OME Suspension Upgrade - Question about rear sprongs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 1st, 2010, 03:38 PM
DNinety
JP
1984 Ninety 200TDI

OME Suspension Upgrade - Question about rear sprongs

I have a 1984 RHD (200 TDI) ST - with approximately 1.3 billion miles on it. It lists EVER SO SLIGHTLY to the to the right. I mostly drive in the city, so I value a somewhat comfortable city ride, but actually driving on the streets of Chicago is somewhat like driving off-road. I also plan to do several wheeling trips per year.

Front Suspension: I recently acquired a custom front winch bumper (similar to ARB- see pic), as well as a skid plate and have determined that I could likely use a suspension upgrade and decided to go OME. I'm thinking OME Front HD (751) would be best. But if anyone has a different idea, I am open to suggestion. Note that a winch purchase may be in my future.

Rear Suspension: I added a NAS step bumper, and will likely mount a Mantec tire carrier and 33" tire. My real question is what rear setup should I opt for? The Medium Duty (764), the Medium/Heavy Duty (781), or the HD (762). I don't really think I'll be carrying cargo much, so the weight will primarily be the rear carrier & tire.

I searched a lot of threads and found some valuable info, but nothing seemed to address this specifically, sorry in advance if I missed something (and also for the long post).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00025-20100827-1806.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	32684  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2010, 03:42 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Put the stock rear springs in the front and 764s in the back.

Keep in mind this makes things stiffer. They are lift springs, not comfort springs...
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm considering replacing the suspension on my D90. I have HD OME's in both front and rear. Due to the HD in the rear I have a bit of the hot rod look where the back is raised more so than the front. I also have a substantial lean towards the left rear, about 1.5" difference which I haven't been able to figure out. I have a Mantec spare carrier and currently 300-400lbs in the load space but it still leans and I still have a slight hot rod look. This makes me think I should replace it all and start fresh.

ARB (OME) and others here suggest HD in the front (if you have an ARB Bumper, winch, etc) and Medium Duty in the rear. This definitely seems to makes sense. My only fear of going Medium Duty in the rear is that when I load up for a road trip and add a roof top tent that it will start sagging. Is this likely?

How difficult is it to replace shocks and springs if you're a relative beginner? Springs seem pretty straightforward, how about shocks? How long does the springs and shocks last before they need replacing? Mine are about 6 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2010, 01:19 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
I have a 1995 SW, I put the OME HD's in the front (I have a winch bumper and winch installed) and the OME MD 764 springs in the rear. I have been very happy with the ride on and off road and the performace off road. I always have tools and winching gear along with a Mantec Tire Carrier and 33 inch tire (285-75-16) on board.

When we have gone on weekend camping trips with too much gear, the rig still sits level and does not feel over loaded. I would recommend this set up to everyone unless they carry a lot of weight all the time.

With your soft top I know you would be happy with this set up.
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Sounds good. I have a hardtop with 4 folding seats in the back but it shouldn't make too much of a difference, right?

------ Follow up post added December 8th, 2010 01:57 PM ------

Aside from shocks and springs, what other parts are needed? 8 shock rubber bushings? Washers? Anything else needed? Does anyone recommend upgrading the spring mounts?
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
Carl, this set up should work great for you too.

Right now I have mine configured with 2 jumps seats in the rear, my winching gear, tools, a portable compressor, shovel and ax, and in the attached picture a cooler, two gear bags and a dog. As you can see it sits just right.

I have even towed a trailer loaded with fire wood with good success.

I went with the MD rear over HD rear to keep the ride less stiff and so the rear axle would move more easily when articulating off road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Defender snow 2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	33860  
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Gardner
Gardner Congdon
'84 RHD D90 300Tdi

Suspension upgrades

Hey Carl-
Shocks and springs were pretty easy for a newcomer to Land Rovers like myself. I did my '84 ROW SW- OME MDs all around. The only challenge I had were the gas filled shocks up front wanted to expand fully while I was bolting everything back together- someone on the list here recommended compressing things with ratchet straps and everything went super smooth after that.

Regarding the spring mounts- I'd prolly just inspect everything when you do the work and upgrade if anything seems rotten. Beats the hell out of trying to find someone to fabricate one from scratch in the middle of a cross country drive (lower/axel shock mount rear). Yes, I know this from experience, but actually met some great Land Rover guys outside Cleveland because of this

Saw back in one of the other posts about listing to one side. IIRC the OME springs are "sided"- put the left spring on the left side, etc. My '84 arived listing slightly, but the OMEs set things level.

-Gardner
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:23 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I find even MD OME springs are too stiff for the rear if you do not carry a ton of gear. I have MD 761's up front and RRC police spec springs in the rear, long 170lb/inch springs that ride beautifully and are nice and supple off road. My truck probably weighs less than most 90's though, 3800 lbs. or so.
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:41 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
I'm running ome HD all around. Took the advice given by a few members here for my setup.
HDs for better control if running without swaybars.

No complaints, but I still drive conservatively at highway speeds.
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:11 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90 View Post
I'm running ome HD all around. Took the advice given by a few members here for my setup.
HDs for better control if running without swaybars.

No complaints, but I still drive conservatively at highway speeds.

With HDs all around, do you have the raked "hot rod" look or does the vehicle sit evenly?
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:29 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
With HDs all around, do you have the raked "hot rod" look or does the vehicle sit evenly?

I have a slight forward lean but not too bad. Eventually getting a rear tire carrier bumper combo so it will probably level out more.
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

According to OME/ARB (I have been talking to them about this), you and I do not have the correct set up for our application. HD in the rear is only meant for a minimum of 440lbs (or more) of constant weight... at all times. You may like it stiff (insert joke here) but its not the correct application because the springs/shocks aren't compressing at all. The tire carrier and bumper will make a nominal difference.

ARB said unless you're planning on making it an armored expedition D90 with full kitchen, tent, etc, then you're better off with Medium springs in the rear on a D90. Front is different due to engine weight, ARB bumper and winch. I'm starting to think that they are correct, I just wanted to hear from you guys. Seems like even when fully loaded, Medium will do just fine.

I removed my sway bars recently and I actually prefer the articulation even on the road. I do not drive conservatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90

I have a slight forward lean but not too bad. Eventually getting a rear tire carrier bumper combo so it will probably level out more.
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:20 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I currently run OME MD front and rear on my '94 ST w/ ARB bumper. It has a little bit of the hot rod rake and I am planning to mount a Warn 8274 in the coming month so I purchased a complete set of OME HD springs. That being said, my plan is to install the 751's on the front first before determining the need for a change in the rear. I will post up some pics and more details when I get to the install but that probably won't be for another couple of weeks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions