Over Oiled K&N & MAF - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 26th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Antonios
Antonios Hadjigeorgalis
No more

Over Oiled K&N & MAF

Well I've been having some problems with my truck occasionally stalling or running rough with a strong fuel smell.

Today I checked my air filter (K&N) and the entire inside of the canister is covered in a thick oily residue. I'm guessing there was too much oil on the K&N when it was installed. I'm assuming the MAF is fouled the same but I didn't have time to inspect today. I think the answer is no but just in case someone knows different...Is it possible to clean the MAF?

My spark plugs are also heavily coated with carbon, could this be due to a fouled MAF? And could the engine still run good with a fouled MAF?

In between the intermittent stalling/rough idle/black smoke belching, the truck runs great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

The early MAFS were pretty robust...you might try cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner. I'd also change the plugs and switch back to a stock filter and see how it runs. I used to run a K&N but have switched back to stock for the reasons you cited in your post.
Rob
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Been having kinda the same problems, mine seems to be running very too rich. When I floor it I get a puff of black smoke and the engine bogs down a bit indicating it's not getting enough air. Last I checked the air filter was ok, but that was a year ago during the engine swap. I'll be pulling mine out and cleaning it this weekend. Are you seeing any check engine codes? And does yours seem to run any better when the engine gets up to temp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Antonios
Antonios Hadjigeorgalis
No more

I plan to change the plugs but I'd like to solve the current problems first since I think the carbon build up is a symptom of the problem, not the cause. I'd like to solve the problem first so I don't foul up a new set of plugs.

My truck runs fine **most** of the time whether warm or cold. I don't drive it that much which doesn't help the diagnosis any. But what happens with mine is that it will start idling rough or loses power at speed, then I smell fuel, then I have to stop the vehicle and rev the engine while puffs of black smoke come out of the exhaust until the smoke stops. Usually only a minute or two, and then it's running like new again until the next time it happens. It also sometimes stalls when I take it out of gear.
Old October 27th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Take note on your plugs when you pull em. I don't think the a maf issue. I would check your ignition cap roter ect.
Do you throw any codes?? Do you know how to check codes?
Old October 27th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Antonios
Antonios Hadjigeorgalis
No more

My ignition cap, rotor and wires are only 1-2 years old. The codes are displayed on unit next to the ECU, corrrect? I never see any codes displayed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions