Defender Source Forum banner

opening a locked door?

Tags
door
3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  stalkem 
#1 ·
So, my passenger door is locked but neither the key nor the inside latch will open the door. Any suggestions on how to open the door so I can fix the lock?

#2 · (Edited)
Not enough information to make a determination.
You need something like, the key is turning the lock, or the key is not turning the lock.
The inside button does this and so on.
The handles are lift up or the handles are push button.
Then you have the potential to get some useful replies.

#4 ·
I guess I could have been a bit more detail oriented. It is a push button lock on a 1988 110 SW. The key turns with no click fro engaging the tumbler. on the inside, the button does not go all the way up and stay, feels like it has little tension on it but is restricted from going all the way up. I should also add that this is the result of my wife (after repeated attempts to get her to stop and push the door handle button while pushing down on the lock button) forced the lock down.

#8 ·
Open the window and work the key and lock plunger at the same time. Sometimes the combined leverage will free the lock. If not, free the top of the door panel so you can get your fingers in the linkage and manually free the lock.

#10 ·
I've had intermittent problems opening the door lock as described since my truck spent a while underwater. In each case the issue was that the door wasn't fully latched closed. Try giving the door a good pull / push to make sure the door is closed while operating the door lock. Mine typically seems to engage the lock correctly once the door is properly latched and then allows it to release freely afterwards.... hope this is all that's needed for yours - removing via hinges doesn't sound like an easy fix without denting something.

#13 ·
You posted: "on the inside, the button does not go all the way up and stay"

Have you tried pulling up on the "button" while you push the actual button on the exterior handle? Or pulling up on the "button" while you unlatch the interior door latch? If that doesn't work, you might try pulling up on the "button" while you rapidly & repetitively work the exterior open button or interior open latch for 30 secs or so. One of my RRC doors needs the repetition workout sometimes & that same door always needs to have the lock held up vertically while the latch is pulled to open it. My rear hatch almost always needs the repetition workout to open. :(

#14 ·
I've got a similar issue, but rear passenger door, so no key tumbler. I pushed the lock down, which locked the door, but now when I slide it back up, it doesn't go all the way, keeping the door locked. I'm going to try cowboy's recommendation.

Brentflyfish, if/when you get your door open, I'd appreciate learning what worked for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.