Opinion on a high milage D90 Wagon - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 9th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Jerry Silverman
Smile Opinion on a high milage D90 Wagon

Hey everyone...... i'm a Discovery owner and am looking at a high mileage (150K) 97 D90 Auto Wagon. I have had several land rovers in the past but never a defender and am looking for any opinions on buying a high mileage D90. The vehicle is a two owner, not an offroad truck, and has been serviced exclusively (i'm told) at the LR dealer. So I guess i'm just curious how dependable it will be with so many mile, what a fair price would be, and any serious "problem" areas to look for. Thanks in advance!

Oh.... also. I'm a tall fella, 6'4", and have heard that leg room can be tight in a model with AC. Any opinions?

Old November 9th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C
As with any used car, if it's maintained well, you shouldn't shy away from a high-mileage truck, especially if it's priced right. You can even use the high-mileage as a bargaining factor. If you're used to LRs already, then the D90 is not that much different. Typical rover leaks, lucas (albeit less electronics than Discos) rust, etc.

Check for rust on the following areas:

Gas Tank plate
Door bottoms (check out the bottom frame of the door assembly)

Check condition on:

Body seals, weather stripping (just because it's a SW doesn't mean it's not prone to water leaks)
Listen for sticky valves, any kind of engine tiks (signs of poor maintenance)

Although some exceeded well past that mileage, you're probably not gonna have a lot of life left on a 150K engine without a rebuild at one point. Used that as a bargaining chip as well. Plenty of 4.0 engines under $3k and used ones under $2K. Another option to consider is a Tdi or a 2.8 swap.

More importantly, search the threads in this forum. Lots of questions lately for buying a 90 for the first time. Welcome aboard!

Old November 9th, 2005, 10:13 PM
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles
Ditto what Glenn said.

as well as
ZF Trans cooler lines

Knowing what I know now, I'd consider that necessary replacement if purchased.

The rest is easy.
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Broke It
Dave Butler
99 disco
The seats in the 90 do not support alot of your lef and can cause fatigue on long drives. REbuildin the engine is a good idea, when you do the top end replace the timing chain. the bottom end all the bearings and seals, no short cuts. If its a little drafty on the inside just remember its a real 4x4. I love the short wheel basem there alot of fun to drive. Mechanically its about the same as a Disco underneath. I would buy it and have a blast.
Old November 10th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)
You can always rip out the AC and sell it to rebuild or replace the engine!

Nobody's truck has all the parts that came with it (or very few...especially on this board)
"Pump one is on for the black Jeep"
"It's not a Jeep"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

90, d90