Opinoins On Lifting A D-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

View Poll Results: How To Lift a D-90
Those Disks Things 2 4.76%
New Springs 34 80.95%
Disks and Springs 3 7.14%
Leave it stock 3 7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 9th, 2004, 04:54 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Question Opinoins On Lifting A D-90

I am curious, what are your thoughts on lifting a D-90 with those aluminum disks as opposed to new springs. The disks are tempting, a 2" lift for about $100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2004, 10:58 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Anyone? Somebody has lifted their truck out there.
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:17 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Pesonally, for a 2" lift I would spend the exta money and just do a good OME package and be done. Your ride will be much better if your stock set up is anywhere near as sad as ours was.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Bigger/better springs = more flex. Same old springs with 2" blocks = 2" more drop, 2" less up-travel without smaller bump stops. And I think you would need longer shocks to be able to get the drop.
Old March 10th, 2004, 12:19 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Michael, I think you got it the other way around. 2" blocks = 2" less drop, 2" more up travel.
I don't think the stock shocks can take the 2" spacers. As Chris said, get yourself the OME suspension and you'll very happy with looks and performance.
Old March 10th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I thought that by adding 2" blocks you would push the axle 2"s down or away from the 90 thus 2" more drop. ??????????????

And with the 2" blocks you cannot compress as much so you end up with 2" less of up travel. ?????????????????????????

I don't mean to speak against you as I don't want you to Flip out and kill me.

Old March 10th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Bigger/better springs = more flex. Same old springs with 2" blocks = 2" more drop, 2" less up-travel without smaller bump stops. And I think you would need longer shocks to be able to get the drop.
Sorry, no, springs are not going to provide more flex, the only way they can is if the springs themselves are the limiting factor which they almost never are. The blocks will also not provide more down-travel or less up-travel. If you added longer shocks it would in theory allow more downtravel, but could limit uptravel. I would say if you want an inch, just stick in the blocks. I saw them on Ebay for $8. There is no reason not to if you just want a higher ride hight. 2in is a little much, but up to you. You just will not improve performance in any way. If you want to use the truck and intent on improving performance, go springs and shocks at least.

edit: beat me to it, your both wrong The springs are not the limiting factor in uptravel or downtravel. Your just changing the starting point in the cycle. Yousef is more right though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 10th, 2004, 12:42 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckon37s
The springs are not the limiting factor in uptravel or downtravel. Your just changing the starting point in the cycle. Yousef is more right though.
Sort of. Depending on the spring and if you retain it, it can prevent full downtravel.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 10th, 2004, 12:43 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I never said springs were the limiting factor in this situation , i was referring to the shocks. However, springs are a limiting factor when long travel shocks are added.
Old March 10th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Sort of. Depending on the spring and if you retain it, it can prevent full downtravel.
Shocks are the limiting factor in both cases on a stock D-90, which is what Dave is asking. Like I said earlier, the springs CAN be the limiting factor in a suspension system, but there are usually other factors that limit it well before the springs will.

Yousef, I thought "stock stocks" was some kind of new investment opportunity.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 10th, 2004, 01:47 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Dave, why are looking to lift your 90? What are your plans?
Old March 10th, 2004, 04:07 PM
javelinadave
-
-

2 basic reasons Yousef:

1) I may go with some bigger tires. Like everything else I do, I research things to near death.

2) I bought a 4" rod of T-6 aluminum for a good price and I can turn out these kits pretty damn cheap. I was testing the water to see if anybody would have any interest in them.

I still may try it and if I don't like them, I will take them off. My main concern is if I am out, far away from civilization and I have a failure of some sort. I don't know.........That's why I wanted to find someone who has wheeled with the disks.
Old March 10th, 2004, 08:26 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Ok i see!
remember that you cannot fit a spacer bigger then .5" up front unless you make a built in shock mount, like RTE and some that've seen on ebay. You might get away with .75-1" but your front shocks are going to hate you.

I ran the spacers for over a year with no problem and I have nothing against them. The only reason i ran the spacers b/c I was running 3" springs and I needed one more inch and the spacers were my only option.

My advice to you and I'm sure everyone agrees with me is get some OME springs and shocks and I'm positive you will like them.
Do it once and do it right.

Good luck
Old March 10th, 2004, 08:50 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Thanks Yousef. That is what I will do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90