OME upgrade advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 16th, 2005, 02:50 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
OME upgrade advice

I have been doing research on an OME upgrade for my 95 D90 SW. It is mostly a daily driver with off-roading close to once a month. I was thinking of 751/764 front/rear OME coils, and N115/N44 OME shocks. I was wondering if there was anything that I should change or watch out for when doing this upgrade.

I have done a few lift kits on Jeeps but never a 'D'. I was hoping that the above would not change the steering or driveshaft geometries too much that would require anything else.

thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolvedic
I have been doing research on an OME upgrade for my 95 D90 SW. It is mostly a daily driver with off-roading close to once a month. I was thinking of 751/764 front/rear OME coils, and N115/N44 OME shocks. I was wondering if there was anything that I should change or watch out for when doing this upgrade.

I have done a few lift kits on Jeeps but never a 'D'. I was hoping that the above would not change the steering or driveshaft geometries too much that would require anything else.
Sounds like exactly what I've got. For me it was an easy 1-man, one afternoon job in the driveway. It's pretty straight forward. I removed my swaybars at the same time and moving to the stiffer springs I noticed no real change in handling. Been running without swaybars for over a year with no problems.
Old August 16th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

You might call Bill @ GBR and discuss shock options of OME vs Bilstein. He has a lot of good information to help you choose wisely.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2005, 04:41 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Bill, I have the same exact set up on my 1997 soft top. The only thing to be aware of is you may need to purchase replacement shock mount securing rings in front as the factory bolts will fuse to the stud and break off when you try to remove. Other than that, jack up the frame as high as you can and steady with jack stands, then drop the axles (without sway bars attached of course). An afternoon of work, and miles of pleasure.

Check out www.expeditionexchange.com for the write-up on OME springs and shocks.
Old August 16th, 2005, 04:48 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

From EE you could also look into the isolator pads and their rear lowering shock mounts, all good stuff.
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:07 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Rock guys! Thanks for the info.

Bill

Follow-up Post:

how about the spring retainers EE has? think those are necessary or a good thing to have? where can I get the replacement shock mount securing rings?

bill
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:22 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
EE has the isolator replacement shock rings that are nice.... THey haev nice HD retainers if you want to run them or do you want to run Cones? Will you be wheelin the truck?
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:47 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
When we do go wheelin, it hasnt been anything hard, it is always something moderate at most. I am learning so much, I don't know what cones are?

bill
Old August 16th, 2005, 09:00 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

cones allow the top of the spring to come unseated allowing for extra articulation.
http://www.rockware.net/rover/
The EE retainers are very nice and solid. I ran without them for over a year without issue, but as you start to push the truck harder they are good to have. As it was, the OEM ones I had were bent from the stress of the wheeling I had been doing.
If you decide to run with cones you will have to get longer shocks and new higher shock mounts too. My advice, stick with a simple suspension for now, get some time in with the truck and then start playing around with different set-ups once you get bored and want to run harder trail.
Welcome to the site and defender ownership.
Old August 16th, 2005, 09:25 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I just ordered the EE spring retainers today - I run Bilstein shocks that have longer than stock travel and have seen the spring come out of the upper mount and get wedged over when the axle drops. I don't like all the banging, clanging and popping noises that are associated with running cones so I'm looking forward yo installing the retainers.
Old August 16th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

It is now official, we have run out of things to talk about. The d-90 site is now closed untill further notice. For those of you interested in technical information, the SEARCH button will still be operational. That is all.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 16th, 2005, 11:08 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Since we are obviously moving into "search" territory instead of a back and forth discussion for the sake of talking about D90's, I will just say big thanks to you guys everyone's advice and experience. It has made the process easier. You guys have made me feel welcome.

Bill
1995 D90 SW 339/500

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions