Opinions on Fuel Tank Vendors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 25th, 2009, 01:51 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Opinions on Fuel Tank Vendors

I've been looking at the various long-range and aux fuel tank vendors as I plan on fitting additional tanks during my rebuild (1992 110 200TDI) (I'm pulling the engine->tc tomorow and will have the frame totally bare to POR-15) and would like to hear ideas on the various options out there.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Brown Davis option for the replacement main tank at 130l and the AUX tank at 80l for a total of 210l or 55.4 US Gallons which should give me a highway range of about 2763km or 1717 miles (obviously this is ideal conditions, probably 50-60% of this in rough conditions) which should mean I can use the left-wheel arch for a water tank and keep the sill areas open for now.

While the additional range is 'nice' in general, the primary reason for this (I could say expedition, which is will get used for but really it's something more practical) is because I'm starting home bio-diesel production in the spring and I drive from 8-19h a week just traveling from home to various climbing areas for rock, ice, and mountaineering and would like to be able to avoid having to purchase any fuel on the road under normal circumstances.

Does anyone have experience with the Brown Davis tanks or any of the other high-capacity tanks, long term longevity, rust, fit, etc? I've looked at others but they seem to be the toughest out there and they claim they do not need additional armour etc and with the aux tank outside the frame rails strength would be nice to have. I am also hoping to fit dual-senders/pumps for redundancy.

Also, if anyone needs a stock 200TDI 110 fuel tank (and guard) I have one that can go when I place the order for the replacements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2009, 10:09 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I have a Safari-equip extended range fuel tank in my 110 and it is rock solid, extra heavy duty. i highly recommend looking at their stuff before buying. http://www.safari-equip.co.uk .
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:46 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Wow that's a lot of fuel. At some point isn't the weight penalty a bit high?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2009, 08:15 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
I have a Safari-equip extended range fuel tank in my 110 and it is rock solid, extra heavy duty. i highly recommend looking at their stuff before buying. http://www.safari-equip.co.uk .
Which tank do you have exactly? Are you still running the v8 or have you converted to diesel?

Old January 26th, 2009, 09:06 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Wow that's a lot of fuel. At some point isn't the weight penalty a bit high?
Depends on the kind of driving, if you're doing long-distance highway like I would be it isn't bad because you're usually maintaining speed for hours at a time. Stop and go it would hurt a bit but keep in mind how low down it is and how it helps weight distribution (well, potentially) so it could actually help keep things stable. What sucks is using Jerry cans, and even more if they're up high.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:57 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I have the 110L replacement tank in mild steel. It is built like a brick sh*thouse and I do not need a fuel tank guard with it. It is plenty rugged just like it is. My truck is a V8.
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:58 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Any chance we could see some pix - did you have to add any vents or link it into the evap recovery system somehow? I'd be curious to see your set-up, especially if it can be used with both the diesel and the v8.

Old January 27th, 2009, 09:12 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I can take some pics later, the truck is at home and I am at work.

Basically it is a direct replacement for the stock tank. It has all of the proper attachment points for a straight swap and since my 110 had the seperate level sender and pump oriffices it had those just like it should. The tank hangs down a little bit lower in the area next to the anti roll bar mounting point and since I wanted to keep the rear sway bar I used some square tube that I drilled and bolted the sway bar to in order to have it clear the tank. The new set up actually allows my rear springs to dislocate with the sway bar installed so I get the best of both worlds.

I will get some pics of the side and rear views of the tank but the top is out of the question because the tank is installed.
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:04 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Sorry for the quality of the phone pics, it is cloudy here and there was not much light.

PS: That is red clay not rust!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	17530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	17531  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	17532  
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:26 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Thanks for the pix - Did you have to take off the rear step bumper to make it fit? I really like this set-up, and it seems like a great way to avoid having to run a second tank. Did you install it or was it a PO? Did you order it directly from Safari Equip?

Old January 28th, 2009, 09:38 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I bought the truck as a salvage. It was rear ended in an accident. You can see in the pics where the new extended rear crossmember is welded to the chassis. Since the NAS step bumper is stupid expensive, I opted for the bumperettes and am going to put a drop hitch on instead. Actually I like it better than the NAS step bumper.

I replaced the old tank because it was squashed in the wreck. The two side mounts to the chassis on the old step bumper sheared the bolts off that held the tank in place and I did not want to repeat this design flaw.

I bought this kit through a friend in the UK that assembled a container of parts for me, I have safari-equip's front bumper, tree sliders, rear tire carrier , bumperettes and fuel tank.

RN does sell some of their stuff in the US but the inventory is limited.

Adrian is the fellow that owns WVA Holdings/ Safari Equip . I have spoken to him on the phone and he is an amicable fellow. Not always the easiest guy to get on the phone because he is busy. He has made quite a nice business in York making his totally over-engineered kit.

Maybe we can do a group buy from them on a 20' container, I am drooling over the ZU Rims that they sell, I would also like to get a few more items from them as well as some other suppliers. I have a designa chassis and some ashcrofts stuff on my list for my 109 project.
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:26 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It doesn't cost that much to have wheels shipped from the UK, the boxes are only 16 inches square by 8 inches high or whatever. I ordered a set of (admittedly 14") wheels for my Alfa and shipping wasn't too bad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, fuel tank