On-board shower - home built design - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 15th, 2008, 07:15 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

On-board shower - home built design

I've been wanting an on-board hot water shower rig like some of my other club members but being the engineer type that I am I figured I could build a better system than any of the commercially available units I've seen. I'm about 90% done with my rig so I thought I'd share a progress report.

I was looking at some of the flat plate heat exchangers that some veggie oil burners are using in their diesels and thought that one of those would be a good starting point. The 16 plate unit I'm using is about 8" x 3" x 2" and I won it on ebay for around $80. These are supposed to be significantly more efficient than the coil in a tube type heat exchanger that are more commonly used. This also drove me to use a shower head with a manifold and mixing valves in case it gets the water too hot.

There's a great spot under the hood behind the right shock tower and just in front of the heater box where this plate exchanger can mount but I did not see a real good place to mount the pump for the system. I'm also concerned that submerging the pump in mud holes and rivers may not do it a lot of good so I decided to build the pump into a Pelican 1400 case with quick disconnects for the hoses and a waterproof power port for the 12v feed to the pump. This way it can be kept on the roof rack or inside the truck until it's needed.

I bought one of the Paha Que shower tents after reading good reviews for it on Expedition Portal and I'm working on designing a collapsable support stake for the shower head out of some aluminum extrusion I had lying around. For those really remote camping spots I can just clamp the shower to the front bumper and bathe al fresco. Like I said, really, really remote sites.....

Here's a few pics of the progress so far - I'll have it at MAR if anyone wants a closer look. I was originally trying to build it cheaper than the kit setups but I'll probably wind up with about $400 in the whole setup as it's a bit over the top - as we know it's ALL about the accessories.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	14789   Click image for larger version

Name:	shower2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	14790  

Name:	shower3.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	14791   Click image for larger version

Name:	shower4.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	14792  

Name:	shower5.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	14793   Click image for larger version

Name:	shower6.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	14794  

Name:	showerbox.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	14795  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2008, 09:52 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Very, very nice... but mine is still much easier... :-)

Old August 16th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
how does the flat plat type do for heat transfer in reality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2008, 07:15 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I'll find out in a few days when all of the pieces are in place - I'm waiting on a couple of fittings I need to reroute the heater hoses through the exchanger.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions