OME Lift Springs? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 5th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

OME Lift Springs?

What is the maximum amount of lift you can get from an OME spring without spacers? Thanks!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2004, 11:13 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

On a soft top I believe OME HD springs 751 and 762 will give you about 2.5 inches unladen. Check with John at Expedition Exchange for more.
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:41 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

764 front and 781 rear which should put you at 2.5-3" lift.
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2004, 05:06 PM
pangaea
Nathan Hindman
95 Discovery, D130

David,

Yousef is right, the 764/781 combination is about the tallest that you can get w/o spacers. But you may still need a rear spacer depending on how much gear you carry in the back.
Old April 5th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Okay, thanks. So what is the main difference between OME and Rovertym. Which ones are better in your opinions?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:50 PM
pangaea
Nathan Hindman
95 Discovery, D130

I'll preface this with the fact that my company sells OME springs, so you might take my information as being biased...

Personally, I think the manufacturing quality which goes into OME springs is much higher than that of the RTE springs. OME shot peens and scrags their springs which goes a long way towards reducing the sagging of the springs.

Most RTE springs that I've seen on the other hand tend to sag quite a bit over time (some over small lengths of time like a couple of months) and I've also seen a few pairs of springs bend or snap as a result of trail usage. This strikes me as very dangerous and I'd be very hesitant to recommend a spring that did that to anyone.
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:52 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I think RTE changed thier spring supplier/manufacturer
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:55 PM
pangaea
Nathan Hindman
95 Discovery, D130

Split up the post to keep it from being an eyesore...

As to the differences, the big difference is that you can get Rover Tym springs in longer free lengths than OME, and with higher lifts than the OME options.

I think that the longest free length on an OME spring is about 17" (OME 764) while I've seen a couple of RTE springs that were 22".

Overall, the RTE springs seem to be better suited to hard core rock crawling due to additional spring lengths and taller lifts, but they don't seem to have nearly the longevity that OME has.

By contrast, the OME springs are shorter and don't (generally) lift your truck as high, but will last alot longer.
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:30 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Had a chance to talk springs with Steve from Rovertym and he has changed the supplier for his springs.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old April 5th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Ok, one more question: How much lift do OME 759 springs provide? Thanks again! Oh, and spring rate if anybody knows would be very helpful.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:31 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

What's the deal here David? I thought you went with Coil overs all the way around..
Old April 6th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
What's the deal here David? I thought you went with Coil overs all the way around..
Come on now, we talked about this.. I have coilovers up front but in the rear they are NOT a good idea unless you are:

1. Lifting the vehicle over 7in or so
2. Cutting holes in your floor
3. Running no bed at all

I am not doing any of these and you can get just as much travel out of retained springs, you just need to get the right ones and so right now I am trying different spring and shock combos. I don't really like the springs I have right now all that much. And, I think 1 more inch of lift would be nice for all the junk I put in the back. Soooo, OME 759 lift and spring rate?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:04 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
How about the rym 3"ers I think they are 285-325 lb/in progressive. Or do you want higher? I think the RYM's flex better then OME.
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey Randy,

Yeah, I am thinking Rovertym at this point. I "think" the ome 759s that I have now are 260-300lbs and the med Rovertym is 285-325 which sounds pretty good to me especially since I could play around with the valving on the shocks. I still would want to verify with people here the spring rate for sure of the 759's and... Are the 2in springs that rovertym sells really 2.75in of lift and the 3in really 3.75? Randy, you might know this one! Thanks!!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:19 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm not sure since my body is off again and all the weight is not on the truck. But I can tell you that the 3"ers looker really high. Right now I have the 3" in the fron t and the 2" in the rear. THis was due to the TDI being real heavy up front
Old April 6th, 2004, 04:03 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

OME Spring Rates:

http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html

or

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/ome/indexsprings.htm
Old April 7th, 2004, 01:48 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Hmmm I guess I missed the part about the rear.
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:35 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

David, 759s are 260/300 lbs.
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Thanks guys! I am going to swap shocks and springs untill I get everything dialed in the way I want it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions