Opinion wanted. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 9th, 2008, 11:03 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Opinion wanted.

My front door bottoms are pretty oxidised and ratty looking. I wont be buying new doors anytime soon and have been thinking of painting the bottom 3-4" of the doors and A post B post abd C post. Basicly a 3-4" strip along the bottom of the truck.

Here is what I have been thinking. Sand and paint with a Line-X type paint, say black and leave it at that, or sand, Line-X in a lighter color and try and match the body color.

Or leave it alone.

It looks pretty bad as is and would like to do something as a stop gap measure until I get new doors which could be a few years minimum.

Another alternative is chequer plate but that just hides the problem and doesnt stop the problem.

You can kind of see the bubbles and oxidation in this shot.

What do you think? I'm leaning toward just a black strip along the bottom. Visually it would make the truck appear to sit even higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nightmaregulch06 044.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	12906  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2008, 11:20 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Cool Bottom paint

I had an old ford that I was tring to hide some imperfections on and I used The spray on Rhino liner and it did hide what I wanted and has held up for over a year.
On my 90 I did paint a 2 inch strip above the sliders to cover up some door corrosion, looks good to me. I can take some pics if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
My front door bottoms are pretty oxidised and ratty looking. I wont be buying new doors anytime soon and have been thinking of painting the bottom 3-4" of the doors and A post B post abd C post. Basicly a 3-4" strip along the bottom of the truck.

Here is what I have been thinking. Sand and paint with a Line-X type paint, say black and leave it at that, or sand, Line-X in a lighter color and try and match the body color.

Or leave it alone.

It looks pretty bad as is and would like to do something as a stop gap measure until I get new doors which could be a few years minimum.

Another alternative is chequer plate but that just hides the problem and doesnt stop the problem.

You can kind of see the bubbles and oxidation in this shot.

What do you think? I'm leaning toward just a black strip along the bottom. Visually it would make the truck appear to sit even higher.
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:43 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

If your not planning on painting your truck for a while... or ever, I'd do the black line-x stripe. if you do want to paint it it could be a real PITA to get off.

I think the line-x it would look cool. Your truck is the real deal anyway so go for it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Y'all made me go to the line-X site. Really cool, and now color coded to match. I was pretty impressed and 2 shops within a 30 minute drive.

Yet something else to add to the wish list. '#1 is getting the tranny fixed, then working on looks.
Old April 10th, 2008, 05:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would peel the bottom back and isolate the aluminium from the steel with some rubber strips and paint on the inside then i would leave the outside as is.
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:16 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I would peel the bottom back and isolate the aluminium from the steel with some rubber strips and paint on the inside then i would leave the outside as is.
I may do that with new doors to prevent damage but these are beyond sanding and painting. I think I'll do the Line-X to hide the mess and put some rubber in there.
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:21 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
x3. Anything else will not last very long. I learned the same lesson on my rear SW door.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Do nothing. You've already writtne of the current doors and are planning on buying new. Why bother Line-x when you can add that $$$ to the pile for new doors.
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:00 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
Do nothing. You've already writtne of the current doors and are planning on buying new. Why bother Line-x when you can add that $$$ to the pile for new doors.

Hard to argue with that. It's not like it's a show truck
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
Hard to argue with that. It's not like it's a show truck
It's still a cool truck and I can see your dismay with rust. But why spend twice? I say get the new doors and galvanize the innards and get some nice paint.
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:05 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
It's still a cool truck and I can see your dismay with rust. But why spend twice? I say get the new doors and galvanize the innards and get some nice paint.

I have already torn the front doors apart and welded a new door skeleton for them while I installed the electric windows after the roll up fell apart. The frame is solid, just tired of the white oxidation. I'll eventually get new doors, meaning several years from now, but for now I may just sand, primer and do the paint strip in Dupont pastel green so it wont be as noticeable. At least it will give me something to do while I'm at work.
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Kelly, I have two front doors that are gutted. They aren't perfect, but they're pretty decent. I can take pics of them if you want. They're that metallic dark aqua green, and might match your truck pretty well.

EDIT: I have most of the guts left too, spare glass as well...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions