OK, Yet another Intermittent Dying-at-the-Light Thread - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 5th, 2014, 09:50 AM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Replaced fuel filter

Had what may have been the original fuel filter an AC GF-651 made in UK. Replaced it with Fram G3727. Filled it with fresh gas, Shell premium 93oct but no improvement. Acted up within 25 miles. Gonna check Dist, rotor, plugs wires to coil in a bit. After that what's best direction?
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2014, 05:26 PM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Progress. Maybe.

Went & cleaned all the corrosion-able connections i could find. Found the VSS cleaned its connectors. When I went to check the vacuum leaks, started with the most obvious y'all recommended, the big hose from MAF to Plenum. Barely touched the hose on the MAF side & it came loose, barely hanging on. Loosened it up, cleaned the MAF up with carb cleaner, tightened the hose with a bigger better hose clamp than the dinky one that was on there & about 20 or so miles & so far no problems. Definitely idles smoother, no drops to the 3-400 range & hasn't died yet. But gonna run it some more & see how it does. Thanks to all of y'all for your advice. Will follow up later.
Old July 5th, 2014, 09:36 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTRPh View Post
Went & cleaned all the corrosion-able connections i could find. Found the VSS cleaned its connectors. When I went to check the vacuum leaks, started with the most obvious y'all recommended, the big hose from MAF to Plenum. Barely touched the hose on the MAF side & it came loose, barely hanging on. Loosened it up, cleaned the MAF up with carb cleaner, tightened the hose with a bigger better hose clamp than the dinky one that was on there & about 20 or so miles & so far no problems. Definitely idles smoother, no drops to the 3-400 range & hasn't died yet. But gonna run it some more & see how it does. Thanks to all of y'all for your advice. Will follow up later.
Did you check the big hose for integrity? Mine had small holes underneath so wasn't really functioning well as a hose.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2014, 01:36 PM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Problem Solved...for now.

200 miles after cleaning the low-hanging electrical-connection fruit & tightening up the maf fat hose up, now the 90 is running fine. So looks like it was that hose clamp on the maf end that came loose causing my problems.
Jason, thanx for pointing out the possible holes, cracks. Whilst waiting for temp to cool down outside & under the hood i ran across this thread http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...&highlight=maf
and was skeered to mess with that fat hose again cause of the brittle-ness. I checked it over really close, all over with mirror but it has been running normal so gonna wait n see if that hose from geared restoration shows up. If it doesn't & if I have to, I'll pull the fixit with duct tape kinda trick.
Thanx guys, letya know if things change.
Old July 9th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

I know you say that it is running fine now but my ??? to you is have you ever had all your adaptives set by someone that actually knows what they are doing? Most issues are due to everything being outta whack and not an actual part being bad...such as you installed a new stepper motor but did you go back and reset your base idle? It's not just a plug-in a new one and you're done type of situation.
Old July 9th, 2014, 09:13 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
.... cleaned the MAF up with carb cleaner, tightened...
Great that the loose hose might have been the issue. BTW - carb cleaner leaves a solvent behind and its solvents are too harsh. MAF cleaner is more like an electronics cleaner and evaporates leaving no residue. Save that carb cleaner for your lawn mower.
Question for the group - my two cents is if using an OEM type paper air filter the MAF wire could be left alone. However, if using an aftermarket oil impregnated K&N filter or similar, it is the oil particles from those filters that fowl the heated wire in the MAF.
Old July 9th, 2014, 09:46 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverchef View Post
I know you say that it is running fine now but my ??? to you is have you ever had all your adaptives set by someone that actually knows what they are doing? Most issues are due to everything being outta whack and not an actual part being bad...such as you installed a new stepper motor but did you go back and reset your base idle? It's not just a plug-in a new one and you're done type of situation.
Can you explain the correlation between base idle and the stepper motor please?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 9th, 2014, 11:02 AM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverchef View Post
No re-setting of anything. Took the old stepper out, put new one in, acted up within 25 miles, took the new one out, put the old one back in. Then cleaned connections with non-residue contact cleaner & tightened up maf hose. Runs fine, idles smooth, stays at ~800 at stops. So aside from cleaning & tightening that's it, no other variables introduced into the equation here. Nothing else has been required 250 miles later. Why would any adaptives have to be set?

Didn't know about MAF cleaner vs Carb Cleaner. Is there enough residue now to have to re-clean with MAF cleaner this far down the road or just use it from here on out? That is done with every air cleaner change?
Old July 9th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Didn't know about MAF cleaner vs Carb Cleaner. Is there enough residue now to have to re-clean with MAF cleaner this far down the road or just use it from here on out? That is done with every air cleaner change?
14CUX mass air flow sensors are pretty tough, I think you'll be fine if you haven't had an issue so far.
Old July 9th, 2014, 12:12 PM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Thanx Jimmy.
Bill, any word on your end?
Old July 9th, 2014, 12:30 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Can I get your new stepper?
Old July 9th, 2014, 12:56 PM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
autozone actually took it back n gave me a full refund
Old July 10th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Can you explain the correlation between base idle and the stepper motor please?
There are 180 steps to the stepper motor and by adjusting the base idle you are adjusting the steps. The happy # for 14cux seems to be about 160. GEMS is around 20. Does that make sense? There are actual #'s you are looking for when tuning these things. If you don't have the equipment to see these readings then I would pull the stepper and clean it and tighten down the base idle screw and then back it out 1 1/2 turns. This should get you in the ballpark. Please do this with the engine off.
Old July 10th, 2014, 01:14 PM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Wow, thanx! Do I need to do this even tho the "original" stepper is back on & it's idling nice & stable?
Also, just for preventative work, I wanted to replace the fuel relays. I now know they're supposed to be on the PS foot kick panel near the ECU but I can not see those. Mine has an aftermarket AC. Could they be behind that on the firewall(please say no)?

Quote:
Replaced the idle control valve with a new BorgWarner icv & within 25 miles the 90 acted up with a new twist. I'd been driving around stop n go, all seemed well, then stopped for about 30-45 minutes, headed out again & going about 30mph it started cutting out, backfiring & had to pull over. This is a new development. The last time it did something like this was from starting at a stop light, misfiring, pulled over & corrected itself without re-starting. This time I stopped it cuz it was running so rough at idle, restarted & ran ok the 5 miles or so back to the house. I took out the new icv, put the "original" icv back in & it has continued to run just fine for the last 100 or so miles after. Did the electronics need to learn there was a new icv or something or is it a track down the electrical gremlins like y'all've said, (Ignition amplifier failure-?). Jason you'd mention vss_?
Old July 10th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

Those old metal Bosch relays seem to either work or not. Do you know how set your timing? If not then I would leave the base idle alone since you are opening Pandora's box @ this point.
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:30 PM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Update Bump

500+ miles and all is well. Tightening the MAF hose clamp seemed to do the trick.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht