Opinion on driveability - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:51 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Drive it, but be aware. Check your oil lines in the morning that they are clear of the exsuast manifold. I would bring some oil with you and some tools to work on oil related fill plugs and fittings. You could check the engine oil, tranny, and t-case before you take off.

If you are conserned about the oil cooler lines you could remove the sandwich plate and run no oil through the lines. Its winter time so i doubt you would need extra cooling with highway driving.

AAA Plus. Some board members phone # that are close to the path you are driving home on would be some nice insurance.

I drove mine back from NC 11 hours straight and it was the best feeling ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:01 AM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

I disagree... I have no regrets, my lines are in serviceable shape(with 135k)- changing them simply because people think my rig will catch on fire is ludacris! if during regular mx intervals i feel my lines are unserviceable, i will change them... people blaming their engine fires on the dark mr. lucas simply based on myth vs. regular scheduled mx has always seemed a stretch to me. oh BTW i've had my rig for 14yrs/109k. call me lucky if you will- whatever you need to sleep at night.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:04 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie90 View Post
I disagree... I have no regrets, my lines are in serviceable shape(with 135k)- changing them simply because people think my rig will catch on fire is ludacris! if during regular mx intervals i feel my lines are unserviceable, i will change them... people blaming their engine fires on the dark mr. lucas simply based on myth vs. regular scheduled mx has always seemed a stretch to me. oh BTW i've had my rig for 14yrs/109k. call me lucky if you will- whatever you need to sleep at night.
Yeah... you're lucky. Maybe you just don't know what everyone is talking about? Lucas has nothing to do with crappy rubber failing and spraying atomized hot OIL right next to a scorching hot manifold. Call me crazy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:10 AM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

not gonna get in a fight with you- just stating the facts- i've known at least 4 NAS D-90 owners with more than 100k on their rigs with no fires (albeight we all check our rigs regularly for mx problems)... it seems that many owners think that NAS D-90's are mx free rigs... far from the truth. if you neglect an engine oil leak, especially an oil line, then your rig will probably catch on fire. this is not limited to a land rover, but probably any make. my stance is that if you monitor and perform reg mx, you will most likely catch deteriorating casings. for example, in the next couple years, i will probably replace my oil lines, as they have begun to deteriorate... but that is because i monitor them.

Jay
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:13 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

If that makes you feel comfortable, fine. But do not give that advice to a new 90 owner who's about to drive across country.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:32 AM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

okay you are right- one should expect a bumper to bumper warranty for a 14yr old vehicle.

but a realist would probably think rationally that there may be several issues. see the roversouteast thread if you have any questions. If you are going to buy a vehicle, it is upon the BUYER to make sure it is road-ready given an accurate seller's description.

Or should we expect every D-90 to catch on fire?

To the OP- Good luck, hopefully you enjoy the D-90.
Jay
Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:18 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
okay you are right- one should expect a bumper to bumper warranty for a 14yr old vehicle.

but a realist would probably think rationally that there may be several issues. see the roversouteast thread if you have any questions. If you are going to buy a vehicle, it is upon the BUYER to make sure it is road-ready given an accurate seller's description.

To the OP- Good luck, hopefully you enjoy the D-90.
Jay
WTF? It's not a matter of expecting every 90 to catch fire..why not just correct a known flaw for a few hundred dollars to prevent it.
Just inspect the lines before you go and take almost everyone's opinion and change them as soon as you get a chance. I flew to SC and drove back my first 90st, the whole trip was almost hurrican conditions. It was an awesome experience. You will know 50miles in if you have the sickness like most of us here do.
Good luck and congrates on the new truck. Looks like you got a pretty good deal. Check for rust in the rear crossmember and bulkhead and door bottoms before you sign.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:21 AM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

just buy it.

If you dont have AAA, remember this... you cannot get a tow within like 7 days of becoming a member. That is what they told me when I subscribed. This is probably to avoid people breaking down, then ordering AAA thinking they can get a tow right away. So, plan ahead.

I bought a fire extinguisher before I picked up my d90.

buy it, get insurance. if it burns to the ground...collect insurance and get another!!!

put up some pics or a link for it.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:33 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Drive it back.

sunflower seeds, red bull, AAA and a credit card.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:53 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

Buy it and drive it home...It would be well worth it to have it checked @ JC's or Rob @ www.mitautomotive.com/ ; both local Solihull members and good/knowledgably/reasonable mechanics. I have purchased 3 vehicles, RR, Porsche, and Mini Cooper sight unseen, one way tickets to Augusta GA & CA...Some of the best road trips I have ever had. Worst case is you are having it towed to the nearest service shop, getting to meet the locals, than on your way...

I can help shuttle to either of the shops if you like...pm me. Also, I had a local shop make me new oil cooler lines with a fire-jacket...cost me $38 plus my labor. Garage space/tools/lift coffee/beer available should you need them...enjoy.

Added: which LR dealer did you use as I know the service managers well and can check-in to see if they have any real concerns...
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:21 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I drive a 97. I replaced my oil cooler lines about three years ago when I was at about 60k and I just repalced my trans lines monday. From the pic you posted one of the lines looks a lot like mine did, which were begining to seep.

Replace them, change all the fluids, belt and hoses and drive it back.

The way I look at it is this...You're going to need (or should want) to do all this anyway so the incremental cost is really only the time value of money.

Clay
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Quote:

Jay
Your logic is escaping me.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Oil cooler lines are the cheapest insurance you can do. 90% of them will never burst and light the truck on fire. But why would you risk that for a $100 fix?

You will be fine driving the truck back. just make sure the oil lines are clear. When you get home buy some of make a set.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
You could also stop by an auto parts store and buy some of that heat wrap tape and wrap it around the oil cooler lines. It won't keep the lines from breaking but it may keep the oil from spraying onto the manifold. Hence no fire.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
He's not using logic, that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
Your logic is escaping me.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:52 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajavet View Post
I have a depsit on a clean '97 SW Limited Edition with 60K miles on it in Denver. I had inspected today at a LR dealer and have several small problems but also, the rear main seal is leaking and the head gaskets are leaking oil. The leaks are supposed to be small. The 60K service has not been done on it. I was planning on flying out from Tennessee and driving it the 1300 miles home.
I know there are alot of variables, but would these problems scare anybody away from making the trip?

Maybe we could get a pool going on how far I make it.

Anybody have any estimate on these repairs from a non LR dealer mechanic?

Thanks for your help.
Are the heads leaking oil or the valve covers? IIRC, the origonal cork valve cover gaskets were prone to leaking.
If the rear main leak is small, don't worry about it. When stopping to fuel up, evey 160-180 miles , check the oil level and top it off. Along with some tools, bring some oil and antifreeze...and a Parka jacket, it's collllllllllllllllld outside.
Should be fun road trip.

Good Luck...

Cheers...
Old February 6th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Bajavet
Mike Copenhaver
'94 D90 ST

Thank you for everyone's advice.

Well to put closure to this one. I was approached by a somewhat local person who wanted this '97 LE as it was low mileage and a very clean vehicle. He made me a great deal on a '94 ST in exchange to take over the deal I made on the '97. I was really looking for more of an off roader that I didn't have to worry about so much and the '97 was too clean and pretty for that. He is going to have it shipped from Colorado.
Not a very exciting story to tell but it worked out much better for me in the end.
Old February 6th, 2011, 10:40 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Good stuff. Pics? How can you get a new truck and not post pictures?! Oh and the oil cooler line advice applies even more to the '94 than the '97
Old February 6th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Bajavet
Mike Copenhaver
'94 D90 ST

I don't have it at home yet. Getting some work done to it currently including a 2" lift, winch, jump seats and Hella Lights. Will try to post some pictures after I pick it up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions