outside mirror bolt size ?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 6th, 2004, 02:34 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

outside mirror bolt size ??

Well after a small trail ride a few weeks ago, I snapped the bolts that hold the outside side (rear view) mirror to the door hinge.

So, after perusing around and just plain ole' looking at it, it seems that I have to take part of the door hinge out. And upon further inspection, the door hinge bolts are rusted so those need to be replaced.

To make a semi-long story short... I got in contact with the guy at www dot motosource dot com (the guy who supplies AB with their stainless steel kit for D90's) and asked him if he would just sell me the stainless door hinge bolts, which he did. Nice guy by the way and he's going to have KILLER aluminum billet door hinges soon (the website says Feb2004 but I spoke to him and apparently there was a small problem but they will be rolled out shortly)...

Anyway, got the bolts coming tomorrow, purchased an impact tool to get those rusty steel one's out... but my question is to you all...

What size are the bolts/screws that HOLD the MIRROR to the HINGE ???? (not the actual hinge bolts... I know those are 5/16 -24 thread)

Please help if you've done this and check out their site, they have a few nice products.

Sincerely,

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Nick, the bolts that hold the mirror to the hinge also hold the hinge to the door, unless I'm missing something?
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I'll take some measurements for you tonight after work. I have a Hinge kit laying around. My Guess is that Tony sent you the right bolts from the start (since you designed the kit and should theorectically know the correct placement, length and thread count for each bolt he re-created in SS)

EwS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2004, 03:14 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

uh...

Mike,

The bolts that hold the mirror on are not the same as the door hinge bolts. However, to get at the mirror bolts you have to take the door hinge bolts off, 2 to be exact. Yeah... what a pain in the ASS! LOL...

Rob,

Yes, when I first spoke to Tony he said that he had the measurements somewhere, and possibly would be able to 'throw' then in the package, but in fact he didn't find any and also could not find the measurements. I'm not sure if those 2 bolts that hold the mirror on were created in stainless from his kit... Hmm...
I agree with you, common sense would lead you to believe this.

If you can, that would be great... I'd really like to have the size before I go out driving around tomorrow night/possibly Saturday morning to find 4 bolts to replace both sides (mirror bolts).

I REALLY APPRECIATE this.

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:16 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

ooops....

Mr. Siepmann,

I meant to write Eric, and instead I wrote Rob.

My apologies. I've got too many things open on my desktop,
at work nonetheless... slight mistake.

Nicholas

Old May 6th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

You got me confused there for a second!

No worries. I'll dig them up tonight.

EwS
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:22 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Hmm...

Eric,

The hinge kit, according to RoversNorth and their online picture, say that the 2 bolts that hold the mirror on are part of the 'mirror kit' not the 'hinge kit'. I've attached a picture.
Now, if you have a factory hinge kit this may be different, who knows... I'm just going off what I just heard from them.

But if you have them, great!

Thanks again,

Nicholas Orros
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hingekitd90.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	617  

Old May 6th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Nicholas,

I'll check tonight. The kit came in so many little bags I'll have to check. If not I can unscrew a bolt rather quickly. No problem there.

I'll keep you posted.

Let's hope the Factory OEM stuff doesn't have any weird captive nuts or something else that would make this deceptively simple task a nightmare!

EwS
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Nicholas, the bolts run thru the rear of the hinge! So needless to say I didn't want to mess with them. The look to be 10 mil about 3/4 long.

EwS
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:14 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Eric,

I appreciate it nonetheless... Yes, they do screw in from the back... insane eh?... lol

I'm going to have to pull the good side apart and then go from there, or just take the mirror into the 'bolt store' once I know the length. I think they're a bit longer than 3/4 inch (if that's what you meant) because they screw into the mirrors fairly deep.
In any case... project number whatever...right ?

Thanks and have a good weekend.

Nicholas

Old May 7th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

You too!
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:09 PM
marcva
Marc van Aperen
1984 90 300 TDi

Hi there,

Saw your question about the mirror bolts.

The big parts manual says they are 1/4" x 7/8"
But they are M6 x 25 mm.

Regards,

Marc

'84 - 90 2.5 D n/a
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:33 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

piece of cake...

Eric,

Piece of cake!
I purchased an impact tool with a #4 phillips, sprayed some gunk on there yesterday and they came off like butter. I was pretty worried about it the past few days, and for some reason driving around without that right mirror really bugged the S8it out of me.

You were pretty much right on the money with the bolt size, they're almost an inch long. For some reason after looking at the mirror unit that 'broke' off the threads seem to really go in there, and I thought they were longer.

So, I've cleaned the hinges up a bit, then I'm going to paint the spots that are bad with some touch-up, then get the stainless one's in there. I wish Tony at Motosource dot com had his billet aluminum one's ready because I know now I'm going to have to do this twice... They came off easy, but I know putting them back on and mounting the door is going to be a small feat.

oh...

Marc,

Thank you for the correct bolt size! That makes it a lot easier on me tomorrow morning when I try and match up that mirror bolt size. I called a local 'Ace Hardware' (there's not much in Tallahassee besides Home Depot & Lowe's.. still have to call them) and they had the metric size you spoke of, so that saves a LOT of time... much appreciated.
If you're translation of the 'big parts manual' is the Factory Parts Manual then I feel like an IDIOT for not checking it. Question: If the parts manual says they're 1/4" x 7/8" then how come they're M6 x 25 mm ?? That's weird & Just wondering.

Cheers,

Nicholas Orros

Old May 8th, 2004, 05:25 PM
marcva
Marc van Aperen
1984 90 300 TDi

Dear Nicholas,

Yes indeed the "big parts manual" is the factory parts manual section N on page N178.
I don't know why but I replaced mine last year and the M6 is the correct size, maybe the 1/4' is for the old design as thats drawn on the same page.

Rgds,

Marc
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:58 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

ahh... i see, i see...

Marc,

Thanks again for the info on the bolts... I didn't get regular bolts though, I purchased phillips bolts that were angled at the top (forgive me for not knowing the proper name) so they 'sat' in the holes in the rear of the hinge, farther away from the door. They were stainless but I don't know what 'grade'. The guy at the hardware store had no idea.

I mounted the mirrors to the hinges, hinges to the door and then lifted the door, pushed it into place and had my girlfriend put the last bolts in the body... it was a LOT easier than I had originally suspected. Used some touch-up paint while they were in there and viola'... looks great.

now on to the next job...

Nicholas

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions