Onboard air - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2007, 10:18 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Onboard air

I went to my local welding and gas company looking for a cheaper way to put a CO2 tank in my rig. They had 5 and 20 gal tanks. I thought the 5 gal would fit best and the shop guy said it would probably fill all 4 35's about 4-6 times. This sounds ideal and it costs $70 for the tank and then the regulator is $60.

Have any of you guys gone this route? Anything I need to know about b/4 going this way? Any mounting recommendations for the SW with the rear seats removed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2007, 10:33 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I have a Powertank which is a fancy CO2 tank. Works great and can power air tools on the trail if needed. The one thing you need to mind is that the tank must be upright to work. If it is sideways or upside down the CO2 will be a liquid instead of a gas and will just freeze up the regulator. Mount it upright and you have one hell of an air source.
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:09 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Sorry, but I should have been more clear. i am familiar withteh Power Tank brand but I was wondering if building my own which is significantly cheaper would be just as effective. I believe the Power Tank is a 10 lb tank and I am looking at a 5 or a 20 lb tank (I know, I said gal in the first post). Will I have enough CO2 if I go with a 5 lb tank? How long does the 10 lb power tank last? Any specific regulators I should look for?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2007, 01:53 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Mike there are supposedly differences in the quality of the regulators - some freeze up I am told. I'm looking to do the same thing but with an old scuba tank. I need to get a valve first, but plan on buying this regulator:

http://www.okieweb.com/outbackequipped/products.htm#reg

Since it's used for power tanks it should be good. From what I gather a gauge is not needed because when it has CO2 it read the same pressure until it's empty - so go by weight.

The other thing you get from buying a pre-made OBA system is a nice carrying handle which also protects the valve and regulator, and also mounting gear. Keep that in mind because they do add up unless you fab your own.

hth
charles
Old October 13th, 2007, 04:45 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

If you buy a soda fountain Co2 tank it already has the handle/protector. Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-lb-Co2-Tank-K...QQcmdZViewItem

If you look around you can find them cheaper. If you want a mount buy a fire extinguisher mounting bracket. I looked at piecing a unit together, can be done with all new parts for under $200. That is a 10lb Co2, regulator, hose and mounting bracket.

I have used a 10 lb Co2 tank quiet a few times and I really like them. They seem to last a long time.
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:54 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

That 10# tank is the same price as the 5# one I was shown at the welding supply shop. I like that option. Now where to mount the tank?
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:51 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

http://www.offroadtuff.com/CO2Regulators.htm

I have their stuff and it's great!
Old October 13th, 2007, 08:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Mmh, the complete basic 10lb setup (including mount) is only $230 at offroadstuff.com. Kind of makes trying to piece it yourself together silly

charles
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:16 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

Is there any issue with the tank given how hot it can get inside the truck during the summer?
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:27 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Mmh, the complete basic 10lb setup (including mount) is only $230 at offroadstuff.com. Kind of makes trying to piece it yourself together silly

charles

Yeah, your right.

I kept seeing systems for a round $300 or more and thought I could beat that price easy. Well this makes it easy.
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:29 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, I would love to have been able to use this scuba tank, but think I'll get one of those source systems too.

charles
Old October 14th, 2007, 01:01 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiamham
Is there any issue with the tank given how hot it can get inside the truck during the summer?

Some welding supply places don't like to fill to max. in the summer. If it does overheat it has a rupture disc which can be replaced. I don't know how fast the disc releases the pressure so it might be unpleasant if it happened? Not sure about food service CO2 bottles.

It is worth buying a scale to keep track of how much is in the bottle. There is one place that I have taken mine in the past that never fills my 10 lb over about 6 lbs no matter how many times I tell him I want a full 10. Another place fills it to 10 and says , hey don't blame me if it pops off in the summer heat. Some of the tank websites have pretty good info on how many tires of what size they can fill. Filling 35's 4 to 6 times on a 5 lb sounds a little optimistic to me, depends on how low you air down.
Old October 14th, 2007, 06:04 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
www.beveragefactory.com has 20# tanks for $100. I bought a Source regulator for $50 and a adjustable regulator from Harbor Freight for another $8. That is a pretty cheap CO2 set up.
Old October 14th, 2007, 06:40 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have a 15# powertank and a 10# powertank, both I have purchased used. They are exceptional. The powertank regulators do not freeze up as bad as others I have used. Make sure you get a good hose, the cheaper ones freeze up pretty quick, and they can crack and break.

My plan is to upgrade the regulators to the newest powertank ones, at some point. Eitherway, having a co2 system makes sense, it is portable and provides plenty of power. I have used it with my impact wrenches on the trail and around the house. I mounted one in my Yukon XL when I travel, it make live much easier.

Old October 14th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You can buy used tanks on ebay for $50. You can also get balloon filling regulators from party supply stores for dirt cheap. They are small and never freez. Even running air tools. The big downside is they are not adjustable, but are set at 100psi. It works for me though as thats the right psi for the ARB and to run my impact wrench.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 14th, 2007, 07:35 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I've never had a problem with my cheap regulators freezing either. As I mentioned above the Harbor Freight in line regulator is a cheap way to adjust the psi.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions