OME Suspension/Spring "A" and "B" handing question. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 16th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Daringer
Darin Gardner
1997 D90 SW

Exclamation OME Suspension/Spring "A" and "B" handing question.

Just in installed a new OME Suspension on my 1995 D-90 ST.

2751 HD Front springs, 60037 shocks
2764 MD Rear springs, 60038 shocks.

Problem: After installation done my local reputable shop. The truck is most definitely sitting high in passenger rear side and does not sit "level" left to right. The front may even be off level right to left a bit as well, but not as noticeable.

The OME Springs are labeled "A" and "B"

My understanding is "A" is for Drivers side and " B" is for passenger side, "A" being a bit longer than "B".

My local shop installed them:

Front: "A" Drivers "B" passengers

Rear "B" Drivers "A" passengers

Called ARB direct. Their tech indicated that this was correct. I inquired if this would be different for a D-90 than other Trucks they advise on and they had no input or direct knowledge about Defenders.

I know this suspension talk has been extensively covered here but I could not find any threads that address the handing and specifically the labeling of the springs as "A" and "B"

It would be great to know from those who have been here before what the truth is about the handing on OME springs.

I just replaced a Terra firma suspension and they were definitely labeled "DS" and "PS" and installed on my truck "sided" and had no leveling issues previously.

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2012, 07:56 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I installed my springs in the same fashion as you described but in the end had to install isolators (one in the front and one in the rear) to correct the listing of the truck.

I went with the rubber LR ones
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ca...1&cat=0&page=1

but OME also makes one
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ca...8&cat=0&page=1

I believe several vendors sell these, I just pulled up EE as I knew they had them.
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Why not flip flop the siding of the springs and see what that does? Even if you just do the rear that should give you a quick indication of what's wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Keep in mind they design the springs that way with the weight of the driver in the drivers seat and a full tank of gas. I think they also designed them as RHD. This is one reason manufactures like RTE make the same springs and do not hand them. Some distributors will sell the OME's so that you will get all "A" or all "B" sets. I guess they are not doing it any more?
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:59 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958 View Post
Some distributors will sell the OME's so that you will get all "A" or all "B" sets. I guess they are not doing it any more?
Great Basin Rovers still sells their OME springs like that (i.e., not handed).
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Daringer
Darin Gardner
1997 D90 SW

Thanks for the input. In hindsight I wish I would have ordered the springs non handed so I would not be obsessing over the differences in height on the truck.

I will be changing the springs back to AA and BB sided to see if that corrects the issue.

I still think it's strange that ARB labels the springs A and B for Handing the springs, but suggests reversing the handing on installation? Just seems to create more doubt.
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I had a severe lean to one side before installing my new OME's so I decided to go against ARB's recommendation and install the new springs in order to get maximum correction. It worked. It is now completely level side to side and slightly higher in the rear when unloaded.
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Reversing is because you have a LHD truck with a fuel tank in the back so it is only the weight of the driver extra on the drivers side. On a RHD rest of world truck the tank and the driver are on the same side so it will list with balanced springs.
Old January 18th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Daringer
Darin Gardner
1997 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I had a severe lean to one side before installing my new OME's so I decided to go against ARB's recommendation and install the new springs in order to get maximum correction. It worked. It is now completely level side to side and slightly higher in the rear when unloaded.
Carl,

To confirm, you set yours up?:

Front A A

Rear B B

Is that correct?
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I can't quite remember but I will check the labels on the springs and let you know. I did not do it diagonally. I had both A's on one side. The old springs were also OME's and I had a sag to one side which is why I decided to ignore the recommendation.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions