Only one catalytic converter??? opinions?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 10th, 2005, 03:02 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Only one catalytic converter??? opinions??

Hey guys, I was over at GBR the other day talking to Bill and picking up some stuff. We got to chatting about exhausts because I am going the custom route during this rebuild I am doing. I had planned on making the new system very similar to the stock one with the exception of headers and slightly bigger pipe, the layout would be almost the same though.

Anyway, he said that on one of his Range Rovers he took out the catalytic converters and put straight pipe in place of them. Then he put one single catalytic converter right in front of the muffler but after the y-pipe comes together. He claims he still passed emissions and everything with it. Now, my question is, have any of you seen this before and what are your thoughts/opinions?

As a side note, I have thought it through and like the idea... the O2 sensors shouldn't be a problem because it will be going on a 1994 d-90 which only has one sensor per side and they are both pre-cat anyway. What do you guys think??
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

It could work, but you will need a short muffler as there isn't much space on a d-90 in that area for a cat unless you can move the Y part up closer to the front, hmmmmmmmmm Ask the shop doing the work what they think.
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

The O2 sensors require a certain temp to work properly. They are heated but rely on the heat from the cats to maintain temp. They may not be as accurate if you put them too far from the cat.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I've seen a number of designs from the factory that have that exact setup without problem, and I've also seen a lot designs with the O2 Sensor threaded into the exhaust manifold but the cat is about 3 feet away.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:01 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

were these setups on Defenders Hans? Is there anybody that you can refer me to?
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Not on Defenders, no. I was more referring to vehicles by other manufacturers Most domestic V8's that I've seen from Chevy/Dodge/Ford made in the 80's/90's run single convertors. But it should be possible to do it in a Defender with a single muffler setup. Especially with some of the smaller metal-core cats they have these days.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:50 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Yeah, that's the kind of cat that I was thinking about. When I talked to Bill, he couldn't really tell me too much of the technical stuff, he just said it worked and a friend of his with a exhaust shop did it for him. He said it had a much throatier note to it. I kind of like the idea... I could afford one cat that's maybe a little bit nicer instead of 2 that I have to scrimp on a little bit.
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:30 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm not qualified to speak to whether it would perform properly, but there will be the matter of figuring out how to stuff it in. You have to move it rearward, and the stock cats are stuffed in there next to the footboxes. The then the seatbox and crossmember are in the way, and after that you have a short space before you hit the center crossmember which mounts the front of the wishbone. You cant put it behind the rear crossmember without interference with the axle and the fuel tank.

I see the main advantage as moving that huge heat source away from the footboxes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions