OME 2766 and 2781 review - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 15th, 2013, 04:58 PM
1988 90
OME 2766 and 2781 review

So I just swapped out my old tired shock springs which were sitting on 2" spacers from the previous owner, and got in a set of new to me, lighlty used set of OME springs ( thanks Jason!)

Swapping it in my driveway only took a few hours. The rears were a cinch and I didn't even have to unbolt the radius arms.

On the front, i did have to wiggle and pry the new springs in. They were just the right size that I didnt need to disconnect a whole bunch of things, or use a spring compressor. I had previously put in new radius arm bushings on my RH side, and used this as good time to get the new ones on the LH side put in.... that added another 30min to the job, plus a quick run to NAPA. For $20 having them press the old ones out and new ones in was WAY worth it.

I also put in isolators on top of the springs, both the rears and the fronts.
Part numbers ANR2938 for the rear, RBC100111 for the front

My truck had a set of bilstiens in already so I left them for now. They seem to be in good shape so I didn't bother changing. Good dampning and no signs of damage.

All said and done... what a friggin difference. Bumps no longer sound and feel like I'm falling down steps inside a filing cabinet. It almost feels...dare i say... refined!

Its noticably quiter, you dont hear every squeek and rattle from the smallest bumps. I'm sure the isolators are to thank for this. I'm just kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

As for the lift, it jacked me up a hair more than what I was. about 2.5" all around. It sits pretty evenly. Maybe just a fraction of an inch higher in the front.

I was worried the springs would be too hard/tall.. but being I have a winch and a diesel i thought i'd better got for the HD fronts.

I chose the 2781 for the rear b/c when I go on trips, I'll have alot more gear in the back. That being said driving around with nothing in the truck other than my tool box and recovery box, the ride felt fine and much better than it was.

I wouldn't mind if it was a tad shorter on the lift... but with more gear in the truck I'm sure it will drop down another 1/2" easy.

I will test it out at the ROMP and see if I get some better articulation with the full spring lift and not the spacers... I'm sure I will.

Hope this helps anyone trying to decide on some springs.

1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Old January 15th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi
Awesome! Glad you like them. It's a great combo. Need a pic.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions