Onboard air setup help needed. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 7th, 2014, 11:01 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Onboard air setup help needed.

I need some idea help. I'm installing an arb Onboard air compressor under my passenger seat box. This will be used for airing up tires. I have it all set and working but I want to mount the air hose disconnect under the truck is I don't have to undo my interior to air up tires. I also want it mid truck so I'm not having to stretch to get to the rear tires. Finally I'm worried also about dirt and debris so having some type of cover would be awesome.

Soooo... What have you all done to accomplish similar setups?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2014, 11:19 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
You need to get ahold of Josh, Crash303. He has the most awesome on board air setup I have ever seen. ARB compressor under the seat, reserve air tank, and air hookups in each fender well.

A work of art, it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 7th, 2014, 11:25 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I think he needs to post a write up in the smaller projects section.

-Jeff
I agree. I guess I will have to see if he wants to take pictures...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2014, 01:54 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Well I got it setup, but I really want to keep the head attachment clean. I'm thinking about some type of dry box.
Old March 8th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Yes, photos! I haven't installed mine yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
I agree. I guess I will have to see if he wants to take pictures...
Old March 9th, 2014, 11:18 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Ok. I came up with a plan. It involves using the existing drain hole in the passenger cubby box, and a bait jar! I will get some pics up on this.
Old March 9th, 2014, 11:51 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Well I got it setup, but I really want to keep the head attachment clean. I'm thinking about some type of dry box.
The external hookup is a female quick disconnect, right? So get the male end and thread a cap onto it, keep it connected to the female hookup. Or try Parker for an actual quick disconnect plug. The plugs have a little loop on the end for a tether so it doesn't get lost.
Old March 9th, 2014, 12:23 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I had a setup like what you are describing in my previous Defender. Pump under the passenger seat, an illuminated switch on the dash to turn it on/off and an air tank stuffed under the hood with a quick disconnect for the air hose. It was cool looking but the ARB compressor was really tasked for anything other than airing up tires. I'm sure a bigger tank would have made it a bit better but then the ARB would be running for 10 minutes just to initially top off the tank.
I eventually purchased a Power Tank so I could continuously run air tools when needed and I still own it.
Old March 9th, 2014, 03:10 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I am not running a tank, air lockers or tools on it. I have a Detroit setup on lockers, and you really don't want me around air tools. This is purely for my tires and also for our tubeless mtb tire setup when we are mountain biking. Anyway this is what I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	91008  
Old March 9th, 2014, 10:27 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Hmmmmm, I was thinking of something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Dixon-Valve-Co...F7Z0W2AZ52RY5N
With one of these threaded on the end:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZLBN1A/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

But yeah the tackle box works I guess...........
Old March 9th, 2014, 11:12 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

The bait box/jar is really there to keep the ARB issued female connector dry and clean. It had a really big screw on top, but a really shallow depth so it won't really hang down.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions