Only runs for a few seconds... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 20th, 2006, 05:34 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Only runs for a few seconds...

Troubleshooting a problem that stranded me on the highway a few weeks back.... Symptoms are the engine dying on the highway and not being able to restart. After sitting for a few mins it will start again and run for about 10 seconds before dying. My guess was fuel not getting through. Went today and changed the fuel filter. Reconnected the hoses and the truck fired right up and ran for about a minute or two. It reved fine wasn't stuttering nothing all was well. THen it died again. Took the distributor cap off cleaned the contacts and the truck fired up perfectly. ran for three mins and crapped out again. I would say fuel pump is the culprit but it does run for a few mins before dying and i do hear it hum when i turn the key. It's getting spark.. Any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2006, 06:00 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Did you check the fuel pump relay?.
Old August 20th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Rotor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2006, 08:22 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

you think I should just change the rotor all together? I have not checked the fuel pump relay, to tell you the truth, I am not 100% sure where it is. Can you give me some directions. By the way, do d-90s have the hole in the trunk that allows access to the fuel pump like some RRs have?
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:42 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

The reason I said rotor is that it sounds like once it heats up, it quits. Pull the coil wire off the cap, pull the cap off, or just out of the way. Hold the coil wire end about a 1/4 inch from the rotor and have someoneturn it over. If the spark just disappears the rotor is most likely bad. If the spark jumps out to the side, then it's not the rotor. How long do you have to let it sit before it runs for a bit?

There isn't an access hole for your fuel pump. You have to drop the skid and the tank.
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:51 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
The fuel pump relay is behing the RH toe box pass(kick panel). side. Relay module EF8, should be yellow in color.
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:59 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

When it dies and you try to restart do you hear the fuel pump come on?
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:02 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

RH you mean passenger side, right. THat means I'd have to drop the AC, crappy... After changing the fuel filter, sometimes after it dies it will restart again but only run for about 5 seconds. It will restart about 3-4 times and then it just turns over. Usually a minute or two of sitting still will be enough time for a short restart. How hot can the engine get if it's only on for a minute or so? MIke- I do hear the fuel pump come on everytime i try and retart it. I actually pause for a second every restart to listen for it.
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:55 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

RH = right hand side, passenger side

Drop AC? I don't think so. You can probaly stick your head under the dash and find it.
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM
GeoParth
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST

i had that problem ... turned out that when wheeling i managed to fill the computer compartment with water. after pulling the drain plug all was good. maybe it is the computer is what i am really getting at.
Old August 21st, 2006, 02:38 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

guess I will start with the fuel relay and rotor. Hopefully that will get me somewhere. John, when I say drop the ac i don't mean the vents. The kickboard is completely blocked by the ac condenser which takes up most of the footwell on the passenger side. THere is no way I could get my head under there.
Old August 21st, 2006, 05:28 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

If the Fuel pump is coming on then there is nothing wrong with the relay! The relay powers the fuel pump. IIRC the ECU controls the fuel pump relay, so if the ECU is messed up then the fuel pump won't come on.

When it doesn't restart have you tried flooring the accelerator? If the engine is flooded it will have a hard time starting and flooring it may help.

One thing to give a GOOD look over, the connections on the coil, there is a wire (black and white strips IIRC) that runs back to the ECU, it heads towards the MAF and connects to a little black plastic thing, about the size of a dime but square. If this connection is bad in any way the ECU will shut off fuel to the engine because it thinks the engine has stopped turning! This signal is also gives the ECU the timing to open the injectors, so if it is not making a good connection it will surely rain on your parade! I have seen the connections on the coil being the problem on more then one occasion!
Old August 21st, 2006, 05:36 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Mike, when my relay was getting dirty, the Rover would start run for a while then suddenly cut out. Restarting was a b.tch. But then again I also had to clean the coil connections.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:29 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I am gonna take a look at that the coil wires. Before leaving for moab last time I took the valve covers off and had to remove MAF. THe wire might have got messed up in that process. Although that was 6,000 miles ago. It was stuttering along the trip, come to think of it...
Old August 27th, 2006, 10:40 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Score one for Mr. Hippert.. that little black wire was the culprit. Took a knife and scratched the contacts clean and tightened the connection up and the truck ran fine. At the same time i cleaned the stepper motor but i'm 99% sure it was the black wire that did it. Naturally, I didn't clean that connection before buying and changing the fuel filter, ignition rotor, distributor cap and pull the whole trunk apart looking for hte best route to the fuel pump. Thanks everyone for the help..
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:23 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
Score one for Mr. Hippert.. that little black wire was the culprit. Took a knife and scratched the contacts clean and tightened the connection up and the truck ran fine. At the same time i cleaned the stepper motor but i'm 99% sure it was the black wire that did it. Naturally, I didn't clean that connection before buying and changing the fuel filter, ignition rotor, distributor cap and pull the whole trunk apart looking for hte best route to the fuel pump. Thanks everyone for the help..
Score two for Mr. Hippert. I had the same problem and found this old thread. Worked like a charm. I couldn't own my 90 with out this forum...

Thanks,

Alex
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Bump.

Mine is doing this and I cleaned all the coil wires and the white one is good at least back to the junction by the square dime thing (which I replaced).

Ron

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions