Over heating issues... Fan recommendation please - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 5th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Over heating issues... Fan recommendation please

So after I swapped my front cover to from a v-belt set up to a serpentine belt in order to get the crank driven oil pump (which works great) and combined with Colorado's very high temperatures this summer, I am overheating only when I am going up steep hills when it is over 90F which is every friggn day this summer. My truck is a 4.6 and the radiator I had recored a couple years ago to a 4-core radiator and I run electric fans (Flex a lite 210). I just brought in the radiator to have it checked out and it flows great. I just can't keep up with the heat. I cool off very rapidly when I pull over, and I only get to 210F when I due pull over as when I see it go up, it appears that it won't stop and I don't risk it.

Part of me want to upgrade the fan to something even higher (it is a puller that does 2500 CFM, so pretty darn powerful) but I am thinking that might not do it since I am usually at freeway speeds. The engine pulls awesome--it can go in the 60's to 70's up when going over the hills in Colorado. But something changed when I got the serpentine front cover. The serp cover no longer had a water inlet at the back of the water pump--now I come out of the lower radiator hose and have 2 branches on that lower hose--one from the heat core return and one from the coolant resevoir. So I am thinking that I am not getting as much volume through my radiator as I once did. That is a theory.

I just redid everything, including the thermostat (twice cause it is easy). I have taken IR temps and the radiator is doing it's job. I use water wetter to help with the thermo capacity of the actual coolant.

I am thinking of changing out my front grill and getting a wire mesh one. (baby steps of cooling, every bit helps) and possibly upgrading the fan to something over 2500cfm (but I am doubtful that the fans are doing that great at hwy speeds?).

I would love thoughts and input.

I know trucks well. I built this one from the ground up and the engine from a block up, so I think I have covered most the idiot mistakes. I have adjusted the timing as a trial, I have changed the plugs as a trial just trying to rule everything out. It is running great--great power, plugs look awesome, everything is a go except when it is 95F and I go over rather step hills.

I am all ears :-) Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2012, 09:36 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Minor head gasket leak ... Compare your plugs to each other

Actually read a bit more ... I guess you don't lose any water at all?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Other than your possible mechanical issues my fan recommendation is a zirgo zfu16S. It literally fits perfect, the plastic mounts rest on the steel rad surround like it was made for it. I paired it with a spal pm2 electronic fan controller. You can turn it on or off manually, with a.c. and via a temp sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Not losing any coolant. Did a block test and it is fine as far as I can diagnose. And only runs hot on very hot days--just looking for a way to get eeek out just a bit more cooling for these hot ones...

Does anyone know if a wire grill makes any difference compared to the plastic ones when it comes to air flow? Or is there any such thing as a higher flowing water pump?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fan