OME spring settle? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 13th, 2005, 12:06 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
OME spring settle?

I swapped my stock springs and shocks for OME HD in the front and medium duty in the rear and OME shocks and now my D has a visible tilt to the rear. I have an ARB bumper, xd9000 winch, hi-lift and some hefty recover points mounted on the front and so I put the HD springs in. My question is will these springs eventually settle?

I really don't like the tilt and wondering if I should just wait ti out or try other springs to level it out. I know on the jeep spring swaps I have done the springs eventually settle and you lose a bit of the lift you got out of them. I haven't measured the actual distance that the rear is lower but like I said it is definitely visible.

thanks,
Bill
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2005, 12:21 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

I didn't notice any settling with my springs. could it be that you installed a left spring on the right side and visa versa? Also, the springs tilt a little bit at the base and top. You should make sure that they're matched, side to side.
Old September 13th, 2005, 01:10 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

First, what numbers for the springs? You have a SW so perhaps you should have put HD in the rear. That's what Matt from Rockware recommended for my setup. I don't know the added weight of the hardtop but that was his reasoning. I have HD 751/762 (f/r) and no settling yet. ARB and winch as well.

The ride may be a tad rough at times (even with the Ranchos set to soft), which always made me think I should have MD in the rear but what's done is done. I keep wanting that RR ride out of the 90. I'll just shoot for it on the 110!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2005, 01:35 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
I have 751 in the front and the 764 in the rear. So, maybe I should have gone with the 762's...

bill

Follow-up Post:

I guess I should have been more clear in that I was wondering if the fronts would come down the small amount to level it out. But not settling is pretty clear.

thanks,
Bill
Old September 13th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I had OME springs for 4 years and specifically measured them. There was zero settling.

IMHO, 762s are way too stiff unless you carry a lot of stuff. I would also think 751s are too stiff, but that may just be me. If it were me, I'd change to 761s in the front. I guess it depends on what YOU think of the current spring rates.
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:51 PM
redrover

The spring rates between the 764 and 751 are very close. I have seen many defenders with this combo and they all sat flat or just a little stinkbugged due to bumper winch weight. Double check that the 751 went to front. Also spacers are cheep, ask around for a set. JP
Old September 13th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

I just put in this same set up 751 and 764 like three days ago. The rear is actually 1/2 inch higher than the front, I measured the distance before and after I did the swap. I have an ARB and warn 9000 on the front too. I think you may have put the springs in backwards.
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:14 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I too have the same set up. I've had mine in for a year now, they have gotten any lower, but I added many things to the truck so it's hard to tell what the real cause was. They definitely get softer, more flex. When I first put them in and would go over a speed bump I felt as if I had been punched in the kidneys. Measure the distance from the center of the wheel straight up to the edge of the fender flare. This is a good way to see how much difference in height there is. Don't just measure front to rear, but also check side to side. This way you'll really see what is going on. Make sure that your springs are properly seated, you can also try rotating the spring, since it a coil you may want to place the starting point else where, that may help too. Placing the rear spring in the front is going to raise the front an inch, I can't see that solving it. If you put the front spring in the rear you'll loose an inch, now the front will be 2" higher than the rear.
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:27 AM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
I will check that stuff and give an update. Thanks guys.

Bill
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
They definitely get softer, more flex. When I first put them in and would go over a speed bump I felt as if I had been punched in the kidneys.
I seriously doubt this has anything to do with the springs. Spring rate can not change. It is technically impossible. Most likely your shocks are dying or have died or you have added a lot more weight.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:54 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
ok, so I forgot to follow-up but with the other thread about OME upgrades it reminded me. In our haste installing the new springs, we did swap the springs front to back. We swapped them and now it sits level but there is a slight lean to one side.

We looked at the springs, set them next to each other and compared them. Neither was longer or canted one way or the other that we could see, so my question is: are there really differences in right to left for the OME?

bill
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:27 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
There should be a small difference. The driver's side spring was set to sit a little higher than the passenger side to accomodate a driver sitting in the car alone.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:35 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
ive had the same leaning disappointment with my POE. what i've been told is that NAS 90's are not balanced the same as the rest of the world so we basically have to deal with the lean. funny thing is that i sold my POE recently and switiched the springs over to a 97SW and this truck is not leaning. go figure.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:57 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I don't buy the NAS thing, sounds like someone was blowing smoke. I have had many recent issues with my set-up, in fact I had a 1" lean from driver side to passenger side. I took the springs off and swapped them left to right, this leveled out the truck. If you don't notice a height difference between the 2 springs, you probably have a matched set. The defender is the only vehicle that an unmatched set is recommended for. Where did you get the springs from? Try calling them and see if you can send it back for an un paired set. The height difference is about 1/4" in between the 2 springs. You can also call EE and get some isolator pads to use as a spacer. They are 10mm thick so if you put 2 on a spring, one top and one bottom, you're looking at about 3/4" increase in height. You can cheat it this way, I wouldn't sweat 1/4" too much, 1/2" or more I would try to fix.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 04:31 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
I got the kits from EE. I will try to give them a call and see.

thanks for the info guys,
bill
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:55 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Also, don't assume that it is entirely the springs--I have seen the purches being off--welcome to the wonderful world of rovers.
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:36 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Ok, Please say that it is not so. What would the remedy be if it is the purches.
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattarm
Ok, Please say that it is not so. What would the remedy be if it is the purches.
Spacer or BFH. No biggie

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions