OME or Fox shocks - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 19th, 2015, 08:59 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Paired with ome springs (HD front, medium rears) I'm really in the fence as I redo my suspension. Right now I'm not looking at other options I have TF, and on other cars/trucks I have never been happy with bilstein.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2015, 09:16 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
OME will be a solid turnkey ride. Fox shocks requires some valving and tuning, but will allow you to dial in your ride to EXACTLY how you want it. That being said, the Fox will be more expensive and require more maintenance.
Old December 19th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Roverdoc
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278

Robert, putting up my front fox 2.0 5/8 shaft 8.5 inch emulsion foxs (front pair only) when my new 2.0 reservoirs arrive. Perfect pairing for 2 inch lift. I have been happy with the fox set up and have done OME, bilstein 7100s, fox etc. pm if interested. Valved for D90 85/95
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2015, 11:07 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I think you should remember that OME are generic gas-charged emulsion shocks, and Fox shocks come in a variety of shocks, including a whole bunch of low-cost models, and the lowest-level rebuildable shocks in emulsion and monotube style.

I ran into this issue. You need to really understand what line of Fox shocks within the huge range of Fox shocks you're willing to pay for. Below a certain level, you might as well go with cheap-o gas charged shocks.
Old December 19th, 2015, 11:25 PM
Sarek
Ralf Sarek
1973 Series IIa 109 Pickup

Ome is my . I have seen 2 fox shocks shear the eyelet off on the trail and they were brand new......
Old December 19th, 2015, 11:36 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarek View Post
Ome is my . I have seen 2 fox shocks shear the eyelet off on the trail and they were brand new......
That'll happen when the shocks limit travel in either compression or extension
Old December 19th, 2015, 11:37 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarek View Post
I have one on my 94 as we speak...
Old December 19th, 2015, 11:41 PM
Sarek
Ralf Sarek
1973 Series IIa 109 Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
That'll happen when the shocks limit travel in either compression or extension
Yes. By design the shock limits the travel on a rr classic. I have not seen ome fail that way. It seemed like the fox is threaded on one end. The eyelet is a separate piece. Ome is one piece.
Old December 19th, 2015, 11:50 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Hey Rob,

The HD front OME's may be too stiff for your truck. Zack at RN talked me into going with the Standard OME's front and back with Fox 2.0 non-res shocks. The new springs leveled my truck out perfectly even with the RockWare bumper and Warn 9000 winch. The ride on and off road is 100% better than it was with my old Britpart +2" yellow springs and Cellular Dynamic shocks.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old December 20th, 2015, 12:01 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Bo, possibly... I'm going to give the HD springs a try now that I ditched the anti-roll bars front and rear.
Sounds like I'm going to stick with OME right now, I like the idea of the fox shock, but I'm going to go with a system. And the customer service I get from them on my other products.

Also I'm going to do the front shock towers and add cones to the rear.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old December 20th, 2015, 07:53 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i ordered some of the low end bolt in Fox shocks from Rovers North and one was built upside down. Rovers North has still not addressed this so shame on them. Eshocks is cheap. i wanted a "longer" shock, i did not want to deal with changing out mounts and valving etc. I bought these to replace a set of OME's that are blown out and leaking.

Ive been running OME 751/764's and the OME HD shocks on my 90 for many years with not issues.. im tempted to a set of KONI raids
Old December 20th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
i ordered some of the low end bolt in Fox shocks from Rovers North and one was built upside down. Rovers North has still not addressed this so shame on them. Eshocks is cheap. i wanted a "longer" shock, i did not want to deal with changing out mounts and valving etc. I bought these to replace a set of OME's that are blown out and leaking.

Ive been running OME 751/764's and the OME HD shocks on my 90 for many years with not issues.. im tempted to a set of KONI raids

Who have you been dealing with about it at RN? Seems odd that we wouldn't have supplied a replacement.

Fix flipped their design after people had issues with the mount shearing.

IMO I'd never run standard fitment shocks on my truck.

Yes it's more expensive and time consuming, but converting to 1/2" eye-eye shocks on both vehicles was the best thing I've done. I hate pin style shocks.
Old December 20th, 2015, 09:41 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
ive only ever seen one lower pin break on a shock. i dont spend as much time offroad as some folks and the OME have served me well for the most part.

my shock saga is going on to week 2. seems like a pretty simple solution to me i shouldve caught the construction issues before installation but it slipped by.
Old December 20th, 2015, 09:42 AM
CamelTM
Trevor
1998 Camel Trophy Defender 110 CT25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
Paired with ome springs (HD front, medium rears) I'm really in the fence as I redo my suspension. Right now I'm not looking at other options I have TF, and on other cars/trucks I have never been happy with bilstein.
I run Fox 2.0's resevoir in both my CT 110 and my Disco 2. The CT see's a lot of overlanding up in Alberta, Canada with lots of washboard roads (that,as it turns out, you don't notice you are driving on with these shocks). The Disco is almost exclusively a Moab trail rig and I really like the lack of fade when I'm running all day down in the heat of Moab. They're a solid choice if you decide to go that way.
Old December 20th, 2015, 09:53 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I had an OME break in Moab years ago, but I think it a fluke. I run Fox's now, and feel they are a step better IMHO.
So much depends on the use and expectation of the vehicle, not to mention driver preferences, so difficult to give one correct recommendation.
In the end, both OME and Fox are good products that can and will have an occasional glitch. Best to look at an overview than one or two specific instances...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 20th, 2015, 10:29 AM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
I have broken the upper eye off three ome shocks. I bought the "hd" kit from rovers north and after my first trail run I found the rear shocks were too short for the small amount of lift they provided. I then bought the terrafirma drop mounts to solve that problem. When the first shock failed I contacted ARB direct and they replaced it. Later that year both rears failed on a run in 8degree weather. When contacting arb this time they refused to replace and blamed the failures on my terrafirma drop mounts. I ended up welding the eye back on on all three shocks and now I carry one as a spare. I have been on runs with other people who have had the same failure with their ome. At this point I haven't had further issue and It has been two years since the last failure. Cant say that I would run the nitro chargers again at this point although they are matched well with the springs I have.
Old December 20th, 2015, 12:00 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

There's also the yellow and blue Bilstein shocks. I have them on my 2"lifted daily driver and they're a pretty good ride.
Old December 20th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
There's also the yellow and blue Bilstein shocks. I have them on my 2"lifted daily driver and they're a pretty good ride.
Agree about the bilstein shocks. I run 7100s but have run the more mundane ones before. Work great on and off road.
Old December 20th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I suggest the KISS principle applies. OME for simplicity works for me. Bilsteins may also be appropriate depending on your set up

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 20th, 2015, 04:52 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I suggest the KISS principle applies. OME for simplicity works for me. Bilsteins may also be appropriate depending on your set up
These are the ones I have. They are a straight bolt in component, no tuning required.
Land Rover Discovery Shock Kit (Front & Rear) - Atlantic British

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions