opinions needed and a pic? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 26th, 2003, 10:47 PM
januconn92
Jan Jurgielewicz
97 D90 #1477 Green ST

opinions needed and a pic?

All,
I just bought a D90 2 weeks ago, 94' Con. Green softtop. It needs tires and brakes. You all already helped me decide to go with 285/75/16's but the question I ask myself it what rims to use? I like both, but the black seem "meaner" and the alloys are pretty classy. I will use stock suspension. (next summer upgrades will come)
Does anyone have pics of 285's on stock wheels?? Will the stock rim with that tire stick out more to the flares(I want this look) and be more noticable than stock tires?

Any opinions on rims?

Thanks,

Jan in Ct.

PS, anyone know any shops in Ct. that can upgrade Land Rover suspension to OME or other setups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2003, 01:10 AM
tbmcneill

the larger tires will be slightly more noticeable, but only marginally & there will only be a slight difference in how much the tires stick out. if you're wanting the tires to stick out more, you'll need to go with a rim with less backspacing. steel rims tend to hold up better offroad than the alloys (you can always bend a steely back into shape). but, the alloys will probably suit you fine for now. IMHO, stick with the stock wheels and save yourself some $$$. if you start using your rig off-road, you'll develop your own opinions of what will work for you and what doesn't.

as for lift installation .... you should really try doing it yourself. its straight forward & easy with regular garage tools. not to mention you can take the $$$ you save & buy some other goodies.... . the only thing some people like to use that you probably don't have lying around is a spring compressor, but you won't need one for OME. shoot me an email if you want help & i'm certain there's probably some info on here or D-web on how to do it.
T
Old November 27th, 2003, 06:18 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

We ran the 285s on the stock rims for a little while after we got out D90. Here are some pictures of it right after we got it:
http://www.gotmud.org/rovers/d90/index.htm

I agree with Troy about the lift. Its real easy to do it yourself on a D90. Lots of room to work around stuff compaire to working on a Disco.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2003, 01:01 PM
januconn92
Jan Jurgielewicz
97 D90 #1477 Green ST

thanks guys

the spring compressing part has me a little nervous, but I'll read up some more and maybe try the suspension in the spring..

thanks again

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions