Onboard air ideas/not locker related - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 6th, 2014, 09:09 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Onboard air ideas/not locker related

Hello everyone. I'm getting my truck more trailworthy, and I'm looking to add an Onboard air setup. I'm running a Detroit rear so I don't need to supply my locker. I'm curious as to what you all are using and where stuff is stored. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

There are a lot of great options out there. Do you intend to use it for tire inflation, or do you plan to run air tools as well?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 6th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Good call Ash.

I think air tools are not on a lot of people's minds when thinking about on board air. They should be, it's a HUGE benefit. Get sized up accordingly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2014, 09:42 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
search b777onr for my ARB compressor install

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old February 6th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
What engine?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:07 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Talk to jefhuf (LeloFab). Let's just say his onboard air is the things dreams are made of. It's like an octopus with the tentacles going to each tire, and it airs up 34-35" tires in like 2 minutes. I said *tentacles*.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 6th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
I'm a belt and suspenders kinda guy; like Pedro...or Tony. Meaning I have both an air compressor (under driver's seat of my D1; tank is tucked into the frame under truck) and a powertank. Have found myself in situations where both are used and it was nice to have the redundancy.

Two is one...one is none.
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:14 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
A neat way to go is the 3 gallon eas tank off a range rover classic plumbed to a 12v compressor or two.

Huffs York with manifold and 4 airlines is bad ass if you have the room under the hood.

I wimped and went with a 20lb co2 bottle. I use it for the impact regularly, even dried out an ecu in the dark @ Rausch Creek with it once

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 6th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Huff is his own pit crew able to change axles in a 20 minute flurry, his trail repairs are legend....dary....lol!

You may not need that kind of advanced set up. Lots of threads for ideas. I have a viair550c (NLA) plumbed to an eas tank mounted along the frame. The compressor is tucked up into the rear passenger wheel well. I have a quick connect for a hose behind the passenger seat and it supplies both lockers. All of the air components are in the under seat cubby.

I'm going to switch it out for the 400c as it's more weather resistant then rebuilt it for a spare this year.
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:58 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
A converted A/C compressor and a LWB air tank and your golden. Also allows you to run ridiculous air horns.

-Jeff
Photos supplied by the local HH in the Walmart parking lot no doubt! lol...
Old February 7th, 2014, 12:05 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

It's hard to beat a York compressor. High volume, reliable air. You can find them for cheap in many 1970s-1980s era cars at the Pick-n-Pull or you can buy a nice, shiny, rebuilt model from Kilby or on eBay. Tire inflation, air tools, dust removal, and so much more.

I love this photo of Defender Source user sheki, whipping cream with his York and a Snap-on die grinder.

/
/
/
/
Old February 7th, 2014, 07:43 AM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

I have this setup in my 96' disco and it works really well. But don't be fooled into thinking it's going to be a cheap project just because you can get the York for a bargain. Plan on spending 4 or 500 by the time you get done tweaking everything. Some of the little stuff you are going to have to break down and buy from Kilby. And I would spend the money for high end poly tubing and push fittings from fastenal or the like because if you are like me you are going to need to switch stuff around as you perfect the system. It is much easier to work on stuff when you just have to push the collar and pull out your air lines to get them out of the way.

I found a step by step guide that was on pirate or one of the forums with 4x4 in the title that was pretty good. The only thing I never got right was using a old bike gear lever as an under the hood throttle control. By that point I had been fiddling with it for a year or so and was spent on that project.

Eventually I plan to build a super version of the system for my Duramax with a 60 gallon tank hidden in a truck box.

My advice would be if you actually want to get to use the system rather than just build it would be to break down and buy the Kilby kit and have a shop fab the mounting bracket. Saves a lot of time and only about 30% more money by my calculations.
Old February 7th, 2014, 08:50 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

I run C02.

First off, the key is to have a reliable local source of C02. Fortunately I have a place here local to my office. Take off during lunch, go over there, $10 to fill my 10lb tank, good to go.

If you do not have this kind of convenience, then do not get a C02 tank. However with the growing popularity of home brew and keggerators, they are becoming more and more common.

Avoid Air Liquide and welder places as they typically only want to do tank exchanges. However if you build your own C02 system, you can get in on a tank exchange system with them which is extremely convenient. However if you like pretty tanks and crap, then you will be disappointed because their tanks are crappy heavy steel nasty tanks.

Second, get gauges. Yes they are more expensive but they can tell you what is going on inside your tank. For me, a fresh tank will be at ~2,000 psi. Within a few uses, its down to 1,500 psi. Then it stays there forever. Then it drops to 1,000 psi. Once again, stays there for a while. At 500 psi, I've pretty much got 2 uses left in it. So as you can see, with the gauges, you know when you are about to run out.

C02 is super handy as I can throw it in the back of just about any vehicle and go. Need to help a friend with a flat? Throw the tank in the back of the sedan. When I went to the beach in my dad's Yukon, I put the tank in the back. No messing with wires, etc. Just put it in the back. Was convenient. Also when you are stuck in a stupid long line of vehicles and the guy in the front needs air, just pull it out of the back of the truck and go. Same when helping others air up. Putting tires back on the bead is very easy with C02 and a ratchet strap.

Now the last time I wheeled, a guy had a Puma 12v air compressor and tank. He just got it so it wasn't hard wired to his truck. That said, I was extremely impressed with it. Considering the price, its not too bad. Basically filled up 8 33x12.50 tires in quick time...and that is with the 2.5 (or 5 gallon, whatever) tank empty at the beginning. If you were to separate the air compressor from the tank and hard wire everything, then it would be far more efficient.

X2 on york compressors. Friggen awesome units. I personally like the Oasis version which is basically a York hooked up to an electric motor. I'm sure you could conjure your own version that doesn't cost a friggen arm and a leg. Seems like all of my jeep friends who installed it onto their engines never got it to work right or whatever. However when they did work, changing out axle shafts with an impact was pretty friggen awesome.

The MV-50 is a giant POS. Its $60...you get what you pay for. Now that said, you can always take it back and warranty it. However that doesn't help you when its 9pm at night and you are trying to air up...and wolves show up.

Overall I'm pro C02 because mine just works. I know when its going down and before a trip if I need to hop over and get it filled, I can do so on my lunch break. Except for that Puma air compressor, seems like all of my friends who have gone with a cheap air compressor setup end up using my C02 tank. Also these are typically small tires, 235/85, etc. If you start getting into 35s and 37s, well then you will know something.

I apologize for my incoherent rambling. Please feel free to completely disregard.
Old February 7th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
$15
save your money for gas and girls...who needs airhorns Briggs?

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP03-1...CTRIC+AIR+PUMP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12Vairpump.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	89262  

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:02 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Another vote for a York 210 here. It's basically like attaching an oil-lubricated shop compressor to your engine. It will fill a 3 gallon tank to 140psi in 45 seconds.
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:09 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Another vote for a York 210 here. It's basically like attaching an oil-lubricated shop compressor to your engine. It will fill a 3 gallon tank to 140psi in 45 seconds.
Ed, which stroke did you end up selecting?
Long Stroke = 10.3 ci (169 cc)
Medium Stroke = 8.69 ci (142 cc)
Short Stroke = 6.10 ci (100 cc)
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You want the long stroke. It has the most capacity and they are the same size on the outside. I fill two tires at once and it takes about 30 seconds.

Old February 7th, 2014, 10:16 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Ed, which stroke did you end up selecting?
Long Stroke = 10.3 ci (169 cc)
Medium Stroke = 8.69 ci (142 cc)
Short Stroke = 6.10 ci (100 cc)
I chose the York 210, which is the Long Stroke unit I believe the medium stroke is the 209 and the short stroke is the 206.
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:26 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I chose the York 210, which is the Long Stroke unit I believe the medium stroke is the 209 and the short stroke is the 206.
Did you score it on eBay?

I've got to redo my onboard air....my compressor crapped out & need to replumb and put in new tank. Will be hopefully getting around to it this spring.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 7th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Go to any junkyard. Go to the Ford or Volvo areas. 5 minutes, $25 and you will have one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions