Defender Source Forum banner

OME 752 which way?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Factoid 
#1 ·
I just received a set of OME 752's. Which way do they go, closer spaced part of springs on the top or bottom?
Thanks

#9 ·
There are two reason for them to be at the top. They are not that important, but why put them in upsidedown? The first is to slightly reduce unsprung weight. The second is to reduce the chance of the coils getting jambed up by debris and this is the most likely real problem.

#11 ·
Like Soronoros said, I have read that it doesn't matter if the close coils are on top or bottom which makes sense.

I have to say that second reason is a pretty good one especially for the front.

Although I do have a counter view: I have been going over many scenarios for mounting my LR progressive rate rear springs (Green Green White) as I would like them retained but the tight coils seem too tight to get a plate inside. If I go retained top and bottom I'll have to run them upside down as the only retaining I will be able to use is thinner gauge but covers more of a the coil and with the "frame spring basket" it would be a nightmare to get it to work on the top.

#10 ·
About 30 seconds after posting that, I started doubting myself. I always try to remember that the correct way was the opposite of what Arkonic had posted... sure enough after some digging I recalled it was on Instagram. (I had the wrong reference picture. DOH!)

Correct, Red90, close coils at the top. Opposite of the photo.

Attachments

#12 ·
That was exactly the issue I had when I installed mine.

I’ll add that on a control arm equipped vehicle with independent suspension, it is more important to install the close section on the bottom closest to the control arm in order to realize the true engineered variable spring rates. It doesn’t really matter on a solid axle vehicle for spring performance, but I like Johns point about debris.

Attachments

#14 ·
The other reason, with front springs, is having the close coils on the bottom makes it hard to grab the shock body when undoing the nut.

As Ed is alluding to, the spring acts exactly the same installed either way.

Reactions: jrod770
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.