OME Suspension Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 31st, 2011, 11:49 AM
NC Rover
Nick
1971 Series IIa Hybrid

OME Suspension Question

Hey Guys,

Question for you D90 experts. I have a Series IIa sitting on a galvy Defender chassis w/ D90 axles, LT77 tranny and LT230 xfer case. So obviously its a coil setup (stock D90 springs/shocks). The springs began to sag over the years so I decided to upgrade to the Old Man Emu Front and Rear Medium Duty springs (OME761 & OME764) after a lot of research and recommendations.

I kept the original D90 shocks as they did not seem to be worn out. The original ride with the D90 stock springs was very soft and absorbed the bumps really nicely. It almost felt like the rover "melted" over the bumps...absorbing everything along the way. I heard so many great things about the OME springs and decided to upgrade.

After the OME spring install, I noticed that the ride is very stiff and bouncy. Running over the smallest dips/potholes in my dirt road feels like I'd riding in a lowered honda civic with coilovers....its rough. I hit one small divot in the road (doing 10mph) and the front banged so hard that the whole dash area vibrated. I've never experienced this before. I love the ride height. The original D90 springs raised it 2" and the OME springs brought it up to 2.5"...probably due to the worn out D90 springs. I even installed the Rubberized front shock tower securing ring and the rear rubberized spring isolators.

So my question is, being that my rig is not that heavy (2.5L engine/LT77/LT230.....no rack/no winch/heavy gear/etc.), do you think this is a shock issue? Do I need a more firm shock to take care of the rebound from a more firm spring? Or does it seem that the springs are just too stiff for my setup?

I did a lot of research on this and the OME spring setup seemed to be highly recommended by a multitude of D90 and Series guys. I'm just trying to see if anyone else experienced the increased rough ride? Recommendations? Suggestions?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...r/IMAG0113.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...r/IMAG0062.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...r/IMAG0068.jpg

thanks!
Nick
Wilmington, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2011, 01:56 PM
Gardner
Gardner Congdon
'84 RHD D90 300Tdi

springs

Hey Nick-
I'm running the same springs in my '84 90 300Tdi. They were stiffer than I expected, but either I've gotten used to them or they've loosened up a little with use, or both. In any case, I'm pretty happy with the ride now and if it gets a little softer when I add the full exo cage, so be it. It sounds like if you liked the old ride you could put the old springs back in with some spacers and get the ride height you want too.

I've got family in Wilmington- hope I see your rig around next time I'm down there

-Gardner
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I always thought my Defender rode like shit even stock, i swapped to the OME's 751/764 still rode shitty. I went to 255's and it seems to ride better now, they are a D load tire
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2011, 04:17 PM
NC Rover
Nick
1971 Series IIa Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner View Post
Hey Nick-
I'm running the same springs in my '84 90 300Tdi. They were stiffer than I expected, but either I've gotten used to them or they've loosened up a little with use, or both. In any case, I'm pretty happy with the ride now and if it gets a little softer when I add the full exo cage, so be it. It sounds like if you liked the old ride you could put the old springs back in with some spacers and get the ride height you want too.

I've got family in Wilmington- hope I see your rig around next time I'm down there

-Gardner
Thanks Gardner,

Yeah its not that I want to go back to the old springs...I guess I just was not expecting such a drastic difference. Even with some light off-roading.....its pretty brutal as far as comfort....very bouncy and the rebound after quick potholes is awful. I'm pretty bummed out about it. I'm going to give it some time and see if they "break in" so to speak. Otherwise, I may have to go back to stock D90 front springs.

Let me know anytime you head to Wilmlington. I'd love to shoot the breeze with some rover guys.

------ Follow up post added January 31st, 2011 04:18 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
I always thought my Defender rode like shit even stock, i swapped to the OME's 751/764 still rode shitty. I went to 255's and it seems to ride better now, they are a D load tire
I know its definitly not my wheels...I've been running 33 x 9.50 x 15 for the past 3 years with no problems. As soon as the OME springs went on, it instantly felt like I had no shocks at all.
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:40 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Try less psi in your tires. That may soften the ride a little.
Old January 31st, 2011, 08:16 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The OME will be stiffer than the old stock set up. You can go back to a stock spring and add a spacer to get the same ride height if you like, or go to a progressive spring in the front. The difference is outstanding, much softer. RTE makes a 3" progressive but not a 2". You can also shop on Ebay UK and find a set of factory Progressive. NRC8044, NRC8045. These will be the same static height as a stock D90 but carry more load thus giving you a small lift but a Cady like ride.
The OME's have a rate of 200 Lb/inch. the factory progressives have 155/215 Lb/inch.
However before I would spend more money and time on springs I would get new shocks. When you replaced the springs did you play with the shocks to see if you could collapse them and how hard/easy it was? I would bet that new shocks would help.
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:05 PM
NC Rover
Nick
1971 Series IIa Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958 View Post
The OME will be stiffer than the old stock set up. You can go back to a stock spring and add a spacer to get the same ride height if you like, or go to a progressive spring in the front. The difference is outstanding, much softer. RTE makes a 3" progressive but not a 2". You can also shop on Ebay UK and find a set of factory Progressive. NRC8044, NRC8045. These will be the same static height as a stock D90 but carry more load thus giving you a small lift but a Cady like ride.
The OME's have a rate of 200 Lb/inch. the factory progressives have 155/215 Lb/inch.
However before I would spend more money and time on springs I would get new shocks. When you replaced the springs did you play with the shocks to see if you could collapse them and how hard/easy it was? I would bet that new shocks would help.
Excellent info. To answer your question, yes we did try to collapse the shocks.....they were pretty hard to expand/contract ...they felt like they were still really good.

I may look for some progressive springs for the front. Any idea what to look for as far as D90 front springs?

Would these work?

http://www.paddockspares.com/scp/NEW...l_Springs.html
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:22 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
I had similar problem with mine. Heavies up front with mediums in rear. Cannot remember the shocks off the top of my head but switched to the softest rear shock OME makes for these and it improved the ride drastically. Not sure it will work for you but it might be worth the try - of course I got the shocks for free so it was an easy try for me. Just added a winch bumper Saturday (winch to be installed this weekend) and it improved even more.
Good luck.
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:54 AM
Capt Milks
Mike

I do not know of anybody over here that has used the britpart springs. They look like progressive but do not mention that they are or give specifications that they are. I would go along with Andrew's recommendation on the shock. Otherwise you have only a few choices. The RTE 3" springs gave my D90 with the 300 Tdi about a 2" lift in the front. I used a medium 2" rear shock from them. The truck with a winch bumper sits level. The ride is very smooth. Better than the standard OME or RTE springs. I have a set of the Factory Progressives on the 110 I am building. The specifications tell me that it should ride higher than a regular stock spring. You can use these on the front of the D90.
With all that said I still think I would try the new shocks first. Plus the new shocks will give you a little more articulation. If the shocks do not satisfy you then you can try a different front spring and sell the OME.
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:21 PM
NC Rover
Nick
1971 Series IIa Hybrid

Quote:
I do not know of anybody over here that has used the britpart springs. They look like progressive but do not mention that they are or give specifications that they are. I would go along with Andrew's recommendation on the shock. Otherwise you have only a few choices. The RTE 3" springs gave my D90 with the 300 Tdi about a 2" lift in the front. I used a medium 2" rear shock from them. The truck with a winch bumper sits level. The ride is very smooth. Better than the standard OME or RTE springs. I have a set of the Factory Progressives on the 110 I am building. The specifications tell me that it should ride higher than a regular stock spring. You can use these on the front of the D90.
With all that said I still think I would try the new shocks first. Plus the new shocks will give you a little more articulation. If the shocks do not satisfy you then you can try a different front spring and sell the OME.

Thanks everyone. All great information. I'm going to try the new shocks first...I'm sure its time to replace them anyway. Any recommendations as to whether I should go with Bilstein or OME shocks?

I will be driving up to Rovertyme to get them to cut/reweld my frame crossmember to make room for my front driveshaft as its barely clearing now. Think I'm going to pick up a few extra items while I'm up there as its a 2 hr drive from me.
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:35 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Springs are the issue.

I am still waiting for someone to come to my house to swap my OME HD springs out for stock D90 ones.
Old February 1st, 2011, 01:17 PM
Capt Milks
Mike

Isn't that cross member a bolt on piece?
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:08 PM
NC Rover
Nick
1971 Series IIa Hybrid

Quote:
Isn't that cross member a bolt on piece?
No its welded in as part of the frame. (see pic below). Frame was one of the first LHD glavy frames offered by Arrow industries back in the mid 90's.....

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...r/IMG_7170.jpg
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Totally hijacking an old thread...but my question is similar.

I'm looking to match up my existing ride height, and need to replace my springs. Currently the springs I have are: factory NRC8044/NRC8045 in the front and factory RKB101111 in the rear (spring specs shown here - http://rovers.red90.ca/springinfo.html). Truck is a 110, tdi, no cage, and just a factory bumper on the front (no winch/etc).

The issue is, currently my truck sits at 6'8" on the nose - my garage height is 6'9", so I need to match up within a very tight tolerance (I know, I know...the solution is get a bigger garage door - eventually I will).

I've been considering OME761/755s in the front/rear. Also have thought about the 751 HD springs in the front...heard I should use these on a Tdi?

Also have considered 764s in the rear - can they be used, or are those for 90s only?

Anyone know what any of the above combinations will do to a factory ride height?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions