Options for re-wiring a 200tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 28th, 2010, 04:54 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Options for re-wiring a 200tdi

Hello,
My 84 suffered an electrical fire within one mile of my home on its maiden voyage. It looks as though the engine loom (harness) is toast. I'm not very confident about what I'd find remaining of the wires going into the dash either.

If I decide to replace the entire vehicle's harness is a place like Auto Sparks my best bet?

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/index.php?cPath=114

It would seem with all the interchangeability between the NA and turbo diesel motors that there should be a bunch of looms on the used market but would I be better off just buying new and starting from scratch? Or the third option would be a custom loom I guess... Any thoughts?

I have no radio or AC so I'm hoping it's a fairly simple endeavor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2010, 05:01 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

I've bought from autosparks, and am quite pleased.
Old April 28th, 2010, 06:14 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

They seem to have a good reputation alright. Do you know how many looms are involved total? There is the engine, and what I've seen described as the "main" or "body" loom... am I missing anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2010, 06:45 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Alastair,

George @ RDS has the proper wire harness for the motor.
Old April 28th, 2010, 07:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Find out what melted and why before you buy anything.
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:03 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Dave, I saw the engine loom on the RDS site, thanks.

As for the cause of the flare up: My limited arson training leads me to believe that an exposed wire grounded out on a fuel line at the top of the engine bay. The melting seems to originate there. I'll try to upload a picture from my phone...

I think (hope) that replacing all the wiring, and reenforcing the rotted battery bay, will prevent future smokey incidents.
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The engine "loom" is only a few wires. It is easy enough to repair. While you are at it, you can put in a properly sized alternator wire.
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:34 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The engine "loom" is only a few wires. It is easy enough to repair. While you are at it, you can put in a properly sized alternator wire.
Is the alt' wire flimsy? Are there other worthwhile upgrades while I'm under there? My truck arrived with a positive ground, which makes me a bit nervous.
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I think there are two versions. Mine used two 12 gauge wires for the alternator power and another 2 for supplying power back to the main loom. Not exactly overkill.

The "loom" has, IIRC.

- Two main power wires from main loom to starter terminal
- Two power wires from alternator to starter terminal.
- Alternator warning light.
- Coolant temperature.
- Injection pump solenoid.
- Oil pressure switch.
- Starter solenoid power.
Old April 29th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

My advice is based on a 300 TDi but may be relevent. Replace it all yourself. Don't buy anything. It's all fubar on there and if you are good at wiring, you will do a better and more simple job than they did.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:09 AM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

I think ground-up re-wiring is going to be the ticket... This is the starting point:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200tdi bay.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	27199   Click image for larger version

Name:	200tdi1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	27200  

Name:	200tdi2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	27201   Click image for larger version

Name:	200tdi3.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	27202  

Name:	200tdi4.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	27203  
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:24 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Does not look that bad to me. Start checking things with a multimeter to see if there is still continuity.
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:52 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Could have been some type of glow plug harness meltdown.. My truck had that happen prior to me rebuilding it..
Old April 30th, 2010, 08:49 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Ron, that's reassuring to hear. I have a lot of faith in the guy that will be helping me.

Manny, I don't believe the glowplugs made the trip from the Discovery... Are they a worthy retrofit?
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:05 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

You should only have a few wires in that area. One would be your glow plug wire but it looks like it is lower than the damaged area. Check to make sure that you glow plug timer, relay is hooked up. The other wiring loom should contain the wires for the alternator, water temp sender, oil sender and fuel injector. The solid brown wires should be going to the Alternator. Yellow/black wire for the glow Plug, White/green to the fuel injector, and White/brown to the oil filter housing. Depending upon how they did the engine conversion is whether they converted another harness and adapted it to the 200 Tdi. I would make sure that they used a main fuse for the wires. On one of mine they bypassed the standard fuse relay on the firewall since the original motor didn't have it.
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:07 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

It looks like four total wires were burnt through by this incident. The worst of these runs all the way down to the starter and is a mass of exposed, blackened copper. I'm still not sure what (if any) damage exists behind the dash. The truck is still sitting outside my work. I had hoped to get it into the shop this weekend but it doesn't look like that will happen.
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:38 AM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

update

I managed to get my truck onto a trailer and transported the 86 miles to where its resurrection will begin. The damage caused by the fire turned out to be extensive; going all the way back into the dash. In one regard the fact that the fire happened so close to home, and after only 1.5 miles of ownership, is a blessing. It could have been much worse.
Pulling the dash revealed a labyrinth of exposed and obsolete wires going in every direction. The battery itself was precariously loose on what was left of its tray. There were wires to nowhere running inside the length of the roof and the wires to the tail lamps were twisted together. The fact that it arrived with no coolant and without a reverse gear seem like small potatoes when I think about how the inevitable fire COULD have gone. So while Iíll be without the use of the truck while this project continues it beats the alternative of driving a time bomb.
Iíve also used the down-time to take off the roof and have a hoopset standing by for when the big jobs are finished.
I've taken some cell phone pictures of one or two of the things described above. You'll also see the front bumper. This was "secured" to the front of the truck by two pins. I was wondering why it rocked back and forth. I was able to pick it straight up and off the frame with my hands!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	27919   Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	27920  

Name:	dash.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	27921   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	27922  

Name:	new wiring.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	27923   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear lamps.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	27924  

Name:	roofless.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	27925  
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair View Post
Is the alt' wire flimsy? Are there other worthwhile upgrades while I'm under there? My truck arrived with a positive ground, which makes me a bit nervous.
It would make me nervous too, if an 84 came over with a positive ground. I'd go through the electrical system front to back with a fine tooth comb. No telling what else is a SPOT.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij

You sure someone just did not hook up the battery terminals backwards ie that it was not intended to be positive ground?
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:37 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Alastair,

I sold my old harness from my 1984 90" with my 2.5 motor, I do not think the new owner is going to use it.

The harness was in good condition with no issues, I only swapped it becuase I went with a higher output alternator and did not want to modify the stock harness with larger wires.

If you think that is something you would be intrested in let me know and I will send you his email address.

After my build gets started I may also have a chassis harness, everything works just figured since I was fitting a new chassis that a new harness would be the way to go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi, wiring