One bank flooding out - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 16th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Defenderbuser
Chuck Duncan
1994 D90 Softop

One bank flooding out

I just installed a new set of Ford 5.0 injectors in my 3.9. Found more than one site that said this was an acceptable substitute to the OEM Bosch units. Engine ran fine, dare I even say good, for about 20 minutes but then began flooding out the right bank and dumping fuel in all cylinders so bad that they would not fire. There is fuel running out the exhaust joints on the right side. All right side spark plugs wet with fuel. Spun engine over and sprayed fuel out spark plug holes. The left side is bone dry, and I suspect the only 4 cyilnders that were working.

Looking for thoughts and comments. Have some of my own but lets see what others say first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2009, 01:39 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
First I need to ask, why did you feel the need to change out the injectors in the first place? Were you having some kind of trouble with the original injectors?
Old June 16th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Defenderbuser
Chuck Duncan
1994 D90 Softop

I've had a myriad of issues with this ride since last Fall. Have thought that things were fixed several times, only to have new issues arise within weeks. Each repair seems to fix, but then new, slightly different, slightly similar symptoms crop up. The latest issue was that the engine would not idle, just spun down and out if you would let it. I had the uninstalled injectors from one of the earlier rounds of t/s and repairs. I figured that I may as well install them before I continued t/s the idle issue since I already had them.
We now have new injectors?, stepper motor, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, Mallory distributor has new Unilight module, coil, ballast resistor, coolant temp sensor, and main and FP relays. Probably some other stuff that I've forgotten.
Have had low idle, high idle, surging, and missing at various stages. Have thought that problems were fixed many times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2009, 03:10 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thoughts:

1- I'm a bit confused, you had already swapped injectors and now you have swapped back? What is "t/s"?

2- I have never liked Mallory Unilite distributors

3- Have you checked the engine grounds?

4- Have you replaced the air pipe to the stepper or checked it for leaks?

5- When replacing the stepper how did you set the base idle rpm?

6- When the injectors were off did you look for rust in the fuel rail?

7- Have you checked the fuel pressure?

8- Have you replaced the fuel pressure regulator?
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Defenderbuser
Chuck Duncan
1994 D90 Softop

See replies in bold below. Thanks for taking time to offer your input. I need to put together a list of issues and resolutions for all the stuff over the last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
Thoughts:

1- I'm a bit confused, you had already swapped injectors and now you have swapped back? What is "t/s"? Had been running with original injectors until only recently when I installed the Ford injectors. Ford injectors are still in. T/S short for troubleshoot; sorry, old habit.

2- I have never liked Mallory Unilite distributors. Much cheaper than LR and needed one. Unilite is simple to t/s, but module was only about 3 years old when it recently failed. Installed the power filter inline this time to see if I could increase longevity.

3- Have you checked the engine grounds? I have checked the ground post at the firewall of right bank and the grounds at the rear of the left bank head. Also cleaned battery ground on drivetrain. My manual shows two large ground straps and a braided ground at the rear of the engine that my truck does not have. I called Rovers North and asked about it and the guy there says that his does not have these straps either. I have had the truck for about ten years now and it only had 19,000 miles on it when I bought it, and if they were removed, it would have to have been during the warranty period. It has not been in a shop since warranty; I am only one who works on it.

4- Have you replaced the air pipe to the stepper or checked it for leaks? Air pipe is original and has been off recently. I did not notice any issues w/ it, but can't hurt to take another look.

5- When replacing the stepper how did you set the base idle rpm? I replaced the stepper motor on my way to work one morning; just remove and install. Huge improvement; even better after I reset the ECU that night. Ran like a top for about two weeks.

6- When the injectors were off did you look for rust in the fuel rail? Did not check for rust but will siince I will probably put old injectors back in for a while if I change ECU. Truck is daily driver and has never sit for more than about a week which should help the rust issue a little.

7- Have you checked the fuel pressure? Have wanted to check pressure by installing permanent gage in dash. Looking for a "T" fitting to adapt a sender to the fuel pressure regulator inlet.

8- Have you replaced the fuel pressure regulator? No. Really wanted to check pressure before jumping on that part, although have considered it as possible suspect.
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:48 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Well its tough since you likely have two seperate issues here, but first and foremost now is the injectors. I suspect you had/have some rust in the fuel rail (common in these parts) and its made its way into the injectors and they are hanging open on that side, causing them to massively bleed off fuel rail pressure into the intake. Be careful, this much gas washing down the cylinders is bad for the sleeves and the piston rings since its effectively cleaning all the lubricant off of those parts. Also, be advised your oil likely is now full of fuel- enough gas in the oil can accelerate the deterioration of the front and rear crank seals and oil cooler lines- I suggest checking the oil and if the level is any higher than normal drain it ASAP.
I also vote against the fuel pressure guage in the dash idea- that is, if you were planning on installing the type that requires you to install a T fitting and run a line full of pressurized fuel into the cabin. Electrically a D90 dash and wiring is, well, primitive and you really really do not need to be piping in gasoline to that environment.

About the other stuff, its tough to diagnose properly like this but I am inclined to look harder at the stepper motor and air bleed screw setting. I am no high preist of the 14CUX but unless I am mistaken the computer is constantly looking to achieve an ideal RPM and over time (even a couple weeks) can get all befuddled if it isnt reset to that RPM range. It has been a while, but the procedure goes somethign like this- reset the ECU, unplug the stepper, disconnect the air line to it and cap it off, start the truck and slowly adjust the screw in the upper plenum (near the butterfly) until you achieve the RPM range found on the data sticker. Connecting a digital tachometer helps tremendously as the OEM tach, if equipped, is not always that accurate, at least on the RRC. I think its somewhere around 650-850, I usually set it just a little bit on the higher end of the range, 780 or so. In a D90 or pre-95 RRC you should get a nice whistle sound from the air filter can when the idle is right. It can be a little annoying but its what you want to hear.

Follow-up Post:

BTW, if it comes to it, I just may have the 14CUX ecu from a '95 Disco stashed somewhere you can try for free.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions