OME Spring suggestions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 19th, 2013, 04:31 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
OME Spring suggestions

I have searched threads and found a number of discussions regarding OME springs - but none have precisely answered my question...

I am looking for the proper OME springs for my vehicle's weight/use -- I'm sure there is someone out there with a similar setup that has input.

My truck, post upgrades finished this month:

1986 110 SW (5 Door)
255/85r16
Exo-cage, welded, similar to exo SD cage (ala NAS110)
ARB bumper w/ winch and most likely steel cable
2.5 N/A
Full-size tuffy
Custom rear bumper/swing away carrier/jerry can holder/hi-lift holder
full size spare mounted ^
2x jerry cans mounted ^
Hi-lift mounted ^
1-4 passengers

My truck will be taken off-road, but not with a great deal of regularity due to work. It will be driven on roads daily.

----------------------------

I'm not sure if this is 'heavily laden' or not. Methinks it is.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2013, 06:52 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Get the normal heavy duty set up. It lift the vehicle of 1-1 1/2 inch and is firmer than stock. With a bit of load (400-500lbs) the handling is superb. Without load it's a bit firm but not rock hard.
Mine's a 110 with roof rack and roof tent. Spare parts and tools in the back and it is fun to ride. With a load of fire wood it is sitting nicely and can cope with rough terrain.
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I have TerraFirma +2 springs, so OME is obviously different. With that said, I have a similar set up as you on my 110 (bumper, winch, cage, 2 spares, etc) I originally had MD all the way around but had to switch out to HD up front and it rides much better as the MD springs were always compressed due to the weight up front. I still have the MD in back which is fine 95% of the time but will would go HD if and when I do an extended trip (more shit in back).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You need to let us know what YOU want from the new springs.

Lift? How much? and why.
Comfort or firmer for the road?
Better off road?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:38 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Thank for the input so far.

To answer your questions:

- I require only enough lift to provide additional clearance for 255/85r16 and slight improvement of approach/departure angles... there is no 'aesthetic' or 'cosmetic' goal to the lift. Solely function.

- I prefer a more comfortable ride. The truck is painful enough to ride in as it is... that is why I am trying to make sure I have the right spring rate selected. Safety is also a concern... I don't want to make this vehicle much more prone to rollover than it already is.

Old December 19th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm fond of 764's in front. With the additional weight etc up front they will give you about 2 inch lift from stock. Combined with 755's in the rear/ or rovers HD rears the truck sits level and drives well.

FWIW I don't think you need any lift for 255/85's although many trucks sag in the front over time

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Thank for the input so far.

To answer your questions:

- I require only enough lift to provide additional clearance for 255/85r16 and slight improvement of approach/departure angles... there is no 'aesthetic' or 'cosmetic' goal to the lift. Solely function.

- I prefer a more comfortable ride. The truck is painful enough to ride in as it is... that is why I am trying to make sure I have the right spring rate selected. Safety is also a concern... I don't want to make this vehicle much more prone to rollover than it already is.
Spring lifts do not affect tire clearance. All that they do is change ride height. Wheel travel is not affected. In addition, 255s fit with no modifications.

All OME spring lifts will make it ride firmer, not softer. The springs are meant for more load and they are stiffer than stock.

Old December 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I have a similar setup as you Dave. 255 85 tires. Winch and heavy bumper up front, rear bumper and swing away tire carrier on rear with hi lift, one jerry can in load space. Main difference is full length roof rack with tent and awning, probably comparable to exo cage.

I went with terra firma medium +2 springs. When I ordered them they told me that the HD were pretty rough unless the truck was heavily laden most of the time. I haven't wheeled since adding the winch and rack with tent but around town the ride seems nice. Not sure how that compares to OME, but I'm just saying that I've been happy so far
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:28 AM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Spring lifts do not affect tire clearance. All that they do is change ride height. Wheel travel is not affected. In addition, 255s fit with no modifications.

All OME spring lifts will make it ride firmer, not softer. The springs are meant for more load and they are stiffer than stock.
I don't agree with this except that 255s will fit with no change to your suspension.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
I don't agree with this except that 255s will fit with no change to your suspension.
Please explain what I have stated that is not correct.

Old December 19th, 2013, 10:47 AM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Quote:
Please explain what I have stated that is not correct.
+2" springs will raise your truck and give 2" more spring compression/wheel well clearance. Am I missing something?

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
+2" springs will raise your truck and give 2" more spring compression/wheel well clearance. Am I missing something?
The wheel travel is limited by the bump stops in compression. The springs make it harder to compress, but the wheel can still move as far. The springs do not and should not limit wheel travel. If you want to limit compression travel, then install longer bump stops.

Old December 19th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
IMO, there are no great solutions available for a 110...

Standard 90 rears in the front should be a decent choice for the extra weight. One of the lighter OME rears depending on how much you want to carry in the back, or the lightest one with airlift bags to take loads. Pure air springs are the best for the rear, but nobody is doing a kit, so you need to be able to build custom bits yourself.

Old December 19th, 2013, 11:30 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
The wheel travel is limited by the bump stops in compression. The springs make it harder to compress, but the wheel can still move as far. The springs do not and should not limit wheel travel. If you want to limit compression travel, then install longer bump stops.
This. The 255s will stuff up into a Defender wheel-well nicely so you shouldn't even need to cut the flares. I think you can even use the stock bump stops with them but I would give a driveway twist check to make sure before going on trail.

------ Follow up post added December 19th, 2013 11:34 AM ------

For springs I just got in some genuine LR HD's. The fronts have very close specs to the OME 764's. Like Red said the rears are going to be tough to get dialed. The stock HD 110's have a pretty stiff spring rate but so does many of the others. Luckily, rear springs can be swapped quick and easy so I am sure I will messing around with them.
Old December 19th, 2013, 11:38 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
For springs I just got in some genuine LR HD's. The fronts have very close specs to the OME 764's. Like Red said the rears are going to be tough to get dialed. The stock HD 110's have a pretty stiff spring rate but so does many of the others. Luckily, rear springs can be swapped quick and easy so I am sure I will messing around with them.
Specifics? Where'd you source them (for the fronts)?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 19th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
110 HD front springs are normal 90 rear springs (NRC9448/9). Usually free/beer cost from your closest enthusiast. Or, if you like to spend money, buy some.

http://www.red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html

Old December 19th, 2013, 01:02 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
110 HD front springs are normal 90 rear springs (NRC9448/9). Usually free/beer cost from your closest enthusiast. Or, if you like to spend money, buy some. http://www.red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html
And someone just posted some up for $50 in the classifieds. I got a complete new set from Zack @ Rovers North as I have been stripping rust, priming, and painting shit more than installing it and kinda tired of it. His price for the set was not much more than getting free ones and having my powdercoater refinish them.
Old December 19th, 2013, 03:45 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
110 HD front springs are normal 90 rear springs (NRC9448/9). Usually free/beer cost from your closest enthusiast. Or, if you like to spend money, buy some. http://www.red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html
Interesting. According to your list the standard 110 fronts are disco rears. Lots of over lap in the parts bin I guess.
Old December 19th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
I've got a set of D1 rear springs in good shape collecting dust. Let me know if you're interested
Old December 19th, 2013, 04:22 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Actually according to microcat those part numbers don't apply to disco.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions