my arm.
The truck was faster and more economical with the overdrive in the back of the truck than on the back of the transfer box. 28% increase in gearing on a 1:144 transfer box with a stock tdi was too high.

So there you have it. I may have got a Friday afternoon overdrive but it just didn't work too well for me, my good lady wife absolutely hated the thing and she wasn't the one doing the oil swap job nightly in the Sahara
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

I guess I'll give it a miss then.
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:51 PM
oldgreentrucks
Jim Pace

I am very pleased with the Roverdrive unit from Rocky Mountain Products (?) out of Canada. Straight forward installation on a stock '94 NAS D90 w/ 4.1 gears. Highway cruise about 70-75 mph @ 2400 rpm. Significantly less noise w/ lower revs with a slight increase in gear noise w/unit engaged. Engaging the unit requires some finess to avoid a grind but overall I am pleased. Cost recovery from fuel savings in unlikely but certainly an improvement in on road driving while permitting lower gears offroad. Combined w/ aux fuel tank and cruise control the D90 is a more comfortable road vehicle enroute to the trails.
Until you hear from someone w/ stock gearing I would not reccomend this unit since the revs may fall too low and require frequent changing in & out of overdrive.
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:45 AM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

Thanks Jim

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
installation