Opinion wanted. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:03 PM
kellymoe's Avatar
kellymoe
Status: Offline
kevin
defender 130
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: burbank california
Posts: 967
Registry
Opinion wanted.

My front door bottoms are pretty oxidised and ratty looking. I wont be buying new doors anytime soon and have been thinking of painting the bottom 3-4" of the doors and A post B post abd C post. Basicly a 3-4" strip along the bottom of the truck.

Here is what I have been thinking. Sand and paint with a Line-X type paint, say black and leave it at that, or sand, Line-X in a lighter color and try and match the body color.

Or leave it alone.

It looks pretty bad as is and would like to do something as a stop gap measure until I get new doors which could be a few years minimum.

Another alternative is chequer plate but that just hides the problem and doesnt stop the problem.

You can kind of see the bubbles and oxidation in this shot.

What do you think? I'm leaning toward just a black strip along the bottom. Visually it would make the truck appear to sit even higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nightmaregulch06 044.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	12906  
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:20 PM
tomaco1's Avatar
tomaco1
Status: Online
T.mac
83 110
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,695
Registry
Cool Bottom paint

I had an old ford that I was tring to hide some imperfections on and I used The spray on Rhino liner and it did hide what I wanted and has held up for over a year.
On my 90 I did paint a 2 inch strip above the sliders to cover up some door corrosion, looks good to me. I can take some pics if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
My front door bottoms are pretty oxidised and ratty looking. I wont be buying new doors anytime soon and have been thinking of painting the bottom 3-4" of the doors and A post B post abd C post. Basicly a 3-4" strip along the bottom of the truck.

Here is what I have been thinking. Sand and paint with a Line-X type paint, say black and leave it at that, or sand, Line-X in a lighter color and try and match the body color.

Or leave it alone.

It looks pretty bad as is and would like to do something as a stop gap measure until I get new doors which could be a few years minimum.

Another alternative is chequer plate but that just hides the problem and doesnt stop the problem.

You can kind of see the bubbles and oxidation in this shot.

What do you think? I'm leaning toward just a black strip along the bottom. Visually it would make the truck appear to sit even higher.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:43 AM
D90user's Avatar
D90user
Status: Offline
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,447
If your not planning on painting your truck for a while... or ever, I'd do the black line-x stripe. if you do want to paint it it could be a real PITA to get off.

I think the line-x it would look cool. Your truck is the real deal anyway so go for it...

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
paulb's Avatar
paulb
Status: Offline
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Altos Hills California USA
Posts: 787
Y'all made me go to the line-X site. Really cool, and now color coded to match. I was pretty impressed and 2 shops within a 30 minute drive.

Yet something else to add to the wish list. '#1 is getting the tranny fixed, then working on looks.
__________________
I'm contemplating thinking about thinking about it!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old April 10th, 2008, 05:37 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
I would peel the bottom back and isolate the aluminium from the steel with some rubber strips and paint on the inside then i would leave the outside as is.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:16 PM
kellymoe's Avatar
kellymoe
Status: Offline
kevin
defender 130
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: burbank california
Posts: 967
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I would peel the bottom back and isolate the aluminium from the steel with some rubber strips and paint on the inside then i would leave the outside as is.
I may do that with new doors to prevent damage but these are beyond sanding and painting. I think I'll do the Line-X to hide the mess and put some rubber in there.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:21 AM
dmarchand's Avatar
dmarchand
Status: Offline
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 2,862
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I would peel the bottom back and isolate the aluminium from the steel with some rubber strips and paint on the inside then i would leave the outside as is.
x3. Anything else will not last very long. I learned the same lesson on my rear SW door.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Eric Siepmann
Status: Offline
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, Cook
Posts: 883
Do nothing. You've already writtne of the current doors and are planning on buying new. Why bother Line-x when you can add that $$$ to the pile for new doors.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:00 PM
kellymoe's Avatar
kellymoe
Status: Offline
kevin
defender 130
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: burbank california
Posts: 967
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
Do nothing. You've already writtne of the current doors and are planning on buying new. Why bother Line-x when you can add that $$$ to the pile for new doors.

Hard to argue with that. It's not like it's a show truck
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Eric Siepmann
Status: Offline
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, Cook
Posts: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
Hard to argue with that. It's not like it's a show truck
It's still a cool truck and I can see your dismay with rust. But why spend twice? I say get the new doors and galvanize the innards and get some nice paint.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:05 PM
kellymoe's Avatar
kellymoe
Status: Offline
kevin
defender 130
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: burbank california
Posts: 967
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
It's still a cool truck and I can see your dismay with rust. But why spend twice? I say get the new doors and galvanize the innards and get some nice paint.

I have already torn the front doors apart and welded a new door skeleton for them while I installed the electric windows after the roll up fell apart. The frame is solid, just tired of the white oxidation. I'll eventually get new doors, meaning several years from now, but for now I may just sand, primer and do the paint strip in Dupont pastel green so it wont be as noticeable. At least it will give me something to do while I'm at work.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Tawayama's Avatar
Tawayama
Status: Offline
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Riverton, Utah, USA
Posts: 384
Kelly, I have two front doors that are gutted. They aren't perfect, but they're pretty decent. I can take pics of them if you want. They're that metallic dark aqua green, and might match your truck pretty well.

EDIT: I have most of the guts left too, spare glass as well...
__________________
Michael Slade
www.tawayama.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WANTED - Factory Bumper! Stmpede Wanted 0 March 8th, 2007 12:22 AM
Wanted to Trade Disco or SE Tow Vehicle racerbvd Wanted 0 February 19th, 2006 02:28 PM
Wanted to Trade Disco or SE Tow Vehicle racerbvd For Sale - Vehicles 0 February 19th, 2006 02:23 PM
Wanted - Defender 90 - Wanted 94-97 geneseemtn Wanted 1 January 3rd, 2006 09:19 AM
factory hardtop wanted, possible trade RiMiD814 Wanted 3 November 4th, 2004 03:14 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.


Copyright