OME suspension - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:24 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

OME suspension

hey fellas..

with my new OME suspension, is it ok if i use my stock rims and tires for now?? will it sit "funny"?
reason is, i still have some good amount of tread.....wanna wear em out some...

thanks,

-dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:25 PM
javelinadave
-
-

It will look fine. It will just take a few glances to get use to it.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:15 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

My truck has OME HD in front, MD in rear, shocks all around. This pick is how it looks on stock rims ...

http://www.pangea-systems.com/jas/tr...4/IMG_0120.JPG
http://www.pangea-systems.com/jas/tr...4/IMG_0062.JPG
http://www.pangea-systems.com/jas/tr...4/IMG_0208.JPG

I also have the rubberized upper spring seat isolator inserts from Expedition Exchange, which raises it a smidge more. I do notice that it sits very slightly lower in back & I might put the inserts on the bottom in the rear (if they make a rear/bottom insert). If I add a winch, though, it will probably sit level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:52 AM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

hey fellas!
thanks! good to know!

nice pics! thanks a bunch!

now, what tire size should i go? i just wanna keep the stock rims....but since i should have about 2" more clearance, do you guys recommend any tire sizes for me?? mostly city......will do off-road about 2x/year. will it affect gas mileage by a lot??

thanks!
-dan

Follow-up Post:

ps> will the ride be much more bumpier?? or just plain more solid??

gracias..

-dan
Old February 23rd, 2005, 06:41 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Here's my Defender when it was wearing the stock rims with 285/75 BFG's. It's a 33" tire. OME HD front/MD rear. You'll notice a difference in acceleration, but your (theoretical) top speed will be higher. I say theoretical, because it's a Defender. The tires fit without rubbing on mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	2619  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:20 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

I believe the 255 / 85 R16 BFG MT's are really closer to 33" than the 285's. I have a set of each and the 255's are clearly a taller and skinnier tire. The bottom line is the 255 85s I run (with OME HD front and MD rear) give a nice clean look without being overdone. Fine on the highway and around town and plenty of clearance offroad. About the maximum you'd want to go without regearing I think.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:56 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

According to BFG, the 255's are less than a quarter inch larger in diameter, and have a 1.5" thinner cross section. Both have the same tread depth (19/32"). Since that is pretty much the same height when you put the 3500 lbs truck on them, and you can save yourself $200 by getting five of the 255's, you may want to go that route. I have the 285's on wider than stock rims now and like the wider footprint, but I'll be going with Swampers when these wear out. Also I use Goodyear MT/R 265/75R16's on the stock rims for on the road and they are noisier on my truck than the BFG's are. Not that the BFG's are quiet

Also, I think you went with an ARB front bumper and OME HD springs, right? If you put on "HD" springs in the back and don't carry a lot of weight back there, you'll feel the ride stiffen. Neither is unbearable, but it does change the feel a little. Land Rover put on heavier duty springs anyway to import them and bypass the import SUV tax (That's why our gross vehicle weight is slightly above 6000 lbs.) so the ride isn't as "nice" as other parts of the world. So I've heard.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:11 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronward
I believe the 255 / 85 R16 BFG MT's are really closer to 33" than the 285's.
BFG website specs 255 and 285 at 625 and 628 revolutions/mile respectively. I'd say they are essentially the same size diameter wise, around 33" as I recall from the calculations I did.
-scott
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:39 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

I stand corrected. Still, I much prefer the 255 over the 285's "doughnut" look. I run the 285s on my F250 diesel and they look puny!
Old February 23rd, 2005, 03:14 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

great points well taken....

i think i'll be happy with the OME conversion.....the tires...will look into those sizes...

can't thank you all enough...

love this site,

-dan
Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:07 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Contact John Lee at www.expeditionexchange.com for more detail on the OME springs and spring rates for your application. I for one found their site to be a big help when I was upgreading my 90.

Good luck with it!
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:01 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I have the 255/85's and wouldn't go with anything else (my opinion). I spent a lot of time looking into the on/off road ability of a lot of tires in the 33"-34" range. I have an OME lift using 751 in the front and 764 in the rear. I also have a Husky 10k winch, full exterior roll bar as well as custom metal storage boxes in the back (about 50lb ea). I have good amount of space for the tire to tuck and sits level and rides well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1629.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	2621  
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:21 AM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

looks great, dave! and thanks for the input too, ron...

i hope to get those 255's as well....looks perfect on your rig...

-dan
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:24 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

I know with fat tires its 'easier' to air down (like for snow). With the skinnier tires, how low do you folks air down? What terrain? Or do you run at full pressure?
-scott
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:25 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Now you started the debate on airing down and/or wide vs. skinny tires for snow. Some (like myself) feel strongly that a thinner tire is better for snow. you want the tire to dig into the snow, they way you obtain traction is through the snow sticking to snow. A wider tire is going to give you more float and more rubber contact, rubber isn't going to give you traction in snow; hence slicks are not good as a winter tire. A winter tire has lots of small tread foot prints with lots of groves for adhesion. The only time I would like a wider tire (personally) is for sand, the wider the better, the more float the better.
Anyway in answer to your question (sorry, for the ranting) for sand and rock 18psi in the front and 18-22psi in the rear, snow 35-40psi and 10" wide tire.
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:19 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

In snow on the road you want as skinny a tire as you can. The BFG's don't have really good compound for snow and ice (they slip). I change to the (thinner) Goodyear's for winter on-road driving. In Colorado we ran studded 205R16 Nokian Hakkepellita's on the Disco and even though the tire is really thin for that truck and you had to run a higher pressure, the truck steered as if it were on rails through 16" on snow on the road.

Off road you want chains

PS Dan if it snows in Long Beach you'd probably just stay home, right?
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:48 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

The sites that I have seen in Iceland have extremely large and wide tires on their 4X4's. Check out this: http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/mud_gallery.html

If your tires are thin then they dig down and the more chance of you undercarraige dragging which we all know is nogood. As is so often said on this site - Just my .02 worth. But I'll bet it adds up when the folks from the snow covered areas start to chime in. Or maybe tey agree with you. I would be interested in hearing more thoughts on this.
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:57 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Mike, for off-road driving, I'd go for a large fat tire for the clearance and floatation in both mud and snow. On the road, however, you want your tire to dig down to the pavement, hence the narrower studded tires. The guys that run on ice use spiked tires that are really wide to increase their traction surface area.

It's funny how Land Rover owners prefer narrow tires for off road use. It's a big can of worms. I've been on "snow-wheeling" trips with both LR's and Jeeps, and there were spots where the Jeeps with their light weight and fat tires drove over the snow, and the heavy Range Rovers with their Camel trophy tires dug themselves down to the frame. I've heard us say that our coil springs allow us to run narrower tires, also, but all the custom-built 4wd buggies in Moab have coils with huge travel and big fat tires. Go figure.

Tall tires look less like Bubba's truck, though
Old February 25th, 2005, 06:52 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

On the road skinny tires make sense. Good snow traction is a plus and I've heard the Nokians rock here. Typically there is packed snow or its not very deep. OTOH on the trail, you are more apt to run into deep snow (depends on where you are of course). When in the pnw, we would go up into the cascades and drive on 4' snow no problem. Skinny tire here is going to be disasterous.
Depends on what and where you are wheeling snow. IMHO.
-scott
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:37 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

got it!
thanks fellas! and yeah, if it snows in Long Beach, we're so screwed! we can't even handle the rain! (going skiing at snow summit)...

thanks..

ps> have a great weekend all!

-dan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions