OME spring set-up by intended use- used search function - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 14th, 2005, 11:47 AM
lactic
Adam
'95 D90 SW Arles Blue

OME spring set-up by intended use- used search function

I am ordering some OME springs to replace stock and was looking for recommendations on which configuation for general commuting and light trails mostly for access to fishing/camping/biking in CO. My 90 will not be doing anything trail rated above medium at best but I will be packing it up with the wife, 2 dogs, and gear for long weekends including 2 bikes. Currently the truck is stock and I have no intention (yet) or putting on a front bumper/winch but am looking to move the rear tire to the bonnet and adding a full roof rack. I might also be towing a quad in the future.

I have heard of
a.) HD all around will do everything but offer a harsh ride
b.) mediums all around since my use is mostly benign
c.) HD in the front/medium in the rear.

Shared experiences or recommendations?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

SW or ST? If a SW I say HDs in the rear for all that gear, dogs and roof rack anf MDs in the front, if ST then you should be OK with MDs all around.
Old October 14th, 2005, 12:05 PM
lactic
Adam
'95 D90 SW Arles Blue

Wagon

Thanks Mike! Got a SW.

Interesting. How do the stock springs compare to the field of OME?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

hmm, I think they are a little softer then MDs, but I have only been in a few D-90s with stock springs to compair. Most of what I said is taken from talking to other Defender owners, I have Rovertym springs.
Old October 14th, 2005, 12:53 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
I recently did this change myself, with the 751 front and 764 rear from the stock springs in a 95 SW. The ride on the original springs was softer and more road like. They also 4 wheeled just fine for even some of the harder trails I have went on around our area. As for a recommendation, I think mine are fine but I have a heavy bumper, hi-lift, winch and some other stuff crammed up front.

The MD's in the rear don't give even a litttle with a fully packed back and a roof rack. I have carried all kinds of stuff including, several full jerry cans and haven't noticed any difference or even compression in the rear.

I think either way, swapping the springs the ride will be definitely stiffer and something you will feel on the road. On the other side of the coin, there is almost no roll to mine anymore and with the stock there definitely was.

Feel free to contact me if you need anything!

Bill
Old October 14th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Interesting, Dave Souza (SW) and Ken Loy (ST swapped OEM rear springs, Dave had MDs in the rear and thought they were too soft, Ken had HDs in the rear and thought they were a bit stiff. I drove Dave's 90 and I thought with the HDs in the rear it was only a little harder then most, when Ken had the HDs in the rear it was a ruff ride, but with the MDs ride improved and there is almost no body lean. Of course one thing you can do is run softer shocks to help out with the ruff ride from heavier springs. Oh and take what i say with a grain of salt, my perception of a smooth or ruff ride is slightly skewed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions