OPINIONS - Black or Clear Alum. Air Vents???? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 24th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

OPINIONS - Black or Clear Alum. Air Vents????

Hey everyone,

I am committed to getting Dave's air vents. I have already sent him a check the end of last week. This will be the nicest cosmetic upgrade to my D-90 in a while, and I am way excited to get them on!

I have a BLACK truck. I was always thinking I would go black, because that is what the plastic ones were...........Now I am not 100% sure. I am not worried about the 'scratching issue' discussed on the other thread. I am thinking of more a cosmetic one. BUT - Obviously the wheels are aluminum. My brush cables are silver.

It is hard to tell based on the posted pictures so far. Dave has shown pictures of Clear, on his Aluminum wings. Everyone else who has posted pictures, has had the contrast of a colored D-90 versus a Black Vent? Anyone order these with a Black Truck?????????

OPINIONS:
Do these air vents look SO DAMN good - that I want the contrast and want to call attention to them, and have people notice them by going clear aluminum...........OR do I want to have them blend in by going black?????? I can not decide.

Thanks for your feedback!!!!

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Without a picture, I'd vote for silver.

jC (sporting a black aluminum vent)
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I'd go silver on a black truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey Bert,

I got your pm's, sorry I was out of town this weekend. I have to admit that I am a fan of the silver. They came out looking very cool. I say be different and grab the silver. I think they are cool enough to pull it off. Worst case you hate them and I will exchange them for you.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:37 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Clear or Black?

What is everyones thoughts for a Willow Green D-90? I have the silver wing top protectors.
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:49 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

BERT-go with silver on the black truck i bet they would look extra sweet on the black!! .. i would luv to see some pics of em too when ur done...the silver will be more noticeable with the black contrast as well and trust me you want these to be as noticeable as possible because they look really really good compared to the stock ones...DEFINITELY silver on the black

ADE-if you have silver wingtops go with silver because the color will match and look way better...i went with black because i have black powdercoat wingtops and i am very happy with how mine ended up so i would match em up...
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:13 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I think clear on black would look great, especially with clear limb risers. Also clear on alumuminium tops makes sense since to me too. All else I say go with black

charles
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

THANK!

6 straight opinions for Clear Alum. That is what I will go with. I am leaning that way myself, and I trust the opinion of my buddies on the D-90 page!

Thanks - I will PM Dave to make sure he reads this........I will also post pictures when I get them on.

Thanks,

Flagg
Old July 1st, 2007, 11:12 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Everyone,

WOW WOW WOW! I recieved the clear Alum. Vents on Friday (my birthday). What a gift. These things are awesome!!!!!! I never thought they would look so good.

Silver is clear the way to go on at least my black truck! Matter of fact - I would recommend Silver on any color (or at least any dark color). These things look so good - that I would not want to hide the fact that they are there by ordering black (like the plastic ones). Thank you everyone for the recommendation to try silver........

I am going to save my plastic ones - because these are so cool that I am hoping they are never stolen in a parking lot or something.........I will save my plastic ones for that reason - AND if I ever switched my D90 for another one (not going to happen), these would not go with the truck - but rather be put on my new one.

I have had a crazy busy weekend - that continues to be hectic. I am dying to get them on the truck. I will post some pictures when I do.......

THANK you Dave - for working to make this great upgrade.........

Flagg

Follow-up Post:

Dave,

You PM box is full.........You can send back a private message..........

Two things..........
1) So do I owe you $5? Or your saying they are less for the clear? We can just call it a wash - unless I owe you the money and I will send it right out.
2) Did you ever get my check? I want to make sure you got your money..........

Thanks,

Flagg
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:23 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
Everyone,

WOW WOW WOW! I recieved the clear Alum. Vents on Friday (my birthday). What a gift. These things are awesome!!!!!! I never thought they would look so good.

Silver is clear the way to go on at least my black truck! Matter of fact - I would recommend Silver on any color (or at least any dark color). These things look so good - that I would not want to hide the fact that they are there by ordering black (like the plastic ones). Thank you everyone for the recommendation to try silver........

I am going to save my plastic ones - because these are so cool that I am hoping they are never stolen in a parking lot or something.........I will save my plastic ones for that reason - AND if I ever switched my D90 for another one (not going to happen), these would not go with the truck - but rather be put on my new one.

I have had a crazy busy weekend - that continues to be hectic. I am dying to get them on the truck. I will post some pictures when I do.......

THANK you Dave - for working to make this great upgrade.........

Flagg

Follow-up Post:

Dave,

You PM box is full.........You can send back a private message..........

Two things..........
1) So do I owe you $5? Or your saying they are less for the clear? We can just call it a wash - unless I owe you the money and I will send it right out.
2) Did you ever get my check? I want to make sure you got your money..........

Thanks,

Flagg

I am thrilled your happy. I like the clear also. The clears are $5 cheaper. I got your check the other day. We are all good! Thanks, Dave

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I am finally going to try to get to this today..........May also try to swap my old rusty bush cables, and wash the car. Seems like a good 4th of July thing to do.

I will post up pictures of the silver on black, if/when I do it!

Flagg
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Pictures!!!!!

Here are some things I did to the Defender yesterday! Seemed like a good thing to spend 4th of July working on a BRITISH truck!

First, after 8 years I replaced the rusted steel cables. I used stainless parts, and galv. cables. I made my own coated cables at the bars, to prevent scratching with some flexible clear tubing. It looks really sharp. We will see how long this looks good with the weather........but it was time to do it.

Second - with everyones advice - I decided to go with the clear (silver) look. I thought it would look good with my cables and wheels. I did not want to upgrade my plastic vents to black, and then not really be able to see that I had done it. These are really nice...........I am glad I went clear alum.Helps distract one from my hoods poor paint condition!!!

Flagg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	531.4 KB
ID:	9760   Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown-1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	646.4 KB
ID:	9761  

Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown-2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	479.8 KB
ID:	9762  
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:10 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
That's a NICE looking truck! Always liked the Black D-90s. The combination of the vents, cables and tires make it look really sharp!
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Defender50th
James
'94 NAS AA Yellow

They look really good!

A set of stainless steel hinge bolts on the truck would look good too

James
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:08 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

i luv that truck! it looks really good with the silver...i dont see how you couldnt go with those for the contrast in color it makes...now all you need is some 33" BFG mud terrains with the stock alloys and your car will look unbelievably nice...
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

The truck does look good - from a distance. I get a lot of looks and compliments. However it would be nicer with:

1) Galv. Chassis (12 years outside are taking its toll.........)
2) Stanless Steel Screw Set on the exterior
3) These cool alum sliding window sets (I have a friend that just got these for his '67 - sweet. I need to find the link and post it.
4) New Pait job on the hood and wing panels (I left it parked under the wrong tree for a 6 month trip 8 years ago - should have covered it!). Or Alum wing protectors and bonnet plate - that would cover most of of the hood - and probably be a hell of a lot cheeper.........And look kick ass at the same time.
5) New front vent seals - replace one handle. Might as well replace both if I am in there (since I understand that the handle replacement is quite a job).
6) Take dash apart - fix lower heat control (right now I prop the vent open in the winter), and fix speedo light.
7) New passenger seat bottom (two slits I cover with perfect matching duct tape that I replace every few months.
8) And the list goes on.
9) I need to replace my window tops with stainless studs that I got from this board! I have had then for a while - wanted to do it on the 4th - ran out of time.

I am sure everyone has a list like this. Mechanically she is pretty sound............Galv. Gas tank skid plate, Stanless full muffler, New Shocks, new front breaks. My first goal is to keep her on the road. I will catch up to the cosmetic stuff eventually. Do the chassis swap someday......if I am keeping it long term - which I seem to be

All in all - She stands tall and proud. And I love my D-90!

Flagg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac